Found 27th Dec 2016
Hi everyone, just wondering which android box is the best for around £50 to £75
I have been looking at the T95Z, H96 Pro and T96 Pro. I want it to be able to play 4k videos from a USB hard drive and it will be also used for Kodi.
Any other recommendations

1. Ask
  2. Android
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Android
22 Comments

T95z is a good box, I got sent out two last month to review and thought it was great. The box lights up but theres a button saying LED which turns it off.
H96 there decent as well.
Theres no such thing as the best box there all similar. Some boxes using 6.0 crash Kodi or make the image look really dark.

Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply, just wondering when you used the T95Z does the LCD display just show the time or does it tell you the video playback time. Also did it have AC wifi
Edited by: "joerob1972" 27th Dec 2016

I'm not making a recommendation but I will advise with first hand experience that a Quad Core S905 with Mali 450 GPU box is ample for 4k playback from a Samsung M3 HDD.

Why not an Amazon Fire TV instead of these dodgy boxes? Kodi runs very smoothly on mine. Admittedly it isn't the 4k model but I'm sure that works just as well.

These are half the price of the Amazon 4K box.

If you have a 4K TV you will almost certainly be able to play 4K media straight from a USB stick. Just do that. And buy a Fire Stick for Kodi as it also has the benefit of a (nice) remote and an app for controlling it on your phone. You can even use CEC on your TV remote to control some features, though this isn't working on my TV. I wouldn't trust one of those Gearbest boxes to provide a reliable experience, personally. Kodi doesn't have any streams higher than 1080P anyway AFAIK.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 27th Dec 2016

Toon_army

T95z is a good box, I got sent out two last month to review and thought … T95z is a good box, I got sent out two last month to review and thought it was great. The box lights up but theres a button saying LED which turns it off.H96 there decent as well.Theres no such thing as the best box there all similar. Some boxes using 6.0 crash Kodi or make the image look really dark.

How do you get to review things?

nokiafusion

These are half the price of the Amazon 4K box.

That may be so but the Amazon 4k box appears to be within his budget, is supported by a reputable company, etc.

dave80

Why not an Amazon Fire TV instead of these dodgy boxes? Kodi runs very … Why not an Amazon Fire TV instead of these dodgy boxes? Kodi runs very smoothly on mine. Admittedly it isn't the 4k model but I'm sure that works just as well.

I am not sure why you call these boxes dodgy. If you are referring to the ones with the dodgy addons included fair enough. But, although these boxes more often or not have these addons included, they can easily be removed. There is not a great deal of support from the manufacturers, but there is some support via google.

The boxes mentioned have S912 amlogic chip, so the android version of kodi, SPMC can be installed.

The S905 versions, can have LibreELEC installed.

In my opinion, these boxes are great value for the money, no doubt in a few months newer boxes will come out, so I don't believe spending a fortune on a device, is really cost affective.

However, although I don't have a Fire TV from what I read, these are good boxes.

nokiafusion

How does this compare … How does this compare https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KK6FOEK/?tag=ho01f-21

Have tried T95Z which is very good; and it's similar. Get the 2G 16GB.

Toon_army

T95z is a good box, I got sent out two last month to review and thought … T95z is a good box, I got sent out two last month to review and thought it was great. The box lights up but theres a button saying LED which turns it off.H96 there decent as well.Theres no such thing as the best box there all similar. Some boxes using 6.0 crash Kodi or make the image look really dark.

Are you testing these boxes on a TV or monitor? This will stop the boxes from crashing.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Dec 2016

dave80

That may be so but the Amazon 4k box appears to be within his budget, is … That may be so but the Amazon 4k box appears to be within his budget, is supported by a reputable company, etc.

Although Amazon is a great company, it might support the Fire TV, but it doesn't help installing kodi.

Amazon, is also another company cashing in on "Fully Loaded" android tv boxes.

Best one I've had is the Nvidia Shield TV.

Had to replace the unit, one pad, and two remotes though...

Thankfully all returned for nowt under warranty.

Touch wood it's been fine for six months or so now.

Original Poster

misterleoni

If you have a 4K TV you will almost certainly be able to play 4K media … If you have a 4K TV you will almost certainly be able to play 4K media straight from a USB stick. Just do that. And buy a Fire Stick for Kodi as it also has the benefit of a (nice) remote and an app for controlling it on your phone. You can even use CEC on your TV remote to control some features, though this isn't working on my TV. I wouldn't trust one of those Gearbest boxes to provide a reliable experience, personally. Kodi doesn't have any streams higher than 1080P anyway AFAIK.

I have a Sony 4k TV that runs android but it seems to struggle with 4k video from USB, I thought a more powerful andoid box may run it fine.

It tell you if there's a USB connected, if your using wifi or ethernet. It doesn't tell you the running time just the clock time

joerob1972

Thanks for the quick reply, just wondering when you used the T95Z does … Thanks for the quick reply, just wondering when you used the T95Z does the LCD display just show the time or does it tell you the video playback time. Also did it have AC wifi

Toon_army

Toon_army

I've got a YouTube channel, company's always get in touch with me to test boxes and stuff

RiverDragon8

Are you testing these boxes on a TV or monitor? This will stop the boxes … Are you testing these boxes on a TV or monitor? This will stop the boxes from crashing.

Its nothing to do with TV or monitor, its the 6.0 there's been loads of issues. Check all the Kodi forums loads of people have been complaining.

joerob1972

I have a Sony 4k TV that runs android but it seems to struggle with 4k … I have a Sony 4k TV that runs android but it seems to struggle with 4k video from USB, I thought a more powerful andoid box may run it fine.

I find it highly unlikely that one of these boxes with a Rockchip or Mediatek chip in it is going to natively support 4K better than your TV to be honest. Have you tried using a different stick?

Toon_army

It tell you if there's a USB connected, if your using wifi or ethernet. … It tell you if there's a USB connected, if your using wifi or ethernet. It doesn't tell you the running time just the clock timeI've got a YouTube channel, company's always get in touch with me to test boxes and stuffIts nothing to do with TV or monitor, its the 6.0 there's been loads of issues. Check all the Kodi forums loads of people have been complaining.

If I hook my android TV box to my monitor the picture is a lot darker than if I hook it up to my TV. Also you can address the problem with the box keeps crashing if you go into settings (the link I just gave you).
Also there's another bug you have to deal with if your using Pulse build. Even tho you shut it down properly next time you use Kodi it might not start up (blank black screen) so you have to do the usual :- settings/apps/kodi/force stop/clear cache. Some builds don't play nice with android 6.0 so you have to switch build.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Dec 2016

Original Poster

misterleoni

I find it highly unlikely that one of these boxes with a Rockchip or … I find it highly unlikely that one of these boxes with a Rockchip or Mediatek chip in it is going to natively support 4K better than your TV to be honest. Have you tried using a different stick?

I have an m8s android box but 4k stutters and is unwatchable, the TV itself plays it a bit better but stutters less

joerob1972

I have an m8s android box but 4k stutters and is unwatchable, the TV … I have an m8s android box but 4k stutters and is unwatchable, the TV itself plays it a bit better but stutters less

Are you using SPMC, are you using passthrough, if so, try changing the settings

Original Poster

bubblegum2910

Are you using SPMC, are you using passthrough, if so, try changing the … Are you using SPMC, are you using passthrough, if so, try changing the settings

I just downloaded Kodi 16.1 and used Ares wizard to put pulse ccm build on.
I have it connected wired rather than wireless (I'm on 200meg Virgin)
Will give SPMC a try, cheers

By using a wizard, you are installing lots of addons that you probably won't use. To get the addons this site is very good.

seo-michael.co.uk/how…di/

Exodus, is another good addon. Stuttering can also be due to the source & not actually a problem with kodi or your network.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Money Saving Tips...2341
    2. Which wall design do you like best?89
    3. word association Game74244939
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901

See more discussions