Groups

Because I know you're all smart... help with using TV as a second monitor. :)

Ok, I have done a bit of googling on this but seem to be getting conflicting info.

I have a decent pc but a carpyish oldish tv, not a fancy plasma or lcd. can I use the tv as a second monitor? what connectors and wires would I need?
    Basically I have some videos I took in avi format I'd like to be able to watch on the tv without first formatting to a dvd.

Is it possible without buying a HD tv? lol

7 Comments

depends on so much, graphics card, tv inputs etc.
    You will always get a rubbish picture though :-(

Some info here but it's not an easy thing to do. Best off buying a cheap tft monitor imho

ask.metafilter.com/988…tor

has your tv got the three colour inputs on the side or back? i was told to use vga from laptop to those-but then found vga on my tv too as its a new tv..

im not technical as you can tell!

Yes as I do it

You need a graphics card that has a TV out port. That will either be a standard ]composite cable or ]S Video

Depending on your TV either one of them may just plug straight into your TV if not you need one of ]these to go into your scart socket

The only problem then is the sound is coming from your PC speakers and not your TV. To get around that I have one of ]these I then connect my speakers normally to that and then in the other socket one of ]these.

So you have your video cable coming from your graphics card and then two from your sound card. Buy a nice long ]composite cable then connect it all up, you may new a few adapters though ot get the right ends on you cable

Original Poster

I do have the three coloured inputs things on the tv, but I think the wii uses them?

My graphics card is an nvidia 8800gt, I'll have to get behind pc and have a look at the ports.

Sound isnt really a problem as i have the pc set through the stereo speakers anyway.

ChipSticks;3063775

I do have the three coloured inputs things on the tv, but I think the wii … I do have the three coloured inputs things on the tv, but I think the wii uses them? My graphics card is an nvidia 8800gt, I'll have to get behind pc and have a look at the ports.Sound isnt really a problem as i have the pc set through the stereo speakers anyway.

if the tv is old i think you will have to unplug the wii but you may be better advised to take a pic of the back of your tv and add to this thread as that what i did to get help! it was then i noticed i had the computer specific connection:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Sorry for the delay, have been quite busy.

I have had a look behind the pc and also the TV. the wii plugs into a scart lead adapter thing as the three coloured ports are on the front of the TV. I think I have a TV out port on the graphics card too, although I don't know for sure what one looks like, but after a quick google I think there is one, lol.

So basically is there a cable that has the 3 coloured connectors at one end and an end for the tv out? is it that simple? Does the cable have a name, I don't fancy going to the shop and askin for a "thingymajig to make thingymabobsit work" lol.

thanks guys & gals

Original Poster

I've just been having a look about t'internet and fleabay, it seems there are different kinds of tv ports? is that right? I saw a cable that was a scart lead at one end and the tv out at the other, but it says this :

"To use this cable your PC video card must have a TV-OUT connection with standard SVHS / S-VIDEO connection (4 pin mini din)."

but looking at my card specs it says i have a HDTV out port. I'm presuming thats different?

arghhhh lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1324
      2. word association Game73944521
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047141
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2869

See more discussions