Expired

Bees nesting behind the gas meter

Found 13th Apr 2014
I've got an external gas meter in a standard box on the side of my house. The last few days I have noticed bees going in and out on side of the box. The side does not have any sealant on it hence they can get in. There's nothing inside the box as it's a sealed unit but I guess the outer casing is hollow. If the bees are in there or in the wall I do not know.

What do I do about it? I can't look behind the box as it cannot be removed without affecting the meter. I could just seal the one side but I've read this causes problem in the long term as the bees can survive for some weeks and will look for other ways out, possibly into the house.

I doubt an exterminator will look at it because it is behind the meter, but will the gas board be any more helpful!?
Community Updates
25 Comments
If they're bees I think they need to re-housed. If it's wasps you can kill them.

Either way it can a bit dangerous so your local council will usually do it for free.
are they really bothering you there? if not just leave them
we've had bumble bees nesting under our shed and in a crack outside the back door, and I have a phobia with wasps/bees but i just tried to ignore them

(both nests have since gone without any interference)
Edited by: "athunder" 13th Apr 2014
I hope you won't get stung by your next bill!
Perfectly harmless just leave them err be
just ask this guy
theguardian.com/wor…res
Edited by: "Wongy110" 13th Apr 2014
whatsThePoint

what sort of bees are they?

BUMBLE. lol
Original Poster
They are bumble bees and the meter box is right by the back door to the kitchen. If it's not sorted they will be in the kitchen every day, especially if the numbers increase. I have young child and whilst I will bring them up not to be scared of bees if they are flying round the house my boy would grab them. The passageway in front of the meter is also quite tight and the bins are there so would be very close.
You could throw a stick at them and run ?

Whilst they are chasing you and stinging you - get someone to seal the gas meter.
ermm, gas them?
whatsThePoint

what sort of bees are they?

Boo bees.
Phone up your local council, it might be a free service however with it being near a gas supply pipe they may not touch it and they advise you to call up gas board.
I'd say kill'em with fire but that would probably back fire, Be fun when they come to read your meter :).
CookinBat

smoke em out smoke pellets £2.25 del, eBay

Smoke doesn't get rid of bee's it just quietens them down by making them drowsy AFAIK, having something you have to light in a gas meter box is a bad idea anyhows.
Banned
Get someone in to rehouse them. Don't kill them please as there are enough things killing them already.
phone the gas board and say your meter box is making a stange buzzing sound, set up camera for the guy when he opens the meter box
bykergrove

Get someone in to rehouse them. Don't kill them please as there are … Get someone in to rehouse them. Don't kill them please as there are enough things killing them already.

Bees are part of the food chain, according to the bird community they are a tasty snack indeed.
I had some bees on the roof last year, they were not the usual bees. Seemingly there is a new breed in this country, the look like bees and behave like wasps, very aggressive. You can kill this type. It cost me £33 to get rid of them,as my council doesn't provide this service.
http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/tumblr_lzdjy2aDiu1r2pxgdo1_400.gif
Degeneratemoo

They are bumble bees and the meter box is right by the back door to the … They are bumble bees and the meter box is right by the back door to the kitchen. If it's not sorted they will be in the kitchen every day, especially if the numbers increase. I have young child and whilst I will bring them up not to be scared of bees if they are flying round the house my boy would grab them. The passageway in front of the meter is also quite tight and the bins are there so would be very close.

They hardly ever came inside, despite the crack being under our patio door, which was wide open almost all day.(I think maybe 3-4 times one got lost and came inside - which always just tried to get outside again). As bier said, there wasn't many, just the odd one coming and going.
What ever you do, don't seal the gap. They can eat through the mortar and end up in the house. Look to see if there's anyone local that re-houses them. I saw a bloke that advertises in our local paper that does this for free. Hopefully you will find someone like that in your area. Good luck
From the link posted earlier it seems it's simply best to let them Bee :).
I agree if you can let them bee. We had a bumble bee nest and apparently were very lucky as they are quite rare. Farmers pay handsomely for bumble bee nests - so there may be a deal to be had with a farmer.

They are great pollinators so your garden will be looking really nice and they don't last long a few months on memory and they don't come back. They could teach your children about bees, gardening, wildlife, where food comes from etc. If they are interfering with your life consider allowing a farmer to relocate it to pollinate their farm.

Afterwards we removed our nest and studied it.
Original Poster
I think bumble bees don't have the ability to eat through mortar like wasps and other insects do. My wife spoke to the gas board who said not their problem.
Banned
Find a local beekeeper who will come and take them away. We have a monk at the local abbey that does this. I'm sure you can find a beekeeper locally that will help.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions