Groups

Beginners squash racquet

Can anyone recommend a good beginners squash racquet? Never played before although pretty good at tennis so hoping I can pick it up quickly.

8 Comments

Not worth buying anything new, you can pick up some very good racquets cheap on ebay. Chances are, if your just beginning, youll prob break it against the wall quite quickly. Go for a heaver one-around 170+ gramms to start with as i find it gives you better control, and a bit more power without needing to try harder. Also get a larger head one if possible. And change the grip to a new sticky one.

Original Poster

flickflack

Try one of the Wilson racquets … Try one of the Wilson racquets :http://www.sportsdirect.com/squash/squash-rackets#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank&Filter=ABRA%5EWilson

Any in particular? Or just a case of you get what you pay for?

Rich069

Not worth buying anything new, you can pick up some very good racquets … Not worth buying anything new, you can pick up some very good racquets cheap on ebay. Chances are, if your just beginning, youll prob break it against the wall quite quickly. Go for a heaver one-around 170+ gramms to start with as i find it gives you better control, and a bit more power without needing to try harder. Also get a larger head one if possible. And change the grip to a new sticky one.

Could you suggest a few I should look for? Did a search but there are a lot. Wouldn't have any idea what I was buying!

stick to well known brand and you wont go wrong. As a beginner you wont notice much difference.

As above but just go to the shop and pick a few up and see what feels comfortable in your hand, no need to spend a fortune on your first racket either, a head heavy one will probably suit you better as well.

Prince, Head, Wilson, all make good rackets, you won't go far wrong with any of them.

I would disagree with the above advice about going for a heavier racket and say go for one about 110-135
    I started with dunlops, have a look in sports direct ( yes I know )
    I started on dunlops and have progressed to a head 115g but still like the dunlops, they can take a fair bit of abuse as well
    Use a single yellow dot ball, until you progress
    Edited by: "snoopy18" 19th Feb

snoopy18

I would disagree with the above advice about going for a heavier racket … I would disagree with the above advice about going for a heavier racket and say go for one about 110-135I started with dunlops, have a look in sports direct ( yes I know ) I started on dunlops and have progressed to a head 115g but still like the dunlops, they can take a fair bit of abuse as well Use a single yellow dot ball, until you progress

​Not worth spending the money on a 110 gram racket though for a beginner. Agree on Dunlops though, i use a Dunlop 170 still, and much prefer it to my spare Head 125 one-though it does have a different shape head.

Rich069

​Not worth spending the money on a 110 gram racket though for a beginner. … ​Not worth spending the money on a 110 gram racket though for a beginner. Agree on Dunlops though, i use a Dunlop 170 still, and much prefer it to my spare Head 125 one-though it does have a different shape head.

I had to google what you said, I didn't realise they made them heavier than 135
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. MSE collective energy deal coming to an end Autumn23
      2. Iptv1226
      3. Are smart parking limited legitimate56
      4. Music download78

See more discussions