Becoming fluent in another language

Posted 4th Oct
Hi all. Does anybody have any experience as an adult of learning a new language without any prior knowledge. I am wanting to learn Spanish and just wondered what experiences any of you may have had. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
We all learn differently. There are usually courses available in evenings at colleges or universities for languages. There are also some courses available on Spotify or you can buy some cd based courses.

Spotify example open.spotify.com/pla…BmY
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Oct
I’m learning Portuguese as an adult and have done some audio discs in the car and spoken to native speakers when on holiday there. It has helped me with some basics. Any reason in particular Spanish?
I have been learning Spanish for a year now, I have 1 private lesson a week and practice every day. It is far more difficult than I thought it would be. It’s easy to learn a basic phrase or sentence, understanding a language takes time, commitment and at some point exposure to native speakers. I made friends with a spanish native who was learning English on a language exchange website and we have helped each other. I’ve tried every Spanish learning app there is, have the majority of the best learning books and listened to hundreds of hours off podcasts etc - if you need any advice or help then PM me.
INDUSTRYHATER04/10/2019 16:09

I have been learning Spanish for a year now, I have 1 private lesson a …I have been learning Spanish for a year now, I have 1 private lesson a week and practice every day. It is far more difficult than I thought it would be. It’s easy to learn a basic phrase or sentence, understanding a language takes time, commitment and at some point exposure to native speakers. I made friends with a spanish native who was learning English on a language exchange website and we have helped each other. I’ve tried every Spanish learning app there is, have the majority of the best learning books and listened to hundreds of hours off podcasts etc - if you need any advice or help then PM me.

*in my best Mrs trenchpole voice.. *. In Spanish please..!!
Trying learn more Tagalog
Just do what my local shop keeper used to do, any non speaking English customers he just used to shout at them seemed to work .
Edited by: "furbars" 4th Oct
cmdr_elito04/10/2019 15:21

I’m learning Portuguese as an adult and have done some audio discs in the c …I’m learning Portuguese as an adult and have done some audio discs in the car and spoken to native speakers when on holiday there. It has helped me with some basics. Any reason in particular Spanish?

I just think it's a beneficial language which is spoken in numerous countries. I didn't want to learn a pointless language lol
INDUSTRYHATER04/10/2019 16:09

I have been learning Spanish for a year now, I have 1 private lesson a …I have been learning Spanish for a year now, I have 1 private lesson a week and practice every day. It is far more difficult than I thought it would be. It’s easy to learn a basic phrase or sentence, understanding a language takes time, commitment and at some point exposure to native speakers. I made friends with a spanish native who was learning English on a language exchange website and we have helped each other. I’ve tried every Spanish learning app there is, have the majority of the best learning books and listened to hundreds of hours off podcasts etc - if you need any advice or help then PM me.

I think I've been put off now
furbars04/10/2019 17:02

Just do what my local shop keeper used to do, any non speaking English …Just do what my local shop keeper used to do, any non speaking English customers he just used to shout at them seemed to work .

MonkeyMan9004/10/2019 17:28

I just think it's a beneficial language which is spoken in numerous …I just think it's a beneficial language which is spoken in numerous countries. I didn't want to learn a pointless language lol

Then learn Chinese (mandarin). Portuguese btw is very similar to Spanish and Italian.

Portugal is a nicer country too as there’s less brits there which actually makes Portuguese worth learning loooool!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Oct
The Michel Thomas courses are fantastic. They are expensive, but you can sometimes get them second hand. It's the most painless and effective method I've come across. Also very good for when you are more confident are the Pimsleur courses, which give a natural conversational pace (this can seem intimidating at first, but it's amazing how your ability builds up and is super helpful when conversing). Another one recommended to me, though I've not tried yet, is Duolingo, which you can get as an app. Do have a go as it's great fun, very satisfying and such a good laugh when putting into practice. Once you have one language under your belt, it seems easier to pick up another. Good luck, and have fun.
aninginaneana04/10/2019 19:41

The Michel Thomas courses are fantastic. They are expensive, but you can …The Michel Thomas courses are fantastic. They are expensive, but you can sometimes get them second hand. It's the most painless and effective method I've come across. Also very good for when you are more confident are the Pimsleur courses, which give a natural conversational pace (this can seem intimidating at first, but it's amazing how your ability builds up and is super helpful when conversing). Another one recommended to me, though I've not tried yet, is Duolingo, which you can get as an app. Do have a go as it's great fun, very satisfying and such a good laugh when putting into practice. Once you have one language under your belt, it seems easier to pick up another. Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks for your help I'll check those out
You already make a huge mistake by asking others whether is easy or difficult; nothing can be done without spending time and effort. Just ...GO for it. It will be definitely more useful in long term than spending time watching some garbage TV show, but of course, it will take more effort than watching that show. Furthermore, you're going to discover a new World which you'll be able to understand it better through your own perceptions. We should never stop learning; the moment you stopped doing that you've became a dead person.

And for @cmdr_elito (maybe you're going to like it .. I love them :D)
TobyZ04/10/2019 19:46

You already make a huge mistake by asking others whether is easy or …You already make a huge mistake by asking others whether is easy or difficult; nothing can be done without spending time and effort. Just ...GO for it. It will be definitely more useful in long term than spending time watching some garbage TV show, but of course, it will take more effort than watching that show. Furthermore, you're going to discover a new World which you'll be able to understand it better through your own perceptions. We should never stop learning; the moment you stopped doing that you've became a dead person.And for @cmdr_elito (maybe you're going to like it .. I love them :D)[Video]

haha nice I like weird stuff like that. I knew it was going to be difficult the question was more how did people do it. I'm hoping to get booked on to a course at my local uni
1988dave04/10/2019 16:51

Trying learn more Tagalog

Duolingo do Klingon apparently too.
1988dave04/10/2019 20:02

??

Sorry, was meant to just post, not reply. "live long and prosper"...
I used duolingo daily for over a year and thought I was doing really well. When I tried speaking Spanish in the costas , everyone spoke back in English so I gave up in the end.
What is your job?

No offence but maybe it would be more beneficial doing the hours learning into your career as I presume speaking Spanish won't benefit from that

Obvvourse do whatever you want but just a suggestion that doing something for your career might be even more beneficial then speaking spanish
If you can get a pimsleur audio CD/ MP3 they are really good. Old school but build up your knowledge well
chocci05/10/2019 03:44

I used duolingo daily for over a year and thought I was doing really well. …I used duolingo daily for over a year and thought I was doing really well. When I tried speaking Spanish in the costas , everyone spoke back in English so I gave up in the end.

I've been told dualingo isn't very good for becoming fluent
MonkeyMan9005/10/2019 15:59

I've been told dualingo isn't very good for becoming … I've been told dualingo isn't very good for becoming fluent

The only way you'll ever become fluent is to live in Spain or with a spaniard
chocci05/10/2019 17:19

The only way you'll ever become fluent is to live in Spain or with a …The only way you'll ever become fluent is to live in Spain or with a spaniard

I might trade the wife in
MonkeyMan9005/10/2019 17:26

Keep calling her "the wife" & she'll probably welcome it.
MonkeyMan9005/10/2019 17:26

What do you fancy trading her in for....
I've got a socket set that I was going to take to charity shop.
oliviasgrandad05/10/2019 17:59

What do you fancy trading her in for.... I've got a socket set that I was …What do you fancy trading her in for.... I've got a socket set that I was going to take to charity shop.

If it says Made in Espanol on the side it's a deal
Learn Arabic, that will help you in Middle East and North-African countries.
Next language to learn would be Hindi. You are covered if you take a trip to Indian subcontinent. And, you are bound to find an Indian in every country.
Japanese, well... pointless language for only one country.
Edited by: "zworld" 5th Oct
zworld05/10/2019 18:08

Learn Arabic, that will help you in Middle East and North-African …Learn Arabic, that will help you in Middle East and North-African countries.Next language to learn would be Hindi. You are covered if you take a trip to Indian subcontinent. And, you are bound to find an Indian in every country.Japanese, well... pointless language for only one country.

Not a bad shout to be honest. That would probably come in handy a hell of a lot more especially due to how many British citizens speak it. I could listen in on conversations and they wouldn't have a clue haha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants