Benefits affected by daughter working?

Posted 1st Sep
Hello fellow HUKD users

I wonder if anyone here can help with out out. I have already sought advice but not getting much help as the teams have new staff due to COVID and not really answering my questions but directing me to the website. I am waiting on the citizens advice bureau to reopen but it’s not going to be for a while apparently. Any advice or ideas is much appreciated

My daughter who has just turned 19 has just completed her level 3 course at a college. She has been working full time since March when the college closed down due to the lockdown. At this point she was still classed as being in education I believe. The course ended officially in June.

She wants to leave education now so I am wondering how this will effect my benefits.

I receive housing benefit, council tax support, child benefit and child tax credit.

I think the child benefit has stopped already but would my daughter have to pay the full rent and other benefits reduced/stopped?

Also I am not sure while I’m on benefits or my daughter being in education if it has a limit on the amount of hours worked or money earned. I’m just worried now that I will get a fine and bill for not updating the benefits people.

Her employer is also giving her the option of becoming an apprentice if it helps at all with my situation.

I have been using this app for a while now but just not made an account and have seen how much of a great community you have here and thought you may be able to help.

Thanks so much In advance
Community Updates
Top comments
Surely any reduction in benefits can be covered by your daughter paying you some money for board and lodging.
12 Comments
Welcome!
Child benefit will have stopped, and looks like she has had to have signed up to a course before her 19th birthday to still be counted as your dependant.

entitledto.co.uk/hel…-16
Google ‘benefits calculator’ and put in the details that apply to you, and you should come to a page that breaks it all down into each benefit, and whether you’re entitled to them, and if so, an idea of how much. This should at least give you an idea, however I’m pretty sure child tax credits would stop now as she is no longer in education.
Council tax support is based on low income/disability, however if you were claiming the single person discount that may stop.
Her income shouldn’t affect housing benefit etc, the tenancy (I’m guessing) is in your name, as are the benefits, so it should only be the child related benefits that now stop.
My daughter is 18 due to be 19 next month she has signed up for college and the entitlement will run until she is 20 as she’s in further education. I think they can only work under a certain amount of hours for it to not affect benefits (ie.. part time work not full time) try ring your local council and see if they can shed some light on it as they deal with your housing benefit and council tax.
Both child benefit and child tax credit will cease once she’s out of full time education. As she’s already 19, having her put on an apprenticeship won’t help, you need to have started it before 19. They usually send a letter to verify if the full time education is ongoing, and only continue it for the year if they receive proof of further education.

She would qualify as an adult, and so your housing benefit and council tax support will be affected by how much she earns. If you notify the council, they will work it out and let you know.
choccie3202/09/2020 00:15

Google ‘benefits calculator’ and put in the details that apply to you, and …Google ‘benefits calculator’ and put in the details that apply to you, and you should come to a page that breaks it all down into each benefit, and whether you’re entitled to them, and if so, an idea of how much. This should at least give you an idea, however I’m pretty sure child tax credits would stop now as she is no longer in education. Council tax support is based on low income/disability, however if you were claiming the single person discount that may stop. Her income shouldn’t affect housing benefit etc, the tenancy (I’m guessing) is in your name, as are the benefits, so it should only be the child related benefits that now stop.

No, the housing benefit and single person council tax will definitely be affected as she will be counted as an extra adult in the household with an income, and rightly so.
Surely any reduction in benefits can be covered by your daughter paying you some money for board and lodging.
You will still get housing benefit and council tax support but the amount will be reduced.

All child benefits will stop completely.
the single person should be affected. We don’t know all the details, if there is disability involved then it may not be, which I why I said ‘may’.

And here are just some examples of when housing benefit won’t be affected, there’s more than just these, by the way.

41811506.jpg

I was not giving my personal opinion on whether someone should pay more, simply trying to help OP get an idea, sine nothing anyone here says is official!
Edited by: "choccie32" 2nd Sep
Use a website called entitledto it will give you a breakdown of anything and everything you are entitled to and is anonymous you don’t need to put your details in x
I would not recommend entitled to its wildly inaccurate. Your best bet is universal credit essentials which is a charity and very helpful. Although you may be better off staying on tax credits they should be able to advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text