Best and most reliable (small) <1.6 engine for new drivers

Found 9th Jan
Would like your opinion on the best small car. Looking for an automatic. For a person who has recently passed. 18 years old male. Budget for car 5k and insurance should be reasonable (I know it depends on location, and other factors too).

I like the Ford fiesta 10/11 plate however heard that the automatic gearbox is causing many issues.

Appreciate any help. thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

I have no idea if the gearbox is/was the same but my mum had a 2010 Focus 1.6 auto on lease for 4 years and never had any mechanical problems with the car what so ever. Her new Qashqai 1.3 auto however judders about far to often at low speed, it clearly doesn't like 1st gear and does its best to get to second far too quickly.

The Nissan Micra can be a boys or girls car - depending on the colour. It is also very comfortable for big drivers; I test drove one and was very happy, not only with the driving position, but the amount of poke from the 1.2L engine.
(I am 6' 6" and 150KG)

Why an automatic, did he only take the test in an automatic??

Small autos are rarely very good, especially when it comes to trying to park them.

I once bought an auto micra it was 2005 1.2 and insurance was brilliant kept it for 5 years never spent a penny other than breaks / service etc
In snow it worked like a 4 x 4
There is no timing belt only chain, minimum I paid for insurance was 180 for a year on Scotland address with 5 yr no claim bonus at that time
Only drawback is auto small cars are very dear o n fuel on motorways
Yaris also very good car for auto,
As long as insurance group is under 5 u should be fine

Suzuki Swift

Toyota iq. Perfect town car, turns on a sixpence, can seat 4 but better for 2.

Hyundai I 10, or i20.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771842
    2. Without saying how old you are, Name one thing from your childhood someone …4574
    3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…8231548
    4. Fake news1011

See more discussions