Best 4K HDR, 10 bit TV or Monitor for Xbone S/ Ps4 pro?

Found 22nd Mar 2017
Looking for a 4k hdr 10 bit tv or monitor suited for SBONE and PSPRO.

Haven't had a monitor before, are they better?

budgets about 400 or so.

Please bare in mind, I don't have a jar of glue about specs.

Cheers.

12 Comments

Some of those Hisense sets are meant to be good. Around £400-500 for 50". Not sure it's 10 bit though.

Original Poster

loopylloyd

Some of those Hisense sets are meant to be good. Around £400-500 for 50". … Some of those Hisense sets are meant to be good. Around £400-500 for 50". Not sure it's 10 bit though.

​Hi, 50" is a bit too big, looking for about 40 inch for a tv and 28+ for a monitor, should of really put that in description really.

Sony Bravia KD43XD8088, probably one of the best 4k HDR TV's in the 40" category

Old_King_Doran

​Hi, 50" is a bit too big, looking for about 40 inch for a tv and 28+ for … ​Hi, 50" is a bit too big, looking for about 40 inch for a tv and 28+ for a monitor, should of really put that in description really.

Yeah, some say you don't see any reflection of HDR quality in a screen below 50/55 inch for TV's. Not an expert on this one though, other members may know more. You may be better with a monitor as they have significantly less input lag. I was looking at getting the Asus MX279H which is an IPS 1080p monitor with only 5ms lag. TV's are 20+ms lag at least generally. You need to decide whether you prefer gaming on a sofa or at a desk?

Edited by: "loopylloyd" 22nd Mar 2017

Original Poster

ffsbrads

Sony Bravia KD43XD8088, probably one of the best 4k HDR TV's in the 40" … Sony Bravia KD43XD8088, probably one of the best 4k HDR TV's in the 40" category

​Is that the triluminous display tv?

Original Poster

loopylloyd

Yeah, some say you don't see any reflection of HDR quality in a screen … Yeah, some say you don't see any reflection of HDR quality in a screen below 50/55 inch for TV's. Not an expert on this one though, other members may know more. You may be better with a monitor as they have significantly less input lag. I was looking at getting the Asus MX279H which is an IPS 1080p monitor with only 5ms lag. TV's are 20+ms lag at least generally. You need to decide whether you prefer gaming on a sofa or at a desk?

​Well, I sit extremely close to my tv as its on a desk and usually end up leaning forward as I play.

HDR is a new and expensive technology. For the full set of HDR hardware (or as much as is currently available) the absolute minimum would be the likes of the Panasonic DX902 at £1400+

Below that you're looking at partial HDR sets that don't have all the hardware needed to reproduce an HDR picture.

At £400 you're going to get very little in the way of HDR display hardware. Mostly just HDR signal compatibility and maybe a wider colour gamut if you're happy to go for a smaller screen.

If you've already got a good TV then you're wasting your time right now with HDR on that budget. Give it another three or five years and you might get something that does a credible job for £400.

If you need a new TV anyway then I'd concentrate on general picture quality and if you get HDR compatibility consider it a bonus.

HDR monitors haven't been released yet as far as I know, but I'd certainly expect prices on the proper HDR screens to be £1k and above.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

HDR is a new and expensive technology. For the full set of HDR hardware … HDR is a new and expensive technology. For the full set of HDR hardware (or as much as is currently available) the absolute minimum would be the likes of the Panasonic DX902 at £1400+Below that you're looking at partial HDR sets that don't have all the hardware needed to reproduce an HDR picture.At £400 you're going to get very little in the way of HDR display hardware. Mostly just HDR signal compatibility and maybe a wider colour gamut if you're happy to go for a smaller screen.If you've already got a good TV then you're wasting your time right now with HDR on that budget. Give it another three or five years and you might get something that does a credible job for £400. If you need a new TV anyway then I'd concentrate on general picture quality and if you get HDR compatibility consider it a bonus. HDR monitors haven't been released yet as far as I know, but I'd certainly expect prices on the proper HDR screens to be £1k and above.

​Thats way out of range haha, I really just needed a 10 bit tv which is suitable for the consoles, full hdr/4k or not they do look much better than standard 1080 anyway.

Tv wise, that sony does look the best bet.

Original Poster

Was also looking at this, amazon.co.uk/gp/…TF8

I'd highly suggest a Samsung KS7000 series or above. Great pictures on all definition and game mode for least input lag. Monitors will have less input lag but Sammys are highly recommended if it's a TV you want. New Samsung model about to land which aren't any better than the current (old) models. Haven't seen the new QLED sets they are trying to do but good deals to be had on KS7000 series and up. These are all 10bit panels and very low input lag.

Old_King_Doran

​Thats way out of range haha, I really just needed a 10 bit tv which is s … ​Thats way out of range haha, I really just needed a 10 bit tv which is suitable for the consoles, full hdr/4k or not they do look much better than standard 1080 anyway.

With a ~40-50" screen at desktop distances the resolution will be a big benefit. It's the pixel size that computer monitors have been using for a long time (48" at 4k is the same as 24" at 1920x1080).

IIRC the consoles output at 8-bit as HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 4K, 60hz and 10-bit without using colour compression (blu-rays use 4:2:0).

The bit depth is mostly a big deal in the processing stage when you're converting between colour spaces rather than input or output. As far as I know all of the current TVs that advertise HDR handle that correctly, but if you fancy a model two or three years old it might be worth checking.

Old_King_Doran

​Thats way out of range haha, I really just needed a 10 bit tv which is s … ​Thats way out of range haha, I really just needed a 10 bit tv which is suitable for the consoles, full hdr/4k or not they do look much better than standard 1080 anyway.Tv wise, that sony does look the best bet.

You can forget about 10 bit HDR on your budget. Samsung ks7000 is one of the cheaper 10 bit HDR panels which is about twice you budget. I bought a LG "HDR Pro" 43 inch 4k tv last year for £400 and my advice is don't. The HDR is terrible, just makes everything brighter and more washed out looking and the input lag is diabolical, almost unplayable for me. Though I am more sensitive to input lag since I play on a very fast gaming monitor.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants