Being a grown up and buying a sofa.

Found 19th Feb 2014
I was always a bit advocator of the student lifestyle. Shared accommodation, cheap home cooking, furniture shopping for used stuff on gumtree, that kind of thing.

Until I met the love of my life - we're moving into a new place this week and being a bit grown up about the whole thing - bought a new bed from ikea, (bloody nice - king size and that) and a new washing machine from co-op.

Now, lets talk sofas. What's the deal here? How come every time we visit a DFS or an SCS I feel like those blokes with the cheap suits & tablets are out there to completely shaft me? Is it my cynicism or is something going on here? Interest free credit for four years? How does that make sense?

Ikea sofas are a bit ****. Think we're gonna go check out a Tesco Home store tonight.

Any tips from you lot?
Community Updates
MiscSofa
22 Comments
I have an SCS sofa and while it looks nice, I don't think much of it to be honest.
Our main sofa's are from Odeon. We bought from them direct but they now sell through sofasofa

http://www.sofasofa.co.uk/sofarange4/N/lst/itemlist/owner/shop/sofa-finder

We have the Albany design, two sets of covers which are washable.

Have a look at Next, I just bought one from Next and one from DFS, Next wins, so much more style and better quality plus none of the hard sell that I got from the DFS **** salesman.
I have a DFS sofa (i bought it in the sale X) as if there a time without a sale) , found it be be really comfortable.
If you're going to buy from dfs etc please wait till one of 'sales' or negotiate a 'sale' price. Ours were from dfs, they've been fine almost 10yrs old now. Good way of spreading cost too as I suspect you'll be paying cash/credit for all other purchases. Good luck
i bought a DFS sofa about 4 years ago and we bearly use it, yet its falling to bits on us.

allow them!!!

we have leather sofa in the main room (three young kids, so leather is best bet!)..... if u are considering kids etc in a few years do take that into account as they are wipeable!

gumtree and second hand shops are great!
Twinkle182

gumtree and second hand shops are great!

Depends what you do on your sofa, before you stick it on gumtree........
OldEnglish

Depends what you do on your sofa, before you stick it on gumtree........

As long as its clean and looks well I couldn't care less what someone has done on the sofa.

OP - do you have any independent furniture shops near you, you can quite often get better quality from these than from the likes of DFS
We buy leather ones from DFS. We found it comfy, our little one like to jump around on it
We took the credit, it is with Hitachi personal finance. They just spread the cost over 4 years and you pay with direct debit every month.
Look on ebay. I bought a 1 year old £4k Italian leather corner group for £1k. When you look at what you could get from DFS, SCS etc for the same money there is no comparison.
thecleric

If you're going to buy from dfs etc please wait till one of 'sales'

http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/182821_not_sure_if_serious.jpg
where abouts are you from, we have an excellent place near us...
Try,
http://www.saxonleather.co.uk/
Reviews,
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.saxonleather.co.uk
Highly Recommended.
I've had a leather corner sofa from DFS for 6 years and it's still in fairly good condition (despite having to withstand 2 children) so I've got no complaints re the quality of DFS sofas, must admit the sales reps put me off though, they literally jump on you as soon as you walk through the door!
GazmoSpazmo

where abouts are you from, we have an excellent place near us...

Leicestershire..
Just discovered an awesome place: Cut Price Suites in Leicester.

Got a Homebase ex display 3 seater and 2 seater with a storage footstool (looked it all up on the home base website - original cost is about £1400) for £540 delivered.

Some tiny tiny marks on the fabric.. Nothing major at all. They also have an ebay store! stores.ebay.co.uk/Cut…ics
bought dfs sofa. not worth the price even in the sale. £989 got a sofa bed and double in fabric. scotch guard was worth it though the amount of times various bodily fluids have been squirted on it.
backyard

bought dfs sofa. not worth the price even in the sale. £989 got a sofa … bought dfs sofa. not worth the price even in the sale. £989 got a sofa bed and double in fabric. scotch guard was worth it though the amount of times various bodily fluids have been squirted on it.

Too much information, and I'm eating my tea.lol
My only tip on sofa purchasing, is don't buy something terribly cheap! A good quality sofa will last years, however if you make the same mistake I did and buy budget sofa's you'll be ready to set fire to the god forsaken things after a year and buy new one's oO
We had a sofa from CSL (Now called Sofaworks), we had it two years, and had terrible problems with it. The material faded and marked really quick, and there was problems with the cushions. Despite CSL coming out, we ended up taking the sofa and chairs to a local place to get it reupholstered and new cushioning put in at considerable expense.

Anyone getting a new sofa I'd suggest going down the route someone else has advised and picking up a cheap second hand sofa from a second hand shop and getting it reupholstered, the quality is night and day better than some of the stuff these big firms sell.
another tip, if you do use the big boys then don't fall into the trap of having the added extra spray stuff they can put on the material for you at extra cost. There's loads of postings on the internet that it's frankly not worth it..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants