Benefit of switching to a LLU broadband provider?

9 replies
Found 7th Jun 2010
I live out in the sticks and our local exchange has only just been unbundled. Talktalk now offer "up to 4.2Mbit" according to their speed checker which is what I get with Orange (when they're not throttling my connection - which is after 6pm til 12 I believe..)

So, with that in mind, there will be no speed boost if signing up with Talktalk but maybe they won't cap me at peak times and actually offer a genuinely "unlimited" service?

In the past I've read talktalk are s*** too, so could anyone shed any light on what they're like these days? I suspect they, like all IPStream ISPs, used to be crap until BT allowed them into the exchange to use their own equipment.

9 Comments

Banned

Be/o2 - don't look back.

talktalk have a bad reputation for customer support, since you're been LLU'ed have you tried looking into 02 broadband?

SuperEd

said yesterday avoid talktalk

Original Poster

I'd get O2 without hesitation if they offered it in my area, but sadly they don't.

It's Talktalk or stick with non-LLU broadband

Sure you can't get anything else? Have a check here:
samknows.com/old…php

Original Poster

Spriggan;8779439

Sure you can't get anything else? Have a check here: … Sure you can't get anything else? Have a check here: http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/checker2.php

Just had a look and... nothing else :-(

The only operators with LLU enabled exchanges in the whole county are Tiscali and Sky, so they might come to my exchange soon but O2 have absolutely 0 exchanges in the whole county!!

dcx_badass;8779564

I'd get talk talk, cheap and fantastic service, I've been with them for … I'd get talk talk, cheap and fantastic service, I've been with them for over 5 years now with no problems, everyone I know is with them now and all of us find it great.

What package you on? Their basic package has a 40GB allowance which I think would be enough but i might go with the "unlimited" one just to be sure. Is their "unlimited" actually download-as-much-as-you-want?

My sister has got talk talk for broadband it was very slow when I was at her house to fix her laptop. It was 6k -43k a second max on a 6 meg service. I told her to get bt to check line but apparently there was no fault.

TBF though the phone lines around this area are pretty bad and neglected. eg a high aluminum content

Original Poster

dontasciime;8779715

My sister has got talk talk for broadband it was very slow when I was at … My sister has got talk talk for broadband it was very slow when I was at her house to fix her laptop. It was 6k -43k a second max on a 6 meg service. I told her to get bt to check line but apparently there was no fault.TBF though the phone lines around this area are pretty bad and neglected. eg a high aluminum content

I can see the same happening around here. I already have a crap internet service so I don't really want to sign up for another one and be stuck on an 18 month contract with it!

Might just wait (pray) for O2/Be to come along.

i wouldnt go with talktalk

My experience with them is they're fine sometimes, but then you can get cut off constantly for a day or two, which is really annoying, also speeds from them are not always totally reliable
And their customer service is horrible, you can wait for an hour to talk to someone, and they're really not very helpful
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Looking for advice on ESP8266 microcontroller project410
    2. Do I need fabric conditioner?1011
    3. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas78
    4. Consumer Rights - Wrong Description of Fridge917

See more discussions