Best 24in,144hz Gaming Monitor (for my sons B'day) ? Help!!

Found 5th Aug
Hey you guys. I'm hoping that some of you lovely lot can help me here before I end up doing something stupid - wasting my money (well, more 'lack of' to be more accurate) on crap, then regretting it.

So, my son has just had his 17th B'day, and as he wasn't sure exactly what he wanted, I put money in a card.

Last Christmas, I bought and built him a pretty decent gaming pc rig. I then topped it off with a 2nd graphics card 6 months later for his birthday. His whole life (social) is based around gaming and he's always loved having a decent PC set up.
Anyway, apologies, I'll get to the point.
He's now asked me to sort him with a new 144hz Monitor. 24 inch is all he needs as that's going to sit well with the one he has currently. I'm a bit stumped, as I'm an absolute 'Queen of Reviews' when it comes to any sort of substantial purchase - be it something that's mega expensive, or something that I just want to last the test of time and be 'future proof', so to speak. I like to do my homework.
Had he known that it wae a monitor he'd wanted prior to his birthday, I'd have had a fair amount of time to look into it, but here we are, and obviously I now don't. Definitely not just going to 'impulse buy' the first one i see. Also, I'm thinking that IPS panels are better than TN, (more expensive too) but I don't know if I'll be able to tick all the boxes due to funds. He does have a decent set up, so it may be beneficial to opt for the 'better' panel? Thoughts??

Can you guys please help me out here and give me your ideas/opinions through personal experience??

Cheers for reading, and thanks in advance for any advuce!
Community Updates
10 Comments
IPS = better colour and slightly white whites BUT has slower response rates 5ms at best normally.
TN = much faster response rates but more washed out colours

G-sync or Free sync = depends on what graphics cards you have nvidea or AMD on which one youll need.

You mentioned they already had another screen, if they are dual screen or tri screen then you should ensure both monitors are the same to maximise compatibility.
cmdr_elito51 s ago

IPS = better colour and slightly white whites BUT has slower response …IPS = better colour and slightly white whites BUT has slower response rates 5ms at best normally.TN = much faster response rates but more washed out coloursG-sync or Free sync = depends on what graphics cards you have nvidea or AMD on which one youll need.You mentioned they already had another screen, if they are dual screen or tri screen then you should ensure both monitors are the same to maximise compatibility.

AOC for TN
ASUS for IPS

Other brands are available.
cmdr_elito36 m ago

IPS = better colour and slightly white whites BUT has slower response …IPS = better colour and slightly white whites BUT has slower response rates 5ms at best normally.TN = much faster response rates but more washed out coloursG-sync or Free sync = depends on what graphics cards you have nvidea or AMD on which one youll need.You mentioned they already had another screen, if they are dual screen or tri screen then you should ensure both monitors are the same to maximise compatibility.

Yeah, for now the only thing the same about his monitors will be their size. But that's something that we can sort at a later date. Basically, I'll probably end up with the one he's using now, and he'll get another 144hz,same model as i buy now.
As for the Free/G-Sync - He's running a couple of 1080's (Asus ROG Strix-A8G) as I bought his first card with the set up just before the 1080ti was released, so he ended up with the sli set up.
I'm seeing that there's not a whole lot of options without paying silly money, which I ain't willing to do. I've spent enough on his rig as it is
gemmac33316 m ago

Yeah, for now the only thing the same about his monitors will be their …Yeah, for now the only thing the same about his monitors will be their size. But that's something that we can sort at a later date. Basically, I'll probably end up with the one he's using now, and he'll get another 144hz,same model as i buy now. As for the Free/G-Sync - He's running a couple of 1080's (Asus ROG Strix-A8G) as I bought his first card with the set up just before the 1080ti was released, so he ended up with the sli set up.I'm seeing that there's not a whole lot of options without paying silly money, which I ain't willing to do. I've spent enough on his rig as it is

You were probably better off going to the ti over the sli route as Sli can be temperamental. Not sure if anything over 120Hz makes a huge difference but blur reducing tech is always good. Check out lightboost. IPS tend to have a bit more light bleed as well.
Here’s a few examples:

TN WITH GSYNC:
AOC 24 inch G-SYNC 144 Hz LED Gaming Monitor, 1 ms Response Time, Height Adjust, Display Port, 4 x USB Ports, Vesa G2460PG amazon.co.uk/dp/…774

TN BUT NO G SYNC
amazon.co.uk/ASU…ers
The 'better colour' references to IPS refer to more consistent colour across the screen. TNs have such strong viewing angle effects they actually change the colour on the edges of the screen relative to the center (particularly the top and bottom).

Anything beyond that depends on the implementation and not the type. A lot of factors affecting colour (like richness) are dependant on the backlight rather than the LCD.

Variable refresh rate isn't a big deal if you're after high quality motion (the usual reason for buying a high refresh rate screen) as it's incompatible with backlight strobing (aka BFI) which is a key technology for getting the smoothest motion. Obviously it's better to go for a general implementation that'll work with any input rather than one of nVidia's locked down technologies (I believe it's called ULMB rather than Lightboost these days).
kester762 h, 2 m ago

You were probably better off going to the ti over the sli route as Sli can …You were probably better off going to the ti over the sli route as Sli can be temperamental. Not sure if anything over 120Hz makes a huge difference but blur reducing tech is always good. Check out lightboost. IPS tend to have a bit more light bleed as well.

Nah, I actually gave him the option of waiting for the TI but he didn't want to. Plus the fact we didn't know what the price would be either kinda played a role. In asking him now if he would have rather waited for the ti, or would rather have the 2 1080's, he said he's glad he just went for it as he really likes the SLI.
Looks like im gonna be going for a TN panel after the reading ive been doing... Now its just a case of finding something that's gonna work for him with the rest of his set up.
Its been a while since I've done any PC specific research, as I've not had to, so I'm a bit outta the loop in that dept.
Edited by: "gemmac333" 5th Aug
EndlessWaves39 m ago

The 'better colour' references to IPS refer to more consistent colour …The 'better colour' references to IPS refer to more consistent colour across the screen. TNs have such strong viewing angle effects they actually change the colour on the edges of the screen relative to the center (particularly the top and bottom). Anything beyond that depends on the implementation and not the type. A lot of factors affecting colour (like richness) are dependant on the backlight rather than the LCD.Variable refresh rate isn't a big deal if you're after high quality motion (the usual reason for buying a high refresh rate screen) as it's incompatible with backlight strobing (aka BFI) which is a key technology for getting the smoothest motion. Obviously it's better to go for a general implementation that'll work with any input rather than one of nVidia's locked down technologies (I believe it's called ULMB rather than Lightboost these days).

Oh god. Now there's even more stuff i need to look into 😰
Im a nightmare and I know I'll end up making this even harder for myself. Haven't got a clue about monitors these days ffs, so it looks like he'll just have to wait a bit... I need some more input from folk who know what they're talking about - I cert don't... Not in this dept at least
Anyone else have anything they can add to this that might be helpful to me... Really need to sort a purchase soon 😏
Show him how much you love him and get him a Samsung Ultrawide:

34619787-0fLit.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions