BBC4 Vietnam War

Found 18th Oct 2017Edited by:"dealpickle"
In many articles i've read about documentary series The Vietnam War on US websites, it's referred to as an 18-hour TV series. However, on BBC4 it's being shown in 10 one-hour parts. Are we seeing an edited version or is the US running time including adverts?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
A very good series factual, neutral and not as judgemental as most documentaries on the subject , it doesn't appear edited to me . 18 x 35 minute chunks for US seems about right if you consider extra opening titles ,closing titles and 3 or 4 ad breaks . Recording the series , just watched the first two so far .
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Oct 2017
Agree, looks to be a very good series - very educational, so much that I did not know and I've just seen the first episode so far!

I think the BBC showing must be edited - if you view it on Kodi (or one of the Android apps) each of the 10 episodes are between 1:20 and 1:45 long. These are running times without adverts.

I have been recording it but will have a look at the longer episodes online first.
Gollywood36 m ago

Richard Nixon. What an evil, vile, egotistical power crazed cu*t

Yes. A lot like Trump. He totally tried to obliterate the opposition be all means legal or not.

Mostly illegal. (nearly all illegal) So much so the CIA couldnt cover up for him as there were so many holes.
Gollywood3 h, 8 m ago

Richard Nixon. What an evil, vile, egotistical power crazed cu*t

Or just a plain old sociopath like many in powerful positions
I watched the first 5 episodes, very good and goes far beyond the usual "war" with extensive background going back to ww2. Adding up the time for each episode (sans ads) from IMDb gives a total of 16.5 hours. A typical broadcast hour is 45 mins of a show, so 16.5 would be 22 hours, though it's not in 1 hour chunks so maybe less ad time but I'd still say 18 hours is way out. Whatever way you look at it, a long way from 10 hours so must be edited versions.
Thanks to all who replied. Think i'll pick up the (presumably unedited) DVD.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions