Being a Binman, an easy job thats overpaid ?........think again

Found 25th Jul 2012
A lot of people think binmen get paid too much for what they do

just read the following news and tbh its shocking i couldnt imagine if this was me

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
31 Comments

Bit of a rubbish job if you ask me.

Banned

Whoever said being a bin man was easy?

Tube drivers, on the other hand...
Edited by: "KillFelix" 25th Jul 2012

Why did the second bin man go in after the first was pricked?

Ridiculous, sharps bins are available free at most chemists but junkies just cant be arsed to use them.

Doors

Why did the second bin man go in after the first was pricked?

maybe two bags and they grabbed one each?

A lot of people think binmen get paid too much for what they do

Really? I have never heard a single person say that.

The most shocking bit? They are still using black bags rather than wheelie bins, wheelie bins more or less cut the risk of cuts and needle jabs entirely out of refuse collection.

Where i live the bin men dont pick up black bags lying on the street, rule is if its not in the bin then it doesn't get picked up.

Original Poster

thats the same here it has to be in a bin

they should refuse to take the rubbish from the house these bags belonged to from now on

harlzter

The most shocking bit? They are still using black bags rather than … The most shocking bit? They are still using black bags rather than wheelie bins, wheelie bins more or less cut the risk of cuts and needle jabs entirely out of refuse collection.

Yeah, it's strange cos the Arun area use wheelie bins AFAIK.

If a bin scheme is practical then a council is at fault for not providing such a service.

Needle Resistant Gloves could also be provided by the contractor knowing that such hazards exist.

One of my friends has a huge scar on his forehead because some nutter beat him up as a binman for being a bit later than usual. I wouldn't do it.

harlzter

The most shocking bit? They are still using black bags rather than … The most shocking bit? They are still using black bags rather than wheelie bins, wheelie bins more or less cut the risk of cuts and needle jabs entirely out of refuse collection.

We have wheelie bins but the recycling crate is still sorted by hand by the binmen - maybe the needles were in the recycling crate.....

I work for a refuse company and we run a 3 bin scheme (general waste, dry recyclable and green waste), all waste has to be in the bin and the lid fully closed, otherwise our loaders will not take it, and they will not collect anything outside the bin.

Original Poster

one of mine wasnt collected once as it was TOO HEAVY

wtf its the damn vehicle that lifts the bin lol

Banned

My littlun is forever forgetting to dispose of his used needles in the sharps bin and worse still leaving them attached to the syringe. I should get paid danger money!

In the last 3 years, the boyfriend has had 2 lots of tests after being exposed to crud like this, a broken hand and numerous large scars and frequently comes home with cuts and bruises... he probably gets paid less than them. Of course it's an awful thing to happen, but people go through a lot worse for a lot less. Look at nurses... a poorly paid profession and they have to deal with terrible things day in day out.

Banned

Humphman

I work for a refuse company and we run a 3 bin scheme (general waste, dry … I work for a refuse company and we run a 3 bin scheme (general waste, dry recyclable and green waste), all waste has to be in the bin and the lid fully closed, otherwise our loaders will not take it, and they will not collect anything outside the bin.

We must be lucky. I regularly have 10 or more black sacks of waste to be collected fortnightly (along with weekly food, card and bottles). Never had a broken, though if they did, I would just get rid of it myself and make them aware they wouldn't be getting an Xmas tip this year.

I applied for a job as a binman.asked what training do I get? None, they replied, you just pick it up as you go along...

Sorry

harlzter

The needles had been left incorrectly in black bags by a resident for … The needles had been left incorrectly in black bags by a resident for collection in the Arun district.

From the article

binmen the unsung heroes of our society

In my street we are not supplied with any wheelie bins and all the black bags are pre collected and dumped outside my house. Where they are then ripped to shreds by magpies and cats and anything spilt out is just left there for me to clear up even though most of it was not my rubbish. So yes bin men suck as far as i am concerned and if i had an option to opt out of bin collections and take the rubbish to the tip myself i would jump at it. I end up having to go there anyway for garden waste etc any way

newbie1001

In my street we are not supplied with any wheelie bins and all the black … In my street we are not supplied with any wheelie bins and all the black bags are pre collected and dumped outside my house. Where they are then ripped to shreds by magpies and cats and anything spilt out is just left there for me to clear up even though most of it was not my rubbish. So yes bin men suck as far as i am concerned and if i had an option to opt out of bin collections and take the rubbish to the tip myself i would jump at it. I end up having to go there anyway for garden waste etc any way

should complain to the council you are paying council tax right then its their job to collect and clean up

360baby

should complain to the council you are paying council tax right then its … should complain to the council you are paying council tax right then its their job to collect and clean up

Have done many times most complaints are ignored and the rest of the time they just fob me and any one else in the street off. Local councillor is just as bad. Also had a word with the bin men themselves one week, bad mistake since my bags were not collected the following week.
Edited by: "newbie1001" 25th Jul 2012

Banned

lets hope the druggie gets charged. Must be some kind of offence committed here.

Banned

am i not the only 1 to think if theyure that worried they should try find out which resident uses needles and for what reason.

the chances of them being infected with hiv or aids is hardly likely

Banned

Same here, never heard people complain that bin men get paid too much.

casparwhite

am i not the only 1 to think if theyure that worried they should try find … am i not the only 1 to think if theyure that worried they should try find out which resident uses needles and for what reason.

That's what I thought, quicker to do a door to door and put them out of their misery or let them get on with their lives to find out the truth. Could just be someone with Diabetes.

I've always been told they won't test for HIV until 6 months after the suspected exposure.

We have a Wheelie Bin for General waste and one for Recycling, also a green lidded food bin and a green box for garden waste. There would be no need for a 'Refuse Collector' to ever touch the bags.

newbie1001

In my street we are not supplied with any wheelie bins and all the black … In my street we are not supplied with any wheelie bins and all the black bags are pre collected and dumped outside my house. Where they are then ripped to shreds by magpies and cats and anything spilt out is just left there for me to clear up even though most of it was not my rubbish. So yes bin men suck as far as i am concerned and if i had an option to opt out of bin collections and take the rubbish to the tip myself i would jump at it. I end up having to go there anyway for garden waste etc any way

Do what we did when they kept missing our bin on collection (on a small side street they missed), I bagged it up and left it at reception of the local council office with a note explaining, they never missed a collection after that.

see also bbc.co.uk/new…564

"Braintree binman injured in airgun shootingA binman has suffered facial … "Braintree binman injured in airgun shootingA binman has suffered facial injuries in a suspected airgun shooting in Essex.Armed police were called to White Horse Avenue in Halstead shortly after 08:00 BST to reports of a man with an airgun. The victim had minor injuries. .........................................................."

Edited by: "harlzter" 25th Jul 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions