Beko tumble dryer tripping RCD

Posted 24th Oct
Any electricians here that could advise me what's wrong with my tumble dryer? The model is DSC85W that I've had for about 5 years. It's been working great until recently when it stopped producing heat. After some research on the Internet I've changed the heater element at the back and the dryer started working as it should again, but not for long. It would work for about 5 minutes and then would trip RCD in the house. Thinking it's a faulty heater element, I've purchased another one but it's doing the same thing. Dryer never produced so much heat before. So it looks like there is no control of temperature and it gets too hot and trips the RCD.

Does anyone know what might be causing such behaviour?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
fanpages24/10/2019 11:29

Unplug it & buy a model from a different manufacturer...[ …Unplug it & buy a model from a different manufacturer...[ https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/2017/05/beko-blomberg-condenser-tumble-dryers/ ]

I am aware that the same model as mine had a recall but after speaking to BEKO my specific tumble dryer was manufactured a bit later on so it's not affected. I was told it's safe to use.
SpyJoe24/10/2019 11:32

...Dryer never produced so much heat before... I was told it's safe to use.

Given your account above I would suggest it is not or, at the very least, do not leave it running unattended.

By the time you've purchased two heater elements, & checked the main circuit board/control panel (with a potential replacement), would it not be cheaper to have considered buying a new one?
Does it have a separate thermostat?
fanpages24/10/2019 11:36

Given your account above I would suggest it is not or, at the very least, …Given your account above I would suggest it is not or, at the very least, do not leave it running unattended.By the time you've purchased two heater elements, & checked the main circuit board/control panel (with a potential replacement), would it not be cheaper to have considered buying a new one?

I've already returned the first heater element and received a refund for it. Heater element costs £30 whereas this tumble dryer cost me over £200. Some of the spare parts cost as little as £10, so I would rather spend £50 in total for parts rather than £200 for a new dryer.
SpyJoe24/10/2019 11:44

I've already returned the first heater element and received a refund for …I've already returned the first heater element and received a refund for it. Heater element costs £30 whereas this tumble dryer cost me over £200. Some of the spare parts cost as little as £10, so I would rather spend £50 in total for parts rather than £200 for a new dryer.

OK, carry on then.

I have never had a tumble dryer (or washing machine, or even a dishwasher) function correctly beyond five years for quite some time (certainly this millennium). As soon as one part fails, others soon fail thereafter, & I find it is a false economy to keep replacing individual components (especially if you are not able to do the repair yourself).

Ringfinger24/10/2019 11:39

Does it have a separate thermostat?

There is NTC sensor at the front, but I've tested it with a multimeter as in below video and there is resistance. Is it possible that it could be faulty eventhough it's working? Maybe that's what damaged my original heater element?

SpyJoe24/10/2019 11:53

There is NTC sensor at the front, but I've tested it with a multimeter as …There is NTC sensor at the front, but I've tested it with a multimeter as in below video and there is resistance. Is it possible that it could be faulty eventhough it's working? Maybe that's what damaged my original heater element? [Video]

Could be that it reads OK when cold, but when gets hot it trips/shorts out. If it is cheap and easy to replace I would try that. If that didn't fix it then its a case of checking wiring and connectors.
got a similar issue, albeit with my Beko dishwasher which is only 1 year old. thankfully, intergrated so got 2 year guarantee, so engineer booked out to look/fix/replace.
SpyJoe24/10/2019 11:53

There is NTC sensor at the front, but I've tested it with a multimeter as …There is NTC sensor at the front, but I've tested it with a multimeter as in below video and there is resistance. Is it possible that it could be faulty eventhough it's working? Maybe that's what damaged my original heater element? [Video]

Warm it up and then check to seen if its rezistivity decreases. Then follow the wires and see where they go. That type of sensor is pretty simple, the logic board interpreting the signals could be affected.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 24th Oct
Ringfinger24/10/2019 11:59

Could be that it reads OK when cold, but when gets hot it trips/shorts …Could be that it reads OK when cold, but when gets hot it trips/shorts out. If it is cheap and easy to replace I would try that. If that didn't fix it then its a case of checking wiring and connectors.

Just bought one for £8.95 off Ebay. If it doesn't fix the problem I can always send it back for a refund.
Have you tried a different plug socket? Could the circuit be overloaded? Heater element from same pace? Faulty batch possible?
I got the new NTC sensor in the machine and it's working great again, just like a brand new tumble dryer. Total cost of fixing was £38.95

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants