Best 2.5" Hard drive HDD for NAS (hp microserver gen8)

Found 28th Aug 2017
Hi all,

i have purhcased a new Gen8 Microserver, coming soon and need a 2.5" for the top bay as it doesnt fit any 3.5 inches!

was looking at the 2tb firecuda Seagte, it seems 2tb are really quite rare and nothing aimed towards the NAS market!

what would be best? i will use the 5th bay at the top for the OS / extra storage for my array.
thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Your best bet if you're really really keen on using a 2.5" drive is just to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" converter. It'll be a plate where you mount the drive and then screw the plate into the 3.5" caddy.

Hmm, in terms of 2.5", it's not the sort of drive you want to be buying for a NAS, purely because there are NAS dedicated drives for reliability and designed for 24/7 usage (all of which are 3.5").

Maybe I'm missing the question but couldn't you just route a SATA data/power cable outside the bay and use a 3.5" drive?

Any 2.5" drive will fit in a 3.5" bay, you just have to be brave it doesn't move about
Just attach the OS SSD to the ODD sata connection. Not sure you need to use custom firmware to upgrade the sata speed from II to III. You can either sellotape the ssd down or velcro it to the case. Other option is to boot from external USB and run the sata cable externally to an enclosure.
I use the same server for a NAS, and just run Lubuntu from a USB drive.
Original Poster
That
kester761 h, 41 m ago

Just attach the OS SSD to the ODD sata connection. Not sure you need to …Just attach the OS SSD to the ODD sata connection. Not sure you need to use custom firmware to upgrade the sata speed from II to III. You can either sellotape the ssd down or velcro it to the case. Other option is to boot from external USB and run the sata cable externally to an enclosure.

Thats the plan but as nas 2.5 drives are rare and don't seem to be catered for... only one i can see id a 1tb red wd drive for 70 quid

is it worth spending the cash on a NAS drive as I'd rather just get a 2tb 2.5 inch drive cheaper!
jackvdbuk32 m ago

That Thats the plan but as nas 2.5 drives are rare and don't seem to be …That Thats the plan but as nas 2.5 drives are rare and don't seem to be catered for... only one i can see id a 1tb red wd drive for 70 quid is it worth spending the cash on a NAS drive as I'd rather just get a 2tb 2.5 inch drive cheaper!

You don't need a NAS drive but they're better suited for 24/7 storage. Any 2.5" drive will work for the OS as you're not hammering it as much as the storage. Surprised you need to fill all the bays though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions