Beko washing machine door lock delay

Posted 21st Jun 2019
I have a beko washing machine that is just under 3 years old and it has started to develop a fault. Wonder if anyone has experience of this before, and there is a simple solution? Probably clutching at straws, but thought no harm in asking.

The door won't open until 2 to 3 hours after the wash finish! Anyone come across this really odd issue before? It seems that the delay mechanism has gone wonky and so think 2 to 3 hours is probably equivalent to a minute!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley121/06/2019 22:15

you called the beko helpline with a technical question and they were able …you called the beko helpline with a technical question and they were able to help you?

He's given you the number. Why don't you just try for yourself?
24 Comments
Have you tried switching the machine off at the socket? Powering down completely might disable the switch mechanism.
If you switch off the mains or use the off button then 2 mins later it should click and you can open door... This will work even if still full of water, but if it don't you know there is a problem with time delay mechanism.
Edited by: "wayners" 21st Jun 2019
Very surprised beko lasted that long..
jaketheplumber21/06/2019 19:44

Have you tried switching the machine off at the socket? Powering down …Have you tried switching the machine off at the socket? Powering down completely might disable the switch mechanism.

do you mean that i should switch the power off and see if that will reset the mechanism?
Bargainhead21/06/2019 19:57

Very surprised beko lasted that long..

Mine is still going strong after 10 years. I bought it to replace a £600 Siemens machine that was always going wrong, I paid £128 delivered for the Beko. It has never had a single problem.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 21st Jun 2019
wayners21/06/2019 19:49

If you switch off the mains or use the off button then 2 mins later it …If you switch off the mains or use the off button then 2 mins later it should click and you can open door... This will work even if still full of water, but if it don't you know there is a problem with time delay mechanism.

it is at a tenanted property so i will ask them about the off position but i would expect most people would turn the dial to off before they attempt to open the door, although having said that, my husband just yank the door open without turning the dial to off!

i will ask them to try the mains switch but this is often under the worktop behind the machine so not an ongoing solution. i suspect that the delay timer has become faulty so it no longer knows how long time has passed. my only hope is that by turning the power off and on again, the time mechanism will reset itself, else it will have to go in the bin
mutley121/06/2019 20:49

do you mean that i should switch the power off and see if that will reset …do you mean that i should switch the power off and see if that will reset the mechanism?

Yes, you should here the lock mechanism click when you turn the power off, worth a try. Not a long term solution admittedly but ok to get you by in the meantime.

Here's a link to the Beko Help and Advice Service, I've found them very useful in the past.
beko.co.uk/sup…ort
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 21st Jun 2019
jaketheplumber21/06/2019 21:22

Yes, you should here the lock mechanism click when you turn the power …Yes, you should here the lock mechanism click when you turn the power off, worth a try. Not a long term solution admittedly but ok to get you by in the meantime.Here's a link to the Beko Help and Advice Service, I've found them very useful in the past.https://www.beko.co.uk/support/customer-support

you called the beko helpline with a technical question and they were able to help you?
mutley121/06/2019 22:15

you called the beko helpline with a technical question and they were able …you called the beko helpline with a technical question and they were able to help you?

He's given you the number. Why don't you just try for yourself?
Not really my thing but it might not be the door lock that's faulty.

I wonder if there is water still about that's somehow slow draining.
Check the waste filter (flap or cover near bottom in front of machine) put something under it to catch excess water that'll be in the drum
mutley121/06/2019 21:02

it is at a tenanted property so i will ask them about the off position but …it is at a tenanted property so i will ask them about the off position but i would expect most people would turn the dial to off before they attempt to open the door, although having said that, my husband just yank the door open without turning the dial to off!i will ask them to try the mains switch but this is often under the worktop behind the machine so not an ongoing solution. i suspect that the delay timer has become faulty so it no longer knows how long time has passed. my only hope is that by turning the power off and on again, the time mechanism will reset itself, else it will have to go in the bin

The door latch lock mechanism on washing machines usually just contains a bi-metal strip rapped with a bit of electric heating wire, there's no delay timer, it takes a minute or two for the bi-metal strip to cool down and straighten out once the machine cuts the power to it at the end of the program, which allows enough time for the drum to come to a halt before someone can open the door if the power is turned off while the drum is spinning.

If the machine is not emptying, or the sensor thinks it is not, then it might keep the lock energised, but turning the power off either at the socket or on the machine itself should cause it to release after a couple of minutes.

I have had a door not release on a hotpoint once, but that was due to the handle not pulling the locking catch back far enough due to wear, which I was able to modify.

I did once have a machine that instead of a bi-metal strip had a mechanical locking mechanism with a cable operated pecker on the drum pulley and a water pressure sensor in the latch, so it wouldn't open if the drum was moving or if water was in the tub whether it was powered or not. The advantage being it released instantly at the end of the wash, but it was a very expensive machine, so I doubt you'd find that in a beko.
Edited by: "melted" 22nd Jun 2019
deleted1471098
joyf453621/06/2019 20:57

Mine is still going strong after 10 years. I bought it to replace a £600 …Mine is still going strong after 10 years. I bought it to replace a £600 Siemens machine that was always going wrong, I paid £128 delivered for the Beko. It has never had a single problem.

Until it burns your house down....
melted22/06/2019 00:03

The door latch lock mechanism on washing machines usually just contains a …The door latch lock mechanism on washing machines usually just contains a bi-metal strip rapped with a bit of electric heating wire, there's no delay timer, it takes a minute or two for the bi-metal strip to cool down and straighten out once the machine cuts the power to it at the end of the program, which allows enough time for the drum to come to a halt before someone can open the door if the power is turned off while the drum is spinning.If the machine is not emptying, or the sensor thinks it is not, then it might keep the lock energised, but turning the power off either at the socket or on the machine itself should cause it to release after a couple of minutes.I have had a door not release on a hotpoint once, but that was due to the handle not pulling the locking catch back far enough due to wear, which I was able to modify.I did once have a machine that instead of a bi-metal strip had a mechanical locking mechanism with a cable operated pecker on the drum pulley and a water pressure sensor in the latch, so it wouldn't open if the drum was moving or if water was in the tub whether it was powered or not. The advantage being it released instantly at the end of the wash, but it was a very expensive machine, so I doubt you'd find that in a beko.

thank you for taking the time to explain how the door mechanism work. that is very enlightening. the washing machine is not an expensive machine so the door mechanism will be similar to your bog standard washing machines.
m1keyp1key21/06/2019 22:34

Not really my thing but it might not be the door lock that's faulty. I …Not really my thing but it might not be the door lock that's faulty. I wonder if there is water still about that's somehow slow draining.

when i googled door won't open on beko washing machine, i found articles about the machine not emptying so it was all about getting water out of the machine.

the tenants did not say anything about the machine still having water in it but i will ask them. it may be just a little bit of water somewhere sensitive in the machine that causes the door to stay locked. i did think that it is a possibility as 2 to 3 hours does sound like the time it would take for water to drain slowly away.
deleted147109822/06/2019 09:17

Nothing wrong with the Beko brand. Personally because we hammer our washing machine i wouldn't buy a brand that didn't have a 5 year parts and labour warranty. But we've had a beko dishwasher, freezer and fridge freezer and they have been great.
esar21/06/2019 23:57

Check the waste filter (flap or cover near bottom in front of machine) put …Check the waste filter (flap or cover near bottom in front of machine) put something under it to catch excess water that'll be in the drum

good advice. will do so, thanks.

Maybe I should have bought a top brand like Whirlpool you mean ........Oh hang on!!
joyf453621/06/2019 20:57

Mine is still going strong after 10 years. I bought it to replace a £600 …Mine is still going strong after 10 years. I bought it to replace a £600 Siemens machine that was always going wrong, I paid £128 delivered for the Beko.

If you go and check it, there should be a manual bit to drain it out. Have a look at that and check in there to see if there’s any sort of blockage or material fibres in it. Our machine seemed to demolish a tea towel so had to drain the machine manually and then clear out the for the next couple of days where it was being pushed through the machine.
m1keyp1key22/06/2019 11:29

Nothing wrong with the Beko brand. Personally because we hammer our …Nothing wrong with the Beko brand. Personally because we hammer our washing machine i wouldn't buy a brand that didn't have a 5 year parts and labour warranty. But we've had a beko dishwasher, freezer and fridge freezer and they have been great.

Beko are a reliable brand in my experience too, had a fridge and freezer in the past and both were still going strong after 15 years plus, currently have a fridge and cooker and both have been trouble free.
mutley122/06/2019 11:18

when i googled door won't open on beko washing machine, i found articles …when i googled door won't open on beko washing machine, i found articles about the machine not emptying so it was all about getting water out of the machine. the tenants did not say anything about the machine still having water in it but i will ask them. it may be just a little bit of water somewhere sensitive in the machine that causes the door to stay locked. i did think that it is a possibility as 2 to 3 hours does sound like the time it would take for water to drain slowly away.

I would clean the sump trap and check the stand pipe for the drain hose is not partially blocked.

If the door still stays locked for more than a couple of minutes after turning the power off at the socket, then it may be a mechanical problem with the door catch or locking mechanism.

I'd suggest googling to see if your machine has a test / diagnostic mode, usually accessed by turning the power on while holding a combination of buttons. My zanussi for example will show recent error codes and if I select the fill or drain test, it will show a count for the water level on its display, likewise heat shows temperature and spin shows rpm. (don't put it on heat if the machine is empty)

The water level sensor is usually an air pressure sensor mounted fairly high up in the machine and connected by a narrow pipe from the bottom of the sump or pump unit, so the trapped air in it pressurises as water fills the tub. If suds from the washing powder foaming up too much get in the tube or partially block the pinhole into the sensor it can restrict the air escaping, which can cause those symptoms. Used to be able to test the microswitch based sensors by blowing in the tube and counting the clicks of the switches, but modern analogue sensors don't click.
Edited by: "melted" 22nd Jun 2019
deleted1471098
joyf453622/06/2019 11:34

Maybe I should have bought a top brand like Whirlpool you mean ........Oh …Maybe I should have bought a top brand like Whirlpool you mean ........Oh hang on!!

A beko fridge burnt my mums house down. It wasn’t a recalled model (was about 5-6 years old) and that model still hasn’t been recalled, their tumble dryers and washing machines are well known for causing fires too. Whirlpool and related brands are the same.

Whirlpool has never been a top brand......it’s always benn a cheap brand like beko.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 22nd Jun 2019
deleted249798
Ex washing machine engineer here.

It could be three issues.

The easiest one to check is if it is draining correctly/the filter is blocked. You can check by removing the filter, there should be a small amount of water in there but less than 500ml. If not clean it out.

The IMO most likely one is that the air switch has become blocked. The washing machine senses how much water is in it by a little pipe that goes from the bottom of the drum to a switch at the top. When the washing machine fills with water a small amount of water enters the tube and pushes air into the switch, which stops the water.

If the tube becomes gunged up then the switch will still operate during the wash for a while because of the force of the water entering, but will take a while to empty. Often you see the water level is higher than it should be.

If they are using too much detergent or (being a rented house) have used washing up liquid, shower gel or similar then the tube will fill with bubbles/foam - again same problem until the bubbles melt away.

Occasionally the switch is just faulty. Either way, the door lock will not normally open if the machine thinks it is still full of water so any delay in the air switch deactivating will keep the door locked.

Because of this I would really advise NOT using the machine until it is fixed unless there is someone watching it. The problem is that if the tube is gunged up initially it will start fine but delay finishing. Eventually if the tube gets totally blocked then the air switch may never activate and the machine will fill and fill until it floods the floor. On the old mechanical machines they used to fill forever. The new ones have a time limit but still enough to flood the machine. I've seen VERY expensive damage before with people having to replace flooring.

Finally it could just be a faulty door lock.

Filter and air switch are easy DIY checks if you want. Air switch you just need to pull the tube off the switch and blow down it, if the door opens, the tube is gummed up. Door lock you would need a multimeter or just replace if if you eliminate the other two, they are cheap.

Usually I would replace the tube if there was any signs of it gunging up/blocking, they are quite narrow and so difficult to clean. For your machine at home the best thing is to run a hot wash once a month with powder detergent which makes this (and other) issues less likely.
Edited by: "deleted249798" 22nd Jun 2019
deleted67360

No!!! Their fridges burn the houses down... the washing machine just act like poltergeist.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants