Best All In One PC

Found 11th Sep 2012
I am looking for a new PC and like the idea of the all in one computers as I don't have a lot of space in my home office.

I need a computer which will be capable of running my client's server on one side of the screen and our software on the other side of the screen. At the main office we do this using the click feature of Windows 7 but even though the PCs are only just a year old they are already struggling.

I also would like some kind of package deal if there is one that includes Microsoft Office. I use open office at home but isn't really suitable for my work as we use lots of templates which are only available on MO.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
MiscPC
13 Comments
If you must get Windows, then look at the recent Dell all in ones.

Or an iMac.
Original Poster
Unfortunately, the server and the software aren't compatible with mac so has to be Windows. Plus, I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start with a mac!
Edited by: "wundress" 11th Sep 2012
Budget?
Original Poster
How much do you think I should be paying for a half decent one? I saw a good deal on an HP but I've had bad experiences with them before.
Original Poster
I was looking around £500 but could go a little higher at a push. Trouble is I work in the main office normally so working from home isn't the norm and would be using it infrequently for my work and would be doing my partners books on it once a week which doesn't take an all singing and dancing pc to do.
hotukdeals.com/dea…724

As the budget is £500, Dell is out of your price range.

Check out Lenovo, perhaps install a SSD for a speed boost.
not a great idea using an AIO for a server, they are simply not built for that kind of use.
Original Poster
What would you suggest instead? Also, whatever I buy needs to have a pretty big screen. I just thought the AIO's were pretty neat. My home office is tiny lol
Original Poster
When I say server I mean I remotely log in to the client's server which runs Microsoft 2000.
now you're confusing me, if its logging into a server then its a client not a server, if its running a program 24/7 as a client or server then its not a job for an AIO.
Other disadvantages are the use of proprietary parts in AIO's means if a breakdown should happen you could be without its use for a while whereas a standard desktop can/should be up and in running in hours given a competent engineer/company.
Perhaps a smaller standardised case design such as itx would do the job and fit in to the small space or even think about a traditional desktop chassis design where the pc can double as a stand for the monitor or a printer saving much of the space usually required by a tower design.
Banned
wundress

When I say server I mean I remotely log in to the client's server which … When I say server I mean I remotely log in to the client's server which runs Microsoft 2000.

Windows remote desktop connection available on Mac. I use it to access my servers...
Original Poster
Hi

I ended up buying a Lenovo desktop with a smaller tower with i3 processor. The server is accessed through VPN and only during work hours.

Trouble is now that the wireless link isn't strong enough upstairs in my house. I have sky broadband and have bought what was meant to be a really good wireless adapter after looking at reviews online. When it arrived the instructions said it was for windows xp but I had already opened the box so that's 20 quid wasted.
wundress

HiI ended up buying a Lenovo desktop with a smaller tower with i3 … HiI ended up buying a Lenovo desktop with a smaller tower with i3 processor. The server is accessed through VPN and only during work hours.Trouble is now that the wireless link isn't strong enough upstairs in my house. I have sky broadband and have bought what was meant to be a really good wireless adapter after looking at reviews online. When it arrived the instructions said it was for windows xp but I had already opened the box so that's 20 quid wasted.

If you want a quality, reliable connection, you simply have to use ethernet. Nothing else can compete with it for simplicity, reliability, or performance. Wireless is good if you can't have wires, but it's a much more complex and inherently unreliable technology, even if you do have the best quality gear.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions