Best advice, tools, brands tools for a rookie painter / decorator of my own living room, e.g. roller, paintbrushes, paint, etc?

Found 3rd Apr
I am about to paint my living room. I have skirting, picture rail and plaster coving. I want to do a feature wall (fireplace walls) of a darker colour. We have new MDT (unpainted alcove units). We have new plastered walls and ceiling. Just need to know what to do first, second, etc. What materials to buy, including the paint brands etc? Any advice would be most welcome.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Paint
  3. Tool
4 Comments
I used screw fix own brand new plaster paint as an undercoat when my house was replastered and can't recommend it enough. screwfix.com/p/n…EMA
Edited by: "vcd1man" 3rd Apr
Generally I use Dulux and Valspar paints. Any wood will need an undercoat prior to painting, I usually use an all in one primer and undercoat as sometimes when rubbing down you can end up at bare wood. If painting new wood then do not forget to apply Knotting to it first.
With regards to new plaster just water down some cheep white emulsion so that it soaks into the wall as oppsed to laying on top. This then allows your emulsion to stick to the wall thus avoiding flaking.
Brushes I just buy a pack of five Harris or Stanly for about £10 to £15. Buy a reasonable wool type roller and extension pole as makes the job so much quicker.
Original Poster
The plaster has been up for some weeks now. Is it still necc to use paint specifically for going straight onto plaster?
Original Poster
Decided to buy screwfix paint as per VCD1man and hubcms advice on the Harris brushes and extension pole. Thxs
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants