Groups

Belkin N vs Belkin G

Banned
    Hi guys

Just got a Belkin N for a test to see if it is any better than my standard Belkin G.

When i hover my cursor over the Wireless Network Connection:

The Belkin N is saying 48mbps

and the Belkin G was saying 54mbps

So is the G better?
    I thought the N was supposedly quicker?

Any Sensible any helpful replies will be repped.

Cheers

13 Comments

If you are running N on the router and N on your PC/laptop then you really should be getting better than G router with G PC/Laptop.
    The issue comes when you have N router (which can support G as well of course) and a mixture of N and G devices in close proximity ... often the G signals will cause the N to synch at a lower speed.
    If you have the choice use all N and you will see an improvement, or configure the N router to accept only N connections and use the G router as a simple access point with wired connection to the N router.

Original Poster Banned

Old Bear;6219823

If you are running N on the router and N on your PC/laptop then you … If you are running N on the router and N on your PC/laptop then you really should be getting better than G router with G PC/Laptop.The issue comes when you have N router (which can support G as well of course) and a mixture of N and G devices in close proximity ... often the G signals will cause the N to synch at a lower speed. If you have the choice use all N and you will see an improvement, or configure the N router to accept only N connections and use the G router as a simple access point with wired connection to the N router.

What do you mean use all N?
    I'm only using a Bt Homehub router.
    Could this be why i am not getting the full speed?

If it's a N dongle connected to a G router like the homehub you will see no improvement until you get an N router.

Banned

Bt home hub is g thats your problem

Original Poster Banned

lumoruk;6219898

Bt home hub is g thats your problem

Ahh right Cheers rep given

Original Poster Banned

seancampbell;6219897

If it's a N dongle connected to a G router like the homehub you will see … If it's a N dongle connected to a G router like the homehub you will see no improvement until you get an N router.

Ahh right Cheers rep given

Original Poster Banned

Are all of the homehubs only G's?
    As in the white, black, the newer black etc?

Banned

Hamm;6219933

Are all of the homehubs only G's?As in the white, black, the newer black … Are all of the homehubs only G's?As in the white, black, the newer black etc?

If you've seen the adverts they've started pushing the n routers. You'd have to be a new customer though to get one free.

And you'll only see a speed increase if you're streaming high definition video to a tv wirelessly in your house. Otherwise n is so you can sit at the bottom of your garden and still use the internet.

Original Poster Banned

google.co.uk/sea…=fw

might be worth checking that £29.98 seems cheap.

Dunno if there is a story with them think I did hear something but you never know exactly whats what, I know you will need to switch off, opt out of BTFON also these might be blanking surrounding signals , that may have been version 1 dunno have a check for other problems

Original Poster Banned

Also a problem i have just encountered.
    My white homehub works a treat.
    But my black homehub the one pictured, will not connect..

assuming the black one is a home hub 2 then you need to use that one (there were black hh1s and they were only g routers)
    also you cannot have 2 routers connected to the phoneline at once
    shut everything down, connect the black router wait 2 mins and then you will need to set up the wireless network keys again, printed on your hub sticker
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Extractor fan blown? (excuse the pun)11
      2. Biscuit addiction1954
      3. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?11
      4. Car park fine UKPC1520

See more discussions