Be first to spot eBay Buy It Now bargains/misprices

Found 29th Aug 2011
Since the recent "Buy It Now from eBay US site" tip is nearly the hottest of all time I thought I'd try sharing a bit of a gem of my own that goes along not dissimilar lines. (Please try this out before voting cold...)

As any seasoned eBay buyer knows, every now and then sellers set their Buy It Now prices way too low. Problem is, there's usually only one being sold and if mispriced it's generally snapped up pretty quick as the contract is binding! eBay has an "email alerts" facility but the problem is it's ssllllooooow... often takes a couple of days for the email to get through and by that time the genuine bargains have nearly always gone.

Here's an alternative site that does a similar thing but sends out the emails far quicker:

auctionsearchkit.co.uk/ale…ts/

It lets you paste in an eBay URL and then sends emails every hour if any newly listed items match. Only really useful if you've done a search in eBay already, seen the sorts of buy it now prices for the item you want and then set a total price lower than the going rate. It also helps to refine your search as much as possible e.g. to exclude broken/faulty items** and those items you weren't really looking for.

** Use the minus symbol to exclude a keyword in your search e.g. "iPod -fault* -spares -repairs".

I've found some great bargains using this method, sometimes need to wait a while but if you get a feel for the minimum price at a particular time, put in a lower price and then just wait, you usually get rewarded in the end. Hope this helps some people out there...

[Disclaimer: As always, caveat emptor applies, this is eBay not a shop so watch out for scams or suspiciously low priced items - check out the seller's rating and even then be cautious - hopefully you should know all this anyway but can't be repeated too many times :-)]

21 Comments

Nice linky, thanks

ebay bids are not legally binding!

Do you put the -spares etc values in the URL field? As part of the URL?

Original Poster

No the URL is the link in the address bar to your eBay search e.g. if you searched for "test" it would look like this: ebay.co.uk/sch…ies

As for legally binding I thought it would be for a Buy It Now? Or maybe it's just eBay would wants us to think that...

stec00

No the URL is the link in the address bar to your eBay search e.g. if you … No the URL is the link in the address bar to your eBay search e.g. if you searched for "test" it would look like this: [url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3Dtest%26_sop%3D15%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=test&_sop=15&_sacat=See-All-Categories[/url]As for legally binding I thought it would be for a Buy It Now? Or maybe it's just eBay would wants us to think that...

I know what a URL is. I was asking where the exclusion parameters are placed in the OPs example.

Original Poster

Sorry TUSSFC, didn't mean to insult your intelligence but it sounded like you were just putting your keywords in the URL field. If you do your search in eBay put the exclusion parameters in the keywords box and then hit submit - when the results appear you can then copy the URL across, hope that makes sense.

Q of my own - this is my first deal post so bear with me - can see this post in my profile but can't find it on the forums - did I submit it properly as a deal and if so where is it?! Cheers...

TUSSFC

I know what a URL is. I was asking where the exclusion parameters are … I know what a URL is. I was asking where the exclusion parameters are placed in the OPs example.

search title.

matt3454

ebay bids are not legally binding!

that, just because someone misprices something on ebay doesn't mean you are going to get it, many sellers just refuse to send it. A buy it now is not legally binding, they can still refund you and refuse to sell it. There was a case of a business seller a while back selling tools at a misprice because they had forgot to put a number in, sold loads but all were cancelled.

Sorry but its the same with any shop, any misprice can be refused to be sold at that price.

stec00

Sorry TUSSFC, didn't mean to insult your intelligence but it sounded like … Sorry TUSSFC, didn't mean to insult your intelligence but it sounded like you were just putting your keywords in the URL field. If you do your search in eBay put the exclusion parameters in the keywords box and then hit submit - when the results appear you can then copy the URL across, hope that makes sense.Q of my own - this is my first deal post so bear with me - can see this post in my profile but can't find it on the forums - did I submit it properly as a deal and if so where is it?! Cheers...

you posted in in misc, not deals, and its not a deal anyway.

stec00

Sorry TUSSFC, didn't mean to insult your intelligence but it sounded like … Sorry TUSSFC, didn't mean to insult your intelligence but it sounded like you were just putting your keywords in the URL field. If you do your search in eBay put the exclusion parameters in the keywords box and then hit submit - when the results appear you can then copy the URL across, hope that makes sense.Q of my own - this is my first deal post so bear with me - can see this post in my profile but can't find it on the forums - did I submit it properly as a deal and if so where is it?! Cheers...

This isn't a deal so it is in the Misc section.

Original Poster

just because someone misprices something on ebay doesn't mean you are … just because someone misprices something on ebay doesn't mean you are going to get it

Fair point but I've been doing this a while and haven't yet had a seller refuse to sell me something once. Of course there's a difference between a misprice where e.g. the seller forgot to put a zero on the end and one where they just guessed at what their item was worth. In the first case, fair enough if they don't want to honour it!

Original Poster

This isn't a deal so it is in the Misc section.

Guess so but the other one was and I posted the link to the deal separately, which seems to have been removed? Oh well, there goes my dreams of reaching second hottest of all time :-)

This maybe ?

or even this ?

the second one looks like a scam, new seller - low price/no feedback and about 30 odd to sell.

littlepinkstarz

the second one looks like a scam, new seller - low price/no feedback and … the second one looks like a scam, new seller - low price/no feedback and about 30 odd to sell.

I agree,but if the first (140598585183) one is the player I think it is,then it's sells for over £100 BNIB.

Original Poster

Yeah, can't be too wary of buying suspiciously low priced electrical goods off a zero-rated eBayer.

no good to me, alerts are not real time

took over 30mins for alert- useless

WheresMeNuts

I agree,but if the first (140598585183) one is the player I think it … I agree,but if the first (140598585183) one is the player I think it is,then it's sells for over £100 BNIB.

Isnt it the cheaper model of the two? Looks about right to me, but I could be wrong.

i would still be wary of the first one, where did they get 10 to sell? also the account hasnt been used since may except for one purchase and a stock photo.

talking about misprices, this seems to be a bargain 170683387342

Original Poster

no good to me, alerts are not real timetook over 30mins for alert- useless

The alerts are every hour as mentioned in my post - this means you get alerted anything between 0 and 60 minutes after a new item is listed - don't think that's too bad (well it's far better than eBay's own version anyway).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants