Protecting your online accounts, DO NOT USE YOUR MOBILE NUMBER TO VERIFY beware of SIM JACKING.

Posted 22nd AprEdited by:"vinit"
For any of you who are using their mobile phone numbers for phone banking or verifying your online email and social account please be advised. My niece was hacked last week and the hackers got the PAC code from 3 and transferred the number to another networking( in her case Vodafone) and 3 have not done anything to help. They have washed their hands off. The hacker had access to their bank accounts, emails, social accounts as she had used that phone number to verify those accounts , They and even tried to get the deposit back from the landlord after going through her emails. 3 don't have any security policies in place for anyone to obtain your PAC code. It is also a good idea to remove your phone number associated with any online accounts and use an authenticator app like google authenticator for 2 factor verification authentication. This is because if your SIM card is hacked and you have associated your phone number, the recovery code will go to the hacker and not you. With 2FA like google authenticator the code is on the app and not associated with a mobile number.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
"Someone I know"

Go ask them what really happened!
57 Comments
That’s quite a big claim to make.
How would a random hacker try to get their deposit ? How would they know who they rent from etc..
"Someone I know"

Go ask them what really happened!
Sim jacking is the term I think, but why specifically 3? I’m sure it’s just the same with other networks
Very big claim to make with zero evidence, maybe the "someone i know" is off with the fairy's
Mark_Hickman22/04/2020 11:31

How would a random hacker try to get their deposit ? How would they know …How would a random hacker try to get their deposit ? How would they know who they rent from etc..

Ok here is what happened. They got access to the phone number using the pac code provided by 3 they transferred it from 3 to Vodafone. then they accessed the gmail account using the phone number to verify it and changed the password. Upon accessing the emails they read about the banks and tried to contact them and tried to transfer money and called the landlord asking for the deposit.
Jordan_Taylor22/04/2020 11:52

Very big claim to make with zero evidence, maybe the "someone i know" is …Very big claim to make with zero evidence, maybe the "someone i know" is off with the fairy's

This has happened to my niece last week and therefore I am putting it out there. It isn't a claim but a fact. Nobody is asking for your comments and your views on the matter. I'm doing this to help people know the facts. If you don't want to read about facts then please refrain from putting stupid comments. There is an ongoing case on this matter.
shadowfall22/04/2020 11:52

Sim jacking is the term I think, but why specifically 3? I’m sure it’s jus …Sim jacking is the term I think, but why specifically 3? I’m sure it’s just the same with other networks

Yes you're right. I can only talk about what has affected us and in this case it is 3. As far as I know EE are very good as they ask for a license or a photo id before they give it out and they only send it to the owners address.
StonkwellBogtrotter22/04/2020 11:41

"Someone I know" Go ask them what really happened!

Happened to my niece last week I was there, I'm only trying to tell people what to do and that using a phone number as a 2FA isn't safe anymore and to use an authenticator app like google which uses random numbers every 30 seconds. remove your number and use this instead,
Edited by: "vinit" 22nd Apr
I’m sure you have to send a text “pac” with your date of birth to obtain a pac code?
Buckyball22/04/2020 12:11

Sure, get a life.

Got one and its great thanks and btw I didn't mention that, read my post first. Using your mobile as 2FA isn't safe anymore. Using an authenticator is way safer currently.
vinit22/04/2020 11:59

This has happened to my niece last week and therefore I am putting it out …This has happened to my niece last week and therefore I am putting it out there. It isn't a claim but a fact. Nobody is asking for your comments and your views on the matter. I'm doing this to help people know the facts. If you don't want to read about facts then please refrain from putting stupid comments. There is an ongoing case on this matter.

Wow didn't you get triggered quick.

"Nobody is asking your comments and your views on the matter" yet you put this in the discussion tab 🤭🤭

"please refrain from putting stupid comments" that comment got old quick 🤭🤭
Jordan_Taylor22/04/2020 12:19

Wow didn't you get triggered quick."Nobody is asking your comments and …Wow didn't you get triggered quick."Nobody is asking your comments and your views on the matter" yet you put this in the discussion tab 🤭🤭"please refrain from putting stupid comments" that comment got old quick 🤭🤭

Yes, A discussion for people to say something useful and share useful tips. You obviously don't know how to use these platforms to benefit anybody but to poke at them and make it personal. I have shared this for others to realise that this can happen and to be weary as it has happened to a family member and it has been a huge worry and task. people could end up losing their privacy and life savings and it could be drastic. If you can't see that then you can kindly stop putting nasty crap on here nobody wants to see. I'm sure there are many other platforms that would welcome such utter junk the you are coming upon with. Please stick to the point.
"DO NOT do this if you are on the 3 or any other network"

Calling out ALL networks for what 3 did (or didn't do) seems a bit harsh!
shadowfall22/04/2020 12:10

I’m sure you have to send a text “pac” with your date of birth to obtain a …I’m sure you have to send a text “pac” with your date of birth to obtain a pac code?

Hi,
Thats the clever bit and that's why many people are blaming the call centres that are assisting hackers. The call centres are abroad and they don't have any laws that protect their customers currently so the best thing one can do is be sensible and protect yourself, same happening with credit card details as well. there are lots of people who have suffered and the more information on safety we can spread the better. Its ggod to ask the network how you are protected. I know that EE use local UK based call centres and obtaining a pac does require a license or photo id so that's slightly better but not fool proof, best not to use mobile numbers for verification,
Edited by: "vinit" 22nd Apr
cis_groupie22/04/2020 12:29

"DO NOT do this if you are on the 3 or any other network" Calling out ALL …"DO NOT do this if you are on the 3 or any other network" Calling out ALL networks for what 3 did (or didn't do) seems a bit harsh!

Agreed I have changed it
Buckyball22/04/2020 12:11

Sure, get a life.

realistically use of a phone for this has never been that safe it’s just accepted that it will do because it’s better than security questions and easy to deploy.

this method you are describing op is well documented, it’s fairly easy to port a phone number now and this does happen.
say what
Mark_Hickman22/04/2020 11:31

How would a random hacker try to get their deposit ? How would they know …How would a random hacker try to get their deposit ? How would they know who they rent from etc..

Good point
When you say 3 hasn’t helped. What steps have you taken to get help from them?
Dannyrobbo22/04/2020 12:39

realistically use of a phone for this has never been that safe it’s just a …realistically use of a phone for this has never been that safe it’s just accepted that it will do because it’s better than security questions and easy to deploy.this method you are describing op is well documented, it’s fairly easy to port a phone number now and this does happen.

I use a Yubico security key for authentication. Good bit of kit.

I also have a few payments set up to a Privacy.com card.
I highly recommend Privacy.com
The networks text pac codes to you so they would need your mobile and passcode.
Craig201822/04/2020 13:11

When you say 3 hasn’t helped. What steps have you taken to get help from t …When you say 3 hasn’t helped. What steps have you taken to get help from them?

Trying to reclaim the hacked number. Called them several times and asked them over chat and the answer was we can't help you.
vinit22/04/2020 13:32

Trying to reclaim the hacked number. Called them several times and asked …Trying to reclaim the hacked number. Called them several times and asked them over chat and the answer was we can't help you.

Have you got that in writing that they cannot help you? What did they suggest as the next steps that you take? Did they give a reason as to why they couldn’t help you?
Chris999999999999922/04/2020 13:18

The networks text pac codes to you so they would need your mobile and …The networks text pac codes to you so they would need your mobile and passcode.

they obviously have way around it otherwise it wouldn't have happened but it did
Must be an internal job then at three, probably best to contact the police and write to three
Chris999999999999922/04/2020 13:42

Must be an internal job then at three, probably best to contact the police …Must be an internal job then at three, probably best to contact the police and write to three

Yes that's what we are suspecting as their call centres are abroad and we don't have a clue about their laws and how they protect their customers form such events,
Craig201822/04/2020 13:33

Have you got that in writing that they cannot help you? What did they …Have you got that in writing that they cannot help you? What did they suggest as the next steps that you take? Did they give a reason as to why they couldn’t help you?

They just said we will contact the fraud team and et you know we are still waiting to get that number back and hear from them its an everyday hassle to chat to them esp at times like these.
vinit22/04/2020 13:20

Comment deleted

I just gave decent advice to use a physical authentication key and use privacy. Com to pay for the phone bill.

No I'm not here to whined people up, i help quite a few on here and i just added used tips and advice above
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 22nd Apr
Chris999999999999922/04/2020 13:18

The networks text pac codes to you so they would need your mobile and …The networks text pac codes to you so they would need your mobile and passcode.

you can call them up also, then it depends on the guy you are speaking to they will give it over the phone and especially if you are pay as you go they don’t really care and are more than happy to . On pay monthly you just have to get past some weak security.
Tip: You can turn on the added security of sim lock on your phone settings which applies an additional 4-digit code which it will request if your sim is cloned and every time your phone turned on/off.

Extra layer of security - but don’t forget the code as only 4-attempts then the sim becomes permanently locked and would need to be replaced by your service provider!

On an iPhone it’s settings > mobile data > sim pin
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 22nd Apr
vinit22/04/2020 12:01

...As far as I know EE are very good as they ask for a license or a photo …...As far as I know EE are very good as they ask for a license or a photo id before they give it out and they only send it to the owners address.

That's an interesting concept. How would EE verify the authenticity of the licence/ID? How would EE store a record of the licence/ID? How long would EE store a record of the licence/ID? If EE requested any personal ID that EE was unable to verify I suspect most security-aware customers would tell EE to (bleep).
The employees shouldn’t see pac codes it should just be sent by sms to the number it relates to

You need to report it to the police, a crime has been committed
Edited by: "Chris9999999999999" 15th May
AndyRoyd22/04/2020 14:54

That's an interesting concept. How would EE verify the authenticity of the …That's an interesting concept. How would EE verify the authenticity of the licence/ID? How would EE store a record of the licence/ID? How long would EE store a record of the licence/ID? If EE requested any personal ID that EE was unable to verify I suspect most security-aware customers would tell EE to (bleep).

when I've been to the store in person they have asked for it and taken a copy of the license over the phone they send it to your home address after verification
vinit22/04/2020 15:29

when I've been to the store in person they have asked for it and taken a …when I've been to the store in person they have asked for it and taken a copy of the license over the phone they send it to your home address after verification

After verification of what? Thanks.
Bluefusion22/04/2020 14:11

Tip: You can turn on the added security of sim lock on your phone settings …Tip: You can turn on the added security of sim lock on your phone settings which applies an additional 4-digit code which it will request if your sim is cloned and every time your phone turned on/off.Extra layer of security - but don’t forget the code as only 4-attempts then the sim becomes permanently locked and would need to be replaced by your service provider!On an iPhone it’s settings > mobile data > sim pin

So if someone gets a new sim with your number after getting a Pac from your network will the lock on the new sim still remain?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions