best AA & AAA battery charger

11 replies
Found 22nd Nov 2016
What is the best battery charger for AA/AAA and the odd 18650, the cells will be Ni-MH/CD and Li-Ion, I say best and what i mean is looking after the batteries, I have read the Youshiko YC5000 on Amazon is good at looking after them and charging but what your advice before i take the plunge, i have a mix of 7dayshop AAA 1100mAh and various other AA, I'd like to keep budget below £50

11 Comments

I use the Xtar VC4 (£20 or so). Intelligently identifies and charges up to four cylindrical cells. Excellent for my Li Ion's. Can be quite successful at bringing a dead cell back to life.

scrumpypaul

I use the Xtar VC4 (£20 or so). Intelligently identifies and charges up … I use the Xtar VC4 (£20 or so). Intelligently identifies and charges up to four cylindrical cells. Excellent for my Li Ion's. Can be quite successful at bringing a dead cell back to life.

Me too. I spent quite a bit of time researching and this seemed to be universally regarded as the best value.

+1 on the vc4, I also have the lidl one for faster charging time and pp3.

scrumpypaul

I use the Xtar VC4 (£20 or so). Intelligently identifies and charges up … I use the Xtar VC4 (£20 or so). Intelligently identifies and charges up to four cylindrical cells. Excellent for my Li Ion's. Can be quite successful at bringing a dead cell back to life.

seem that mentioned a few times, any with greater capacity than 4 cells? cant see any by xtar with more

brilly

seem that mentioned a few times, any with greater capacity than 4 cells? … seem that mentioned a few times, any with greater capacity than 4 cells? cant see any by xtar with more

​lidl one does 6 aa ,could just buy multiple vc4s, they are powered from USB so could plug 5(or more) into one adaptor if you need to charge a lot in one go.

shadey12

​lidl one does 6 aa ,could just buy multiple vc4s, they are powered from U … ​lidl one does 6 aa ,could just buy multiple vc4s, they are powered from USB so could plug 5(or more) into one adaptor if you need to charge a lot in one go.

yeah i currently use a lidl one but would like a big one

brilly

yeah i currently use a lidl one but would like a big one

​each to their own, I haven't seen one as good as the vc4 with more spaces, to be honest I would be a bit wary of getting a 10 or more charger,
if it broke I'd be gutted, if my lidl or vc4 broke it's £15 each to replace, rather than maybe £25-40.

Original Poster

OK seems the xtar vc4 is the one to look at which is handy as it saves me a few quid however, i am intrested in buying the wall charger, any suggestions of that one or should i just go for cheap as chips version?

Alloneword

OK seems the xtar vc4 is the one to look at which is handy as it saves me … OK seems the xtar vc4 is the one to look at which is handy as it saves me a few quid however, i am intrested in buying the wall charger, any suggestions of that one or should i just go for cheap as chips version?

​when you say the wall charger, do you mean the USB adaptor to plug the vc4 into.

Original Poster

shadey12

​when you say the wall charger, do you mean the USB adaptor to plug the v … ​when you say the wall charger, do you mean the USB adaptor to plug the vc4 into.

No i know it comes with a USB at one end and then that goes into the charger but i will be taking it some places without a usb socket so wanted a mains supply, having done some reading at amazon it seems this is the item i need amazon.co.uk/dp/…10/ which i will buy with the charger that way i have the best of both worlds Anker 5 port charger for indoors but when i go out where there is no USB supply i can just use this mains plug.

All1

Alloneword

No i know it comes with a USB at one end and then that goes into the … No i know it comes with a USB at one end and then that goes into the charger but i will be taking it some places without a usb socket so wanted a mains supply, having done some reading at amazon it seems this is the item i need https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G2VIV10/ which i will buy with the charger that way i have the best of both worlds Anker 5 port charger for indoors but when i go out where there is no USB supply i can just use this mains plug.All1

Any half decent USB plug adaptor will do the job. £8 sounds a bit pricey to be honest. I just use whatever spare one is knocking around on my bench. One doesn't work very well but the others work fine. Just try it with whatever you have lying around before you spend your money. £8 is knocking on for half the price of the actual charger. Plus, in real terms, isn't it easier just charging a few extra cells up first rather than lugging your charger and an adaptor? You may actually need to have a charger with you, but I just thought I'd mention it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition73802
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk22
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!66
    4. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11

See more discussions