Groups

Best and user friendliest anti virus/ firewall

So i got my new laptop (yay its pink!) and the trial norton and mcafee are running out tomorrow. on my old laptop i had avast and avg i think....but i didnt really like avast (i think thats what it was) it kept asking me questiuons that i wasnt sure about.....sounds stupid right!

basically i need a easy to use firewall/anti virus. Free would be good but if there is a simple one that asks minimal questions that exists on the cheap then thats ok as well.

many thanks

11 Comments

I use MIcrosoft Security Essentials.

It's not bad but slows your machine down when it's updating the virus definitions.

get avast antivirus, just stick with windows firewall I have never had a problem with it

you're not meant to run both Norton and mcafee together only 1 AV should run at any one time.

us.norton.com/sup…_US

service.mcafee.com/FAQ…507

run the removal tools

Then try avast free avast.com/fre…oad

edit .. They will all ask questions when they find something. You could set it to just quarantine everything it finds that is suspicious.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 14th Dec 2010

Banned

Somebody

I use MIcrosoft Security Essentials.It's not bad but slows your machine … I use MIcrosoft Security Essentials.It's not bad but slows your machine down when it's updating the virus definitions.

Not if you use a computer built within the last 10 years...

Somebody

I use MIcrosoft Security Essentials.It's not bad but slows your machine … I use MIcrosoft Security Essentials.It's not bad but slows your machine down when it's updating the virus definitions.

Agree MSE, but it doesn't slow mine down, in fact I hardly ever get reminded that it's there.

And don't forget, Windows has a built in firewall from XP onwards (which is enabled by default on Win7).

free firewall
    comodo
    microsoft
    zonealarm
    antivirus
    microsoft security essentials
    avast
    avira

Original Poster

oh! awesome stuff guys

will run the removal threads thanks.....and send everything to quarantine.

as my laptop is new does that mean i don't need to download a separate firewall? just the avast?

thanks loads....off to pick up the boys from school

magicbeans

oh! awesome stuff guyswill run the removal threads thanks.....and send … oh! awesome stuff guyswill run the removal threads thanks.....and send everything to quarantine.as my laptop is new does that mean i don't need to download a separate firewall? just the avast?thanks loads....off to pick up the boys from school

I presume it's Windows 7? Yes, it's already running. Forget about it.

Banned

if you are with bt broadband then you get mcafee for free

I'd go with Microsoft Security Essentials. AVG is bloated and I've gone off Avast.

I get Kaspersky free which I like but when it expires, I'll go with MSE.

Original Poster

thanks guys ...will leave the firewall and get avast/MSE.

thanks all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844477
      2. Fifa 18 web app Now active.22
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1824
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826355

See more discussions