Be Aware! Booking.com - Level 2 Genius - False Advertising

Posted 29th Oct
Hello folks,

I just want to make everyone aware of the false advertising techniques used by booking.com

I am going to Thailand in January and I have booked a hotel via booking.com

The Royal Paradise Hotel & Spa

If you are checking the hotel for the period 6th January - 13th January you will see that in incognito mode the base price is £716

3319027.jpg
For the same period, but logged into the booking.com account and being a Level 2 genius the base price is £796

3319027.jpg
WOW, amazing, as you are a level 2 they are offering you a 12% discount which comes down to £701

3319027.jpg
In reallity, they increased the base price from £716 to £796 and after they applied the 12% discount.

How can this types of company can use such techniques? I would rather be happy to tell me the right price and offer just a small 2-3% disccount.

If they would have offered a 12% disccount on the public price this would come to a total of £630.08

Raised the case with booking.com but seems that they understand what is the issuee but they said that the screenschoots are not clear enough or that the foreign curency exchange for 27135 THB within a minute timeframe can vary from £716 to £796.

I would rather book directly with the hotel rather than going through booking.com

What is your opinion?
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
Depends on you version of “false advertising” and a regular customer usually gets shafted. O2 point blank refused to get me a better deal than a new customer does this fall under false advertising?
i don't believe companies would do that sort of thing!
You have to be so savvy not to be tricked!!!
Edited by: "sunsetsarah90210" 29th Oct
@DanSpaghetti

Case 1 - O2
They clearly advertise that there is a price for new customers and there is another price for current customers.

Case 2 - Booking
They advertise something to new customers and they deceive current customers highlighting the fact that they are receiving 12% discount from the public price

Is it the same thing? Is it in the picture the same public price? They are fuly aware that the public price advertised is false and they are tring to feel like you have done an amazing deal with them by being a Level 2 genius.
fantomel29/10/2019 11:21

@DanSpaghetti Case 1 - O2They clearly advertise that there is a price for …@DanSpaghetti Case 1 - O2They clearly advertise that there is a price for new customers and there is another price for current customers.Case 2 - BookingThey advertise something to new customers and they deceive current customers highlighting the fact that they are receiving 12% discount from the public priceIs it the same thing? Is it in the picture the same public price? They are fuly aware that the public price advertised is false and they are tring to feel like you have done an amazing deal with them by being a Level 2 genius.

Not logged in you’re a new customer - better deal
Logged in current customer - poor deal but made to feel special like most companies do.

Why do you often see people say take out virgin under your partners name or make a new email account to receive X? I’m not justifying it I’m just saying.
What happens when selecting the lower price in Incognito and then Logging in?
I always find the best price online now, and phone hotels directly as they nearly always price match, means these shady booking agents don't get any money from the booking
Is this the same place?38831266-svv2A.jpg
Nothing concrete but no matter what the travel/holiday site I tend to browse incognito as I've always had the suspicion if they think you're interested in something they'll raise the prices!
JR198629/10/2019 12:07

I always find the best price online now, and phone hotels directly as they …I always find the best price online now, and phone hotels directly as they nearly always price match, means these shady booking agents don't get any money from the booking

Same here, recently got B&B direct with hotel for same price as room only with online agents.
l2wis29/10/2019 11:50

Raise it to the ASA who will investigate: …Raise it to the ASA who will investigate: https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Don't think ASA will have any interest nor jurisdiction over a (presumed) NL-based company.
AndyRoyd29/10/2019 14:36

Don't think ASA will have any interest nor jurisdiction over a (presumed) …Don't think ASA will have any interest nor jurisdiction over a (presumed) NL-based company.

The rules of the country you're trading in apply not the company's country of origin.
Edited by: "l2wis" 4th Nov
l2wis04/11/2019 11:33

The rules of the country you're trading in apply not the company's country …The rules of the country you're trading in apply not the company's country of origin.

Repeat: Don't think ASA will have any interest nor jurisdiction over a (presumed) NL-based company.
A foreign trader has no obligation to conform to UK legislation/expectations, but a European country may. Unlike each European countries' financial regulators that have reciprocal passporting agreements to recognise and regulate other member states' Euro-based financial institutions, I don't think the same applies to the advertising regulators. Will be happy to stand corrected.
l2wis04/11/2019 11:33

The rules of the country you're trading in apply not the company's country …The rules of the country you're trading in apply not the company's country of origin.

Still likely the UK-based ASA has no jurisdiction over b.c but the European Advertising Alliance may have a wrist-slapping capability. However EASA is self-regulating so (presumably) has no legal powers in any member state, including UK
easa-alliance.org/abo…ust
If it's the same hotel

THE ROYAL PARADISE HOTEL & SPA - Phuket

The same price booking direct with hotel, only requires a 50% deposit, and there seemed to be a 10% discount for 1st order (wasn't going to register to verify)

EDIT: I used throwaway email address and much of the same. The new price is 27135 THB so not 10% discount at all.

Gives you the opportunity to ensure you're happy with the room prior to paying the full amount

38898494-GEQ6k.jpg
Edited by: "OllieSt" 4th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants