Best 15" laptop for £250-£300?

Posted 8th Sep
A friend asked for advice to buy a classic laptop for the average use of Office common tasks and moderate browsing, he would be fine even with the minimum 128gb internal storage but wants the laptop to be snappy and not bothered with the laptop not being super lightweight,since it would be mostly used at home,average weight and battery life would be good enough.

Basically he wants something with a good processor and decent fast ram and if the screen is FHD is a plus,but he's not a techie person who would benchmark or notice too many caveats.

He preferably wanted to spend around £250 but ok to stretch until £300ish if the "long term investment" is worth the difference..

I've got IT background but not much up-to-date with recent laptops specs and deals, so I thought to ask here.

He might be ok with buying official refurbished like new units as long as with full warranty but preference would be given to brand new from reputable retailers.

Only Windows laptop, no chromebook..

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Those useage requirements sound perfect for a Chromebook.
Uridium08/09/2020 10:25

He needs a windows machine,no chromebooks..
Uridium08/09/2020 10:25

I’d second this, recently got a chrome book from a deal on here whilst I wait for the new MacBook, perfect for MS office online and browsing. I think for the price you say you’re going to struggle with a windows machine.
Kratos6908/09/2020 12:07

I’d second this, recently got a chrome book from a deal on here whilst I w …I’d second this, recently got a chrome book from a deal on here whilst I wait for the new MacBook, perfect for MS office online and browsing. I think for the price you say you’re going to struggle with a windows machine.

As much as I agree with you, it's quite unlikely that my friend will want to use Office Web version with a Chromebook. With £400 probably it would be easier to find a decent windows laptop, but his budgets and requirements are the ones I mentioned already,unfortunately. Maybe a refurbished older gen laptop with 12 months warranty might be an option for him..but which retailers to to look for?
italondonistaavataurino08/09/2020 12:19

As much as I agree with you, it's quite unlikely that my friend will want …As much as I agree with you, it's quite unlikely that my friend will want to use Office Web version with a Chromebook. With £400 probably it would be easier to find a decent windows laptop, but his budgets and requirements are the ones I mentioned already,unfortunately. Maybe a refurbished older gen laptop with 12 months warranty might be an option for him..but which retailers to to look for?

If he can wait there are a few that pop up when eBay do their 20% off codes laptops direct etc, I think a code has just ended and I’m unsure when the next is but they are frequent. Even if you could persuade him to spend an extra £100 it would make all the difference. The Honor Magicbook was recently £405 via an eBay code and that would blow any machine he’d get for £300 out of the water. It depends if he can A wait or B up his budget a tad. If not, consider an iPad with Bluetooth keyboard? Any machine under 9.7 inches can use office for free.

As much as I agree with you, it's quite unlikely that my friend will want …As much as I agree with you, it's quite unlikely that my friend will want to use Office Web version with a Chromebook. With £400 probably it would be easier to find a decent windows laptop, but his budgets and requirements are the ones I mentioned already,unfortunately. Maybe a refurbished older gen laptop with 12 months warranty might be an option for him..but which retailers to to look for?

a Thinkpad from Ten Computers? Says 1 year warranty, and although not 15" 14" isn't far off
ebay.co.uk/itm…000
Edited by: "spruceyb" 8th Sep
If he wants super cheap then look here

ebay.co.uk/itm…805 comes with a years 365 too.

Was under £100 with a code. I have no idea as to the quality but it’s very inexpensive.
spruceyb08/09/2020 12:27

a Thinkpad from Ten Computers? Says 1 year warranty, and although not 15" …a Thinkpad from Ten Computers? Says 1 year warranty, and although not 15" 14" isn't far offhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-T440-14-inch-Laptop-Intel-i5-8-GB-RAM-128-GB-SSD/154052010834?hash=item23de372352:g:-~YAAOSw0GlfPUtw&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000|1500|2000

Thanks,bookmarked,thinkpads might be a decent options IF with 1 year warranty.
Kratos6908/09/2020 12:37

If he wants super cheap then look here …If he wants super cheap then look here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164303533805 comes with a years 365 too. Was under £100 with a code. I have no idea as to the quality but it’s very inexpensive.

A minimum of 14inch laptop and quad core processor is required,he wants a home classic fat laptop..

Not just limited to Office online anymore. As new Chromebooks now have Playstore installed and Linux app capability you can install the full Android version of MS Office as well as Libreoffice.

Touchscreen Chromebooks are becoming very very flexible now, as well as Fast, long battery life and cheap .

If you do want to go down the used route for a Windows Laptop I'd suggest looking on eBay at the resellers of Ex-Corporate disposals. Usually plenty of good deals on HP Elitebooks and Dell Latitudes in your price range. You may struggle with a 15" screen though as most are 14". Worth it though as the build quality on the corporate notebooks is far better than the home user range.
Kratos6908/09/2020 12:25

If he can wait there are a few that pop up when eBay do their 20% off …If he can wait there are a few that pop up when eBay do their 20% off codes laptops direct etc, I think a code has just ended and I’m unsure when the next is but they are frequent. Even if you could persuade him to spend an extra £100 it would make all the difference. The Honor Magicbook was recently £405 via an eBay code and that would blow any machine he’d get for £300 out of the water. It depends if he can A wait or B up his budget a tad. If not, consider an iPad with Bluetooth keyboard? Any machine under 9.7 inches can use office for free.

No iPads but the Ebay codes might help when available..I know that £380-£400ish would make a difference but not sure he wants or can stretch till there from £250,it looked £300ish was already about his spending limit..thanks
Uridium08/09/2020 12:56

Not just limited to Office online anymore. As new Chromebooks now have …Not just limited to Office online anymore. As new Chromebooks now have Playstore installed and Linux app capability you can install the full Android version of MS Office as well as Libreoffice.Touchscreen Chromebooks are becoming very very flexible now, as well as Fast, long battery life and cheap .If you do want to go down the used route for a Windows Laptop I'd suggest looking on eBay at the resellers of Ex-Corporate disposals. Usually plenty of good deals on HP Elitebooks and Dell Latitudes in your price range. You may struggle with a 15" screen though as most are 14". Worth it though as the build quality on the corporate notebooks is far better than the home user range.

I got a Thinkpad X201T and agree that there might be some good oldie but goldie corporate laptops, sometimes even with 1 year warranty..will dig there..if any Ebay corp retailer might come to mind, any link would be useful..

I wasn't sure about the full Office compatibility with recent Chromebooks,that might change his mind,assuming that it would possible to find a chromebook model where Office through Android works as good as in the window counterpart,with no glitches..any 13-15.6 inch 64gb/128gb 4gb/8gb ram available within £300ish,even not touchscreen?

The thing is, if the Chromebook costs over £350 he might as well go for a windows laptop for £400ish at that price point..he might suppose the windows laptop being a easier choice anyway..

Thanks
spruceyb08/09/2020 13:05

Laptops Direct also have some with 1 Year …Laptops Direct also have some with 1 Year Warrantyhttps://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-lenovo-thinkpad-l450-core-i5-8gb-128gb-14-inch-windows-10-profe-t1-l450i58gb128gbw10p/version.aspor something like a Chuwi Herobook Prohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/CHUWI-Herobook-Ultrabook-Playback-Supports/dp/B088WQRFK5/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=herobook&qid=1599566204&sr=8-1[Video]

I saw several laptops with the Intel n4000 series,Pentium Gold etc but since he wants to upgrade from an old laptop and to buy something powerful enough for at least other 5 years I think those series of processors might not be adequate in the long term..plus the fact that most of those laptops have soldered ram e sometimes even the storage as well, that doesn't allow any further upgrades over time..thanks for suggesting alternatives anyway

Edit:sorry, accidentally opened another link instead of your first one and replied about n4000 as a consequence..
That L450 doesn't specify which i5 gen comes with,I suppose it.might be a 4th or 5th gen,probably 5th,by googling most results for L450 point to such gen.
Bookmarked as well, thanks for help
Edited by: "italondonistaavataurino" 8th Sep
italondonistaavataurino08/09/2020 13:28

I saw several laptops with the Intel n4000 series,Pentium Gold etc but …I saw several laptops with the Intel n4000 series,Pentium Gold etc but since he wants to upgrade from an old laptop and to buy something powerful enough for at least other 5 years I think those series of processors might not be adequate in the long term..plus the fact that most of those laptops have soldered ram e sometimes even the storage as well, that doesn't allow any further upgrades over time..thanks for suggesting alternatives anyway

Take a look at morgancomputers.co.uk/ They are bound to have something
Or maybe stonerefurb.co.uk/
I found this one in the meantime, it seems a good machine..what do you think?

amazon.co.uk/dp/…T0H
italondonistaavataurino08/09/2020 13:28

I saw several laptops with the Intel n4000 series,Pentium Gold etc but …I saw several laptops with the Intel n4000 series,Pentium Gold etc but since he wants to upgrade from an old laptop and to buy something powerful enough for at least other 5 years I think those series of processors might not be adequate in the long term..plus the fact that most of those laptops have soldered ram e sometimes even the storage as well, that doesn't allow any further upgrades over time..thanks for suggesting alternatives anywayEdit:sorry, accidentally opened another link instead of your first one and replied about n4000 as a consequence..That L450 doesn't specify which i5 gen comes with,I suppose it.might be a 4th or 5th gen,probably 5th,by googling most results for L450 point to such gen.Bookmarked as well, thanks for help

Earlier Thinkpad numbering is first number refers to screen size 4 = 14" 5 = 15 and second number is generation of processor
T Series is the premium, legendary quality ThinkPad, L series is still a legit ThinkPad but with slightly cheaper build quality.
spruceyb09/09/2020 08:55

Earlier Thinkpad numbering is first number refers to screen size 4 = 14" 5 …Earlier Thinkpad numbering is first number refers to screen size 4 = 14" 5 = 15 and second number is generation of processorT Series is the premium, legendary quality ThinkPad, L series is still a legit ThinkPad but with slightly cheaper build quality.

My X201T fell over a wooden blind years ago, it cracked the blind and didn't even had a dent afterward. You could literally punch that laptop without worrying..for the laptop..Replaced its original HDD with SSD and it still performs decently for common tasks nowadays..with Linux as well. Mine has even WIMAX (a sort of long distance wifi version used in USA at the time I purchased the laptop) on top of standard wifi,a built in GPS and 3G WAN under the battery,plus rotating screen and wacom panel with pen..

Only crap was the battery life, 4 hours with new standard battery, possibly 6-8 hours with bulkier more powerful version..

Will never sell it.

laptopmag.com/uk/…let

Look at this beauty!

41871763-r58uu.jpg
Here's a solid option
studentcomputers.co.uk/81F…019

Grade A- with 12 Month Warranty
15.6" Ryzen 3 2200u benchmarks around the same as a 7th Gen Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD
italondonistaavataurino09/09/2020 09:24

My X201T fell over a wooden blind years ago, it cracked the blind and …My X201T fell over a wooden blind years ago, it cracked the blind and didn't even had a dent afterward. You could literally punch that laptop without worrying..for the laptop..Replaced its original HDD with SSD and it still performs decently for common tasks nowadays..with Linux as well. Mine has even WIMAX (a sort of long distance wifi version used in USA at the time I purchased the laptop) on top of standard wifi,a built in GPS and 3G WAN under the battery,plus rotating screen and wacom panel with pen..Only crap was the battery life, 4 hours with new standard battery, possibly 6-8 hours with bulkier more powerful version..Will never sell it. https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/reviews/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x201-tabletLook at this beauty![Image]

We've got a X200s that the girlfriend uses for work. It came with the large battery and could get 9 hours battery life with an SSD. We had to order the smaller battery so it was more portable. Her work colleagues have gone through multiple Macbooks whilst the Thinkpad keeps going strong.

It's a Core2 Duo laptop but with the SSD even Windows 10 runs great on it. She'll probably end up with my Huawei Matebook D 14 when it eventually dies, but they're so well built and easy to repair I don't see it dying any time soon.
spruceyb09/09/2020 11:54

Here's a solid …Here's a solid optionhttps://www.studentcomputers.co.uk/81FB00B3UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-330s-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200U-8G_1505525.html?wgu=276115_1347475_15986897511695_611d7e952f,276115_116019_15996485149468_493134df18&wgexpiry=1606465751,1607424514&source=webgains,webgains&siteid=1347475,116019Grade A- with 12 Month Warranty15.6" Ryzen 3 2200u benchmarks around the same as a 7th Gen Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD

Pretty solid choice indeed,thanks for the pointer.
spruceyb09/09/2020 12:01

We've got a X200s that the girlfriend uses for work. It came with the …We've got a X200s that the girlfriend uses for work. It came with the large battery and could get 9 hours battery life with an SSD. We had to order the smaller battery so it was more portable. Her work colleagues have gone through multiple Macbooks whilst the Thinkpad keeps going strong.It's a Core2 Duo laptop but with the SSD even Windows 10 runs great on it. She'll probably end up with my Huawei Matebook D 14 when it eventually dies, but they're so well built and easy to repair I don't see it dying any time soon.

Mine has Linux Mint and going strong. Tempted to go the windows 10 route as well and see if worth the fuffing
Post a comment
@
    Text