Being a named driver on daughter's car insurance

Found 28th Apr 2015
My daughter is looking in to getting her first car - just passed her test. She has asked me to be a named driver on her insurance to get a lower premium. I've had a look and it would knock off £117 a year for her. I have insurance with my own car (with a different company). I don't know if I ever will actually drive her car during the year anyway, but just a bit concerned if she is driving and she is at fault for something. Being a named driver (even though I probably won't drive her car), if something happens and she is at fault and legal action is taken against her on a claim, am I responsible for any cost as well, and would it affect my no claims discount on my own car insurance (with another company). If something were to happen (daughter's faulty), on my insurance renewal for next year, would I have to declare that an accident occurred whilst I was a named driver on my daughter's policy (and would it then affect my own no claims bonus)? Thank you.
Community Updates
15 Comments
I`m a named driver on both our sons cars
As is my partner
Brings the premium down and have used the car on the odd occasion so also handy
Funny enough I have my sons car at work today as he is away
If your daughter crashes then its nothing to do with you unless your driving
Hth
The simple answer is you will not have any liability, unless you are the driver at the time of the accident. I have used this with both my kids and saved hundreds, and whilst my daughter has had zero accidents my son has written off five cars in 2 years - (and they say gender doesn't matter on insurance!!!) but because i was not the driver i have had no communication from the insurance company. Another positive thing is that if you are a nemed driver you can call the insurance company to make changes to the policy and the data protection act allows this. I hope this helps.
No, this would only affect you if your daughter was a named driver on YOUR policy and she had an accident, seeing as you'd then be claiming on your own policy. As you are not actually claiming off the policy that is in your name this should not affect you and doesn't need to be declared as such. This is my understanding.
No problems doing this, but remember if your daughter will be the main driver of the car, she must be listed as the policy holder for the car and yourself as a named driver. It is illegal ('fronting') for you to put yourself as the main driver to bring the costs down if you will not be the main driver. However, I doubt any claim would ever investigate fully to ensure you have at least driven your daughters car occasionally, if at all, in order to satisfy her being main driver and yourself a named driver. Be honest, and you'll still save money.
Thank you all for your advice and help, feel a lot happier about putting myself down as a main driver now - was just a bit worried about my own insurance possibly being affected.
as all above....recommend trying google compare for insurance saved in excess of £400 over 2 years over using go compare,confused etc
Sophiasky

Thank you all for your advice and help, feel a lot happier about putting … Thank you all for your advice and help, feel a lot happier about putting myself down as a main driver now - was just a bit worried about my own insurance possibly being affected.

you said named driver in opening statement, now it's main driver? there is a difference!
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 28th Apr 2015
Ye main driver is a completely different story. It's considered insurance fraud if you are main driver and she is named when she is in fact the main user.
I'm not getting on my high horse and saying people shouldn't do this, I know insurance premiums are a joke and people with the least money in the worst off areas are being quoted 3k + for their first few years and for some people its either take the risk and do this or don't drive.
I defiantly wouldn't recommend it either though, It is illegal and since your daughter wont be getting any no claims bonus of her own her premiums will remain higher for longer.
It's always a tough one but as said main driver is completely different to being a named driver and more consequences. If the insurance company can prove she is the main driver then the insurance could be invalid. It's a risk some people take but only you can decide that.
Op might have said 'main' driver instead of 'named driver' by mistake? I doubt very much that op being the main driver and daughter as second would bring the premium down. If my memory serves me correctly it increases the price.
speedy2014

Op might have said 'main' driver instead of 'named driver' by mistake? I … Op might have said 'main' driver instead of 'named driver' by mistake? I doubt very much that op being the main driver and daughter as second would bring the premium down. If my memory serves me correctly it increases the price.

No the premium will be much more for the daughter and her first car. Adding somebody older with more experience brings your price down even as an extra driver. (I'm 27 and still have my mum on mine!) Having a parent as the main driver and just adding yourself on as an occasional user gets you an even lower premium but as said that's defiantly not legal.
Deaa

No the premium will be much more for the daughter and her first car. … No the premium will be much more for the daughter and her first car. Adding somebody older with more experience brings your price down even as an extra driver. (I'm 27 and still have my mum on mine!) Having a parent as the main driver and just adding yourself on as an occasional user gets you an even lower premium but as said that's defiantly not legal.

In February when I looked for my niece's insurance (first time driver) the price was £2000 with her dad as main driver (20+ years NCD) and her as second driver
And £1575 with herself as main driver and dad as second driver
speedy2014

In February when I looked for my niece's insurance (first time driver) … In February when I looked for my niece's insurance (first time driver) the price was £2000 with her dad as main driver (20+ years NCD) and her as second driver And £1575 with herself as main driver and dad as second driver

That's really strange. Perhaps they are realising more people are lying about it anyway and are charging more to steer people away from trying it?
Deaa

Ye main driver is a completely different story. It's considered insurance … Ye main driver is a completely different story. It's considered insurance fraud if you are main driver and she is named when she is in fact the main user. I'm not getting on my high horse and saying people shouldn't do this, I know insurance premiums are a joke and people with the least money in the worst off areas are being quoted 3k + for their first few years and for some people its either take the risk and do this or don't drive.I defiantly wouldn't recommend it either though, It is illegal and since your daughter wont be getting any no claims bonus of her own her premiums will remain higher for longer.

I wasn't going to add her on the insurance. I have my own car with my own insurance with another company. For the new insurance company for my daughter, she will be the main driver (it's her car) and I will be added as the second driver, so I will be the only driver on my own insurance and will be a named driver on my daughter's insurance.
Sophiasky

I wasn't going to add her on the insurance. I have my own car with my own … I wasn't going to add her on the insurance. I have my own car with my own insurance with another company. For the new insurance company for my daughter, she will be the main driver (it's her car) and I will be added as the second driver, so I will be the only driver on my own insurance and will be a named driver on my daughter's insurance.

In that case you're absolutely fine! no risk to you whatsoever. Its sometimes worth adding another 'safe' driver as well (somebody older with years of driving experience) regardless of weather they intend to drive it, its always nice to have the option anyway. Having two named drivers can give even more discount as they assume the high risk (your daughter) will be driving even less.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions