Been slapped with a £75 fine for apparently not paying a bus ticket!

Found 13th Dec 2009
So ive been at uni for a while, and i come home this weekend and the residents at my old house drop off a few letters(moved over 4 months ago), one of them says i was on a bus and didn't show a valid ticket or oyster, the next one says a reminder and its been pushed up to £50 and the last was the final reminder says its £75 and if i don't pay by the 17th of december i get a criminal record! and a £1000 fine! i've been reading up and all appeals need to be in writing, but it may be to late then, what do i do? someone has obviously used my old details, and i'm not sure how they got them?

18 Comments

Call them and explain the situation

Nice mates you have.

Its a civil matter and the onus is on them to prove that you owe them money. If it was a criminal offence and seen as its just a bus ticket then trust me the cops would have been banging your door down by now.

Submit a recorded delivery letter in writing back to the originators of the letters and explain you have recieved letters, that you had moved and why its taken so long to reply. Do not under any circumstances indicate yourself as being a party to their claim. Ask them to provide evidence of their claims first.

Original Poster

I did get a invoice for a phone a while back to my old address which i never purchased, maybes its the same person? it seems quite stupid that if you do get hit with a fine you can give anyones details, surely there should be some kind of picture evidence?

sounds like someone is using your identity mate.

wazb;7213370

I did get a invoice for a phone a while back to my old address which i … I did get a invoice for a phone a while back to my old address which i never purchased, maybes its the same person? it seems quite stupid that if you do get hit with a fine you can give anyones details, surely there should be some kind of picture evidence?

If you are receiving mail, bills, invoices etc that you dont recall or expect to receive then I'd check your credit record for further evidence of identity theft.

If you've just been handed them by the new people at your old address, I'd be inclined to bin them all, and plead ignorant when/if they come looking for you, which they're not inclined to do. They can try issuing a summons at the old address, but won't get far, as you're not there! As and when then do catch up with you, the onus IS on them (as a previous poster rightly says) to prove it was you, not for you to prove it wasn't. So as long as you're sure it wasn't you, you're OK. Does make you wonder what the chap gets paid to send out these letters over a measly bus fare though...

If someone gives your info on the bus then they verify it by ringing the number the person gives, so maybe your mum or dad has answered?

idenity theft is down to the person to prove it wasnt them. been told this alot of times by the bank when they have tried selling me protection, ie if someone gets a mortgage in yr name, its down to u to prove u didnt apply fot it.

Emmamed;7213592

idenity theft is down to the person to prove it wasnt them. been told … idenity theft is down to the person to prove it wasnt them. been told this alot of times by the bank when they have tried selling me protection, ie if someone gets a mortgage in yr name, its down to u to prove u didnt apply fot it.

they would say that though... as they want you take to take protection out for this, that and the other.

odriscoll;7213586

If someone gives your info on the bus then they verify it by ringing the … If someone gives your info on the bus then they verify it by ringing the number the person gives, so maybe your mum or dad has answered?

What if they say they have no phone they cannot verify jack same as the police you can give any old name how can they tell its not you.

Original Poster

no one has rang my house regarding this, and theres no telephone contact on the letters which have been sent.

wazb;7213955

no one has rang my house regarding this, and theres no telephone contact … no one has rang my house regarding this, and theres no telephone contact on the letters which have been sent.

You got proof you was away at the time ? if you have any proof at all then send it to them.

No ignore the last post of mine if you don't live in the house no more then its not a problem is it, just don't reply as you never received no letters.

Banned

still gonna have to pay first and argue your case later or in court if you choose not to pay, that is what court is there for after all

Banned

Make sure you dont ignore it.

Explain in writing that its the first you've heard about it and suggest they refrain from sending you threatening letters in future.

Original Poster

ill send a letter tomorrow explaining the situation, hopefully they should be able to resolve it, i really don't want this to drag out though, i defiantly don't want to go to court!

StevenA2000_uk;7213287

Its a civil matter and the onus is on them to prove that you owe them … Its a civil matter and the onus is on them to prove that you owe them money. If it was a criminal offence and seen as its just a bus ticket then trust me the cops would have been banging your door down by now.Submit a recorded delivery letter in writing back to the originators of the letters and explain you have recieved letters, that you had moved and why its taken so long to reply. Do not under any circumstances indicate yourself as being a party to their claim. Ask them to provide evidence of their claims first.:)

Careful, since this is presumably London, it can be a criminal offence and not a civil one.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What is gearbest like on warranty?11
    2. active noise cancelling headphones10
    3. Difference between these WD 1TB Black HDDs22
    4. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return34

See more discussions