Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Been in contact with someone who thinks they have covid

Posted 13th Sep 2020
Ive been in contact with someone who believes they have covid. They’ve done a test and waiting results. The gov website says I shouldn’t isolate. They had a high temp and a cough! What should i do? Should i book a test even though the gov website says not to do that?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Love__Bargains13/09/2020 11:58

You do not need to isolate unless the person tests positive. If that …You do not need to isolate unless the person tests positive. If that happens NHS Test & Trace will make contact with you and advise you isolate for 14 days.

Meanwhile if it comes back positive they have potentially already infected loads of people and snowball effect.

What rubbish advice the nhs gives...
Why book a test? Lol

Isolate, and leave isolation if your person's results come back clear.
I’d been in contact with a family member who had suspected Covid and got tested on Wednesday, I isolated Thursday & Friday whilst she was awaiting her results and Friday night thankfully got the all clear, so have been able to leave the house again. Even if NHS are saying you needn’t isolate, personally I wouldn’t risk it at the detriment of others. I kept my son off school Thursday and Friday as if the results had come back positive and I’d intentionally sent him into a room full of 30 other people and he’d then spread it I’d have felt terrible and wouldn’t want anyone else to put myself or my son in that position either. It’s about being sensible and using common sense. If the person you’ve been in contact with tests positive then get yourself tested ASAP. Good luck.
666FU13/09/2020 11:53

Are you old or unhealthy? If you are best to isolate if not I would carry …Are you old or unhealthy? If you are best to isolate if not I would carry on as usual.

What?
The need to isolate is to do with the person passing it on to OTHER People it’s not to isolate if you’re old and have health issues... for comfort?

If someone thinks they have it they should isolate regardless if they’re 18 and fit as a fiddle or 100 and on deaths door.

In this instance I’d isolate until the results come back to be safe if I was that worried.
38 Comments
Book a test if you can or are eligible. At least for the safety of your family and friends you will be in contact with
Why book a test? Lol

Isolate, and leave isolation if your person's results come back clear.
Are you old or unhealthy? If you are best to isolate if not I would carry on as usual.
so now you both think u have covid
You do not need to isolate unless the person tests positive. If that happens NHS Test & Trace will make contact with you and advise you isolate for 14 days.
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 13th Sep

You do not need to isolate unless the person tests positive. If that …You do not need to isolate unless the person tests positive. If that happens NHS Test & Trace will make contact with you and advise you isolate for 14 days.

Meanwhile if it comes back positive they have potentially already infected loads of people and snowball effect.

What rubbish advice the nhs gives...
the person who you come in contact with, could be a hypochondriac
I would isolate and wait on their results personally
fannychmelar13/09/2020 12:12

Comment deleted

No need to book a test.

Their test should only take a maximum of 48hrs to come back with a result.

So is it possible for you to just stay in for the next couple of days incase and isolate.

Then if negative go about your business, if positive stay in as that's what track and trace will tell you to do.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Sep
Phone 119, ask them
All you need to do is self isolate until test results come back...my son had a test the other day and I was given advice from nhs to self isolate until test results came back which were thankfully negative!
Can’t really self isolate as im at work tomorrow and no explanation of why i need to self isolate

You know that from experience? I've been in contact with two people who tested positive a few days later and no one contacted me.
myusernamehasgone23413/09/2020 12:19

No need to book a test. Their test should only take a maximum of 48hrs to …No need to book a test. Their test should only take a maximum of 48hrs to come back with a result.So is it possible for you to just stay in for the next couple of days incase and isolate.Then if negative go about your business, if positive stay in as that's what track and trace will tell you to do.

One of my friends had a test on Thursday after she became violently ill, hospitalised for a night on a drip and then released. She found out a few hours ago, that she has Covid, but had to phone for the results because she was feeling sick again.
fannychmelar13/09/2020 13:14

Can’t really self isolate as im at work tomorrow and no explanation of why …Can’t really self isolate as im at work tomorrow and no explanation of why i need to self isolate

Would it be worth calling your employer and explaining the situation see what options they can give you.

How close contact have you been with your friend and for how long?
Predikuesi13/09/2020 13:27

One of my friends had a test on Thursday after she became violently ill, …One of my friends had a test on Thursday after she became violently ill, hospitalised for a night on a drip and then released. She found out a few hours ago, that she has Covid, but had to phone for the results because she was feeling sick again.

Hope your friends feels better soon.

I think that quite unusual results are normally texted and emailed with in 48 hours.

I have had both a drive through test & a walking in test and that was my experience and I believe the same for others.

Perhaps your friends issue was the test was done in the hospital and someone has forgotten to give her results.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 13th Sep
I’d been in contact with a family member who had suspected Covid and got tested on Wednesday, I isolated Thursday & Friday whilst she was awaiting her results and Friday night thankfully got the all clear, so have been able to leave the house again. Even if NHS are saying you needn’t isolate, personally I wouldn’t risk it at the detriment of others. I kept my son off school Thursday and Friday as if the results had come back positive and I’d intentionally sent him into a room full of 30 other people and he’d then spread it I’d have felt terrible and wouldn’t want anyone else to put myself or my son in that position either. It’s about being sensible and using common sense. If the person you’ve been in contact with tests positive then get yourself tested ASAP. Good luck.
Apparently tests are extremely hard to get at the moment anyway!

Can’t really self isolate as im at work tomorrow and no explanation of why …Can’t really self isolate as im at work tomorrow and no explanation of why i need to self isolate

They'll be even less pleased if you turn up and infect others. For everyone's sake, isolate at least until your contact's test result comes back.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 13th Sep
fannychmelar13/09/2020 13:46

Apparently tests are extremely hard to get at the moment anyway!

I don't think you need a test unless you have symptoms. People are suggesting you isolate until your friends test is back which shouldn't be long since they have already had the test.

If the test is negative then you'll be free to go about your business, if positive would be worth staying in until track and trace contact you with further instructions.

Here's an idea, explain to your employer your situation and see if they would rather you risk potentially passing something on to your colleagues, or isolate until the results come back negative.
jat247413/09/2020 13:21

You know that from experience? I've been in contact with two people who …You know that from experience? I've been in contact with two people who tested positive a few days later and no one contacted me.

the people that you were in contact with, are supposed to give the names of the people that they were in contact with, they must have just forgotten about you I guess
A sniff or a cold and people think you have Covid 19. Saw my auntie after months. Sneezed from my hayfever, wouldn't let me in the door. Had to conduct an hour's conversation outside on the doorstep.
xenophon13/09/2020 14:47

A sniff or a cold and people think you have Covid 19. Saw my auntie after …A sniff or a cold and people think you have Covid 19. Saw my auntie after months. Sneezed from my hayfever, wouldn't let me in the door. Had to conduct an hour's conversation outside on the doorstep.

The person in this case has the two key COVID-19 symptoms, a high temperature and (presumably persistant) cough.

Are you old or unhealthy? If you are best to isolate if not I would carry …Are you old or unhealthy? If you are best to isolate if not I would carry on as usual.

What?
The need to isolate is to do with the person passing it on to OTHER People it’s not to isolate if you’re old and have health issues... for comfort?

If someone thinks they have it they should isolate regardless if they’re 18 and fit as a fiddle or 100 and on deaths door.

In this instance I’d isolate until the results come back to be safe if I was that worried.
Nat_urally13/09/2020 15:04

What? The need to isolate is to do with the person passing it on to OTHER …What? The need to isolate is to do with the person passing it on to OTHER People it’s not to isolate if you’re old and have health issues... for comfort? If someone thinks they have it they should isolate regardless if they’re 18 and fit as a fiddle or 100 and on deaths door. In this instance I’d isolate until the results come back to be safe if I was that worried.

As @Nat_urally has pointed out

It is really important to differentiate between vulnerable people isolating to protect themselves and anyone else young or old who potential have covid isolating to protect everyone

I think you may have misunderstood what the op was asking.

They believe they have been with someone who has covid and potentially now they could have covid too.
myusernamehasgone23413/09/2020 17:22

As @Nat_urally has pointed out It is really important to differentiate …As @Nat_urally has pointed out It is really important to differentiate between vulnerable people isolating to protect themselves and anyone else young or old who potential have covid isolating to protect everyone I think you may have misunderstood what the op was asking. They believe they have been with someone who has covid and potentially now they could have covid too.

It is not just the old and vulnerable one myth that needs busting imo
theguardian.com/wor…ell

That’s not what I was told when my father had symptoms. We had to isolate until the results came back negative.

Op, the result should be back within a couple of days. Isolate and wait to hear what their result was.
Wongy11013/09/2020 17:57

It is not just the old and vulnerable one myth that needs busting …It is not just the old and vulnerable one myth that needs busting imohttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/13/i-was-infected-with-coronavirus-in-march-six-months-on-im-still-unwell

Yes I appreciate it's not just the old and vunerable and anyone can get very ill from covid and some young health people are suffering long term effects or have sadly even lost their lives.

Everyone should take as much care as possible

It's just there are known groups much more likely to suffer badly with covid, require hosptialisation which is why the government recommend they shielded. It's not a myth it is fact with evidence from around the world backing it up.

But is up to everyone it take care and protect everybody.
myusernamehasgone23413/09/2020 18:08

Yes I appreciate it's not just the old and vunerable and anyone can get …Yes I appreciate it's not just the old and vunerable and anyone can get very ill from covid and some young health people are suffering long term effects or have sadly even lost their lives. Everyone should take as much care as possibleIt's just there are known groups much more likely to suffer badly with covid, require hosptialisation which is why the government recommend they shielded. It's not a myth it is fact with evidence from around the world backing it up. But is up to everyone it take care and protect everybody.

Trouble is people are not only 46% are still social distancing
and we are only 5 weeks away from where we were in April.
Wongy11013/09/2020 18:14

Trouble is people are not only 46% are still social distancingand we are …Trouble is people are not only 46% are still social distancingand we are only 5 weeks away from where we were in April.

Hopefully the new message will get across to people.

Hands Face Space

41907642-8Hnux.jpg
Only six people can meet anywhere with excepts of workplaces and schools.

I think it's incredible clear what is expected.

But visited my local co op today and two guys walked in no masks, no social distancing brushing past several customers including myself, they were practically stood on top of the poor couple in front of them in the queue.

Made me really angry

But you risk a load of abuse if you say anything to them.

myusernamehasgone23413/09/2020 18:23

Hopefully the new message will get across to people. Hands Face …Hopefully the new message will get across to people. Hands Face Space[Image] Only six people can meet anywhere with excepts of workplaces and schools. I think it's incredible clear what is expected. But visited my local co op today and two guys walked in no masks, no social distancing brushing past several customers including myself, they were practically stood on top of the poor couple in front of them in the queue. Made me really angry But you risk a load of abuse if you say anything to them.

I am afraid it is the society 'we' have created and it is right across the social spectrum.
huge amount of people just don't give a stuff.

I am not hopeful about this at all now uni is just about to restart flu and other winter bugs just around the corner

So yes OP don't go to work until your friend gets there result
if in doubt get a test.
ChelseaRae13/09/2020 13:36

I’d been in contact with a family member who had suspected Covid and got t …I’d been in contact with a family member who had suspected Covid and got tested on Wednesday, I isolated Thursday & Friday whilst she was awaiting her results and Friday night thankfully got the all clear, so have been able to leave the house again. Even if NHS are saying you needn’t isolate, personally I wouldn’t risk it at the detriment of others. I kept my son off school Thursday and Friday as if the results had come back positive and I’d intentionally sent him into a room full of 30 other people and he’d then spread it I’d have felt terrible and wouldn’t want anyone else to put myself or my son in that position either. It’s about being sensible and using common sense. If the person you’ve been in contact with tests positive then get yourself tested ASAP. Good luck.

Is this a mirage I see before me
If they've tested results will only be a day or 2. Personally I'd just isolate until they're known and just phone and tell work. They'd be fools to kick up too much fuss for the sake of up to 48hrs or potentially spreading in the workplace.
Not sure why the op asked as he had no intention of isolating if that was the advice
snoopy1814/09/2020 10:26

Not sure why the op asked as he had no intention of isolating if that was …Not sure why the op asked as he had no intention of isolating if that was the advice

I have isolated actually, cheers.
fannychmelar14/09/2020 12:57

I have isolated actually, cheers.

Thanks Fanny. What did your employer say? I hope you haven't lost potential earnings.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 14th Sep
MadeDixonsCry14/09/2020 13:50

Thanks Fanny. What did your employer say? I hope you haven't lost …Thanks Fanny. What did your employer say? I hope you haven't lost potential earnings.

Full pay as i did the right thing not bringing it into the work place.
Post a comment
@
    Text