Best 43" budget 4k TV

Found 28th Feb
Which would you choose out of the following 3 models?
All are very similarly priced.

Philips 43PUS6262
Hisense h43n5700
LG 43uj701v

I think the LG may be the best spec'd but might be a Currys exclusive. Not sure if there is non-Currys equivalent LG model.
The Hisense is a few quid cheaper than the others, but I can't find any trustworthy reviews.
The Philips has the gimicky ambilight and looks nicest overall but appears to have the worst sound by far.

Caveat: cannot go larger than 43" or higher than £400 for this room.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
19 Comments
Original Poster
Actually nevermind, just spotted the Hisense for £314.10 - which is miles cheaper than the others so will just go with that.
hotukdeals.com/dea…970
Edited by: "Bestard" 28th Feb
Reason I bought an LG TV is because I have Amazon Prime and Now TV account (and it was very cheap). You might want to bear that in mind if you already have any subscriptions when you're looking at a TV.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 28th Feb
Original Poster
RiverDragon839 m ago

Reason I bought an LG TV is because I have Amazon Prime and Now TV account …Reason I bought an LG TV is because I have Amazon Prime and Now TV account (and it was very cheap). You might want to bear that in mind if you already have any subscriptions when you're looking at a TV.

Not sure I understand
Bestard11 m ago

Not sure I understand

Maybe the Smart TV functionality?

How much is the Philips and is it Ambilight?
Original Poster
Can get the Phillips for £360.
Yes it's ambilight.

Are you saying the hisense isn't a smart TV?
I just assumed all modern 4k TVs had smart functionality as standard.
Can't find any reliable reviews of it to verify.
For example LG TV comes with pre-install apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV etc. If you don't have any subscription to any of these then it's not important. I think it's handy to be able to control my Amazon Prime and Now TV with one remote instead of multiple devices plugged into the TV.
Original Poster
In the manufacturers words (describing the smart interface):
Vidaa U with Freeview Play which gives you access to BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, DEMAND 5, Netflix, Now TV, Amazon Prime and more
Are you going to wall mount that Hisense? Those feet used as a stand look crap and unstable, you might want to factor in £15-20 for a decent stand.
Original Poster
RiverDragon84 m ago

Are you going to wall mount that Hisense? Those feet used as a stand look …Are you going to wall mount that Hisense? Those feet used as a stand look crap and unstable, you might want to factor in £15-20 for a decent stand.

Can't wall mount in this bedroom.
I'll probably have stuff in front of the TV to hide the legs
I'm talking about buying a TV stand, for example. It's very common for TV's to come with those crappy feet.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Mar
Is the Philips tv android? I have Philips in the living room and LG in bedroom. My Philips android tv just pips my LG tv. If it’s wasnt android I would definitely prefer my LG though.
Original Poster
howarth33 m ago

Is the Philips tv android? I have Philips in the living room and LG in …Is the Philips tv android? I have Philips in the living room and LG in bedroom. My Philips android tv just pips my LG tv. If it’s wasnt android I would definitely prefer my LG though.

The OS makes that much difference to people?
Bestard2 h, 54 m ago

The OS makes that much difference to people?

Not really, your TV is only really to show a picture. Smart Tv's are pretty pants after a couple of years as manufacturers only care about new products. Better off buying a Nvidia shield, fire TV or android box.
RiverDragon811 h, 27 m ago

For example LG TV comes with pre-install apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, …For example LG TV comes with pre-install apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV etc. If you don't have any subscription to any of these then it's not important. I think it's handy to be able to control my Amazon Prime and Now TV with one remote instead of multiple devices plugged into the TV.

Hisense comes with at least Netflix and Amazon prime
Bestard10 h, 54 m ago

Can't wall mount in this bedroom.I'll probably have stuff in front of the …Can't wall mount in this bedroom.I'll probably have stuff in front of the TV to hide the legs

be carefull, the feet arent very tall so the distance between the bezel and the table will be very small
kester761 h, 11 m ago

Not really, your TV is only really to show a picture. Smart Tv's are …Not really, your TV is only really to show a picture. Smart Tv's are pretty pants after a couple of years as manufacturers only care about new products. Better off buying a Nvidia shield, fire TV or android box.

Completely disagree with you. Nvidia shield complete overkill, fire TV has no Now TV app and an android box no Amazon Prime in HD, no Now TV app.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Mar
RiverDragon84 h, 38 m ago

Completely disagree with you. Nvidia shield complete overkill, fire TV has …Completely disagree with you. Nvidia shield complete overkill, fire TV has no Now TV app and an android box no Amazon Prime in HD, no Now TV app.

Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use it myself as I have Sky Q but it's an android app so an android box will work fine.

Problem with Tv's the tech that powers them like mobile phones becomes slow as IPC demand increases so I would go for picture quality over the fact I can load flappy bird on it. Same with sound in my opinion, too many people buy an amazing TV buy saddle it with crappy on board speakers.

I used my LG YouTube, Netflix and prime app on my TV but the firestick v2 just works so much better. I find EPGs to be some what probmatic once the manufacturer tries to add new features. Most people will disagree with this as they have a new TV with quad core blah blah but it has to do other processes in the background for TV operation and then you load all the sodding LG ads and its snail pace.

When I buy a TV I buy into a manufacturers fan club where I can watch all the new TV ads load because it's a pastime favourite of mine.
kester761 h, 5 m ago

Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use it …Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use it myself as I have Sky Q but it's an android app so an android box will work fine. Problem with Tv's the tech that powers them like mobile phones becomes slow as IPC demand increases so I would go for picture quality over the fact I can load flappy bird on it. Same with sound in my opinion, too many people buy an amazing TV buy saddle it with crappy on board speakers.I used my LG YouTube, Netflix and prime app on my TV but the firestick v2 just works so much better. I find EPGs to be some what probmatic once the manufacturer tries to add new features. Most people will disagree with this as they have a new TV with quad core blah blah but it has to do other processes in the background for TV operation and then you load all the sodding LG ads and its snail pace.When I buy a TV I buy into a manufacturers fan club where I can watch all the new TV ads load because it's a pastime favourite of mine.

''Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use it myself as I have Sky Q but it's an android app so an android box will work fine''

Are you saying you can play Now TV app on any android TV box? Also I've been with Amazon Prime for over 2+ years now and never had Now TV support.

I would never buy a AFS V2 to use on my LG 4K TV, you do see a slight difference in performance as the stick is faster at loading and changing categories but it's limited to FHD.
RiverDragon857 m ago

''Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use …''Just read that Amazon killed off now tv support last year. I don't use it myself as I have Sky Q but it's an android app so an android box will work fine''Are you saying you can play Now TV app on any android TV box? Also I've been with Amazon Prime for over 2+ years now and never had Now TV support. I would never buy a AFS V2 to use on my LG 4K TV, you do see a slight difference in performance as the stick is faster at loading and changing categories but it's limited to FHD.

You're right about that, I miss read the post as it's the Kindle fire HD and not the firestick
I don't have 4k at the moment as I would need to swap out the TV, Bluray player and Home Theatre plus upgrading my netflix account to the next tier for 4k. Only 4k device I have is the sky Q 2tb unit and my slightly small resolution WQHD Samsung S8. I like the colour, brightness and contrast improvements but detail wise I'm not so impressed with 4K as I'm used to higher dpi devices. Also my Mums giant 4k OLED looks like ass with SD footage.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions