Groups

Best Android box for around £50?

I'm signed up to both Netflix and NowTV and a friend recently advised me to get an Android Box, he showed me a brief video and they seem great. Looking on Amazon (I currently have Prime if that helps?), theres many to choose from and I have no idea which is the best.

If anyone can give some advice or suggestions, I'd hugely appreciate it.

11 Comments

Original Poster

the Fire TV box much of the same thing then? as an example, Now TV has The Flash seasons 1& 2 but not season 3 - where as my friend with the android box has all of them available.

thanks for your response..

If you are happy with whatever current method you use to access Netflix, you can probably lower your budget for the box but maintain the overall spend via also buying a mini remote keyboard+mousepad - this will make using the box so much easier. A decent-spec Android box with 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, BT 4.0, dual wifi costs from around £35 fulfilled Amazon, example: amazon.co.uk/dp/…60/ with rechargeable backlit UK-layout mini keyboard&pad at £13 amazon.co.uk/gp/…VI/

Original Poster

Andy Royd - thanks for the suggestions, that box looks ideal. My friend has got an M8s and I notice there's an M9s though it's higher in price, how do they compare to the one you linked me? Thanks for your help.

Bynouk - The Flash season 3 is currently 13 episodes in

Deleted my comment as I realised after I'd posted it, cheers for the heads up, gonna watch it haha.

Original Poster

No worries bynouk, the only reason i know is because The Flash season 3 is my main motive for getting an android box X)

Enjoy!

Ben5k

Andy Royd - thanks for the suggestions, that box looks ideal. My friend … Andy Royd - thanks for the suggestions, that box looks ideal. My friend has got an M8s and I notice there's an M9s though it's higher in price, how do they compare to the one you linked me? Thanks for your help.Bynouk - The Flash season 3 is currently 13 episodes in

Different sources apply different spec to those model numbers, but generally the M8 models are based on S905(x) CPU and the M9 models on the slightly higher-spec S912. It's not a straigtforward comparison though. If you are not a tinkerer, have no interest in Libreelec and absolutely must have gigabit LAN, then the sub-£40 S912 may suit amazon.co.uk/dp/…W1/

Original Poster

Sorry Andy, you seem quite knowledgeable and I obviously haven't got a clue. I clicked the link to that libreelec and it was all foreign to me. Which of the two links that you provided for me would you suggest I go for?

I saw another post about a Roku 3 HD streaming player - is that much the same thing?

Again, thanks for your help.

Ben5k

Sorry Andy, you seem quite knowledgeable and I obviously haven't got a … Sorry Andy, you seem quite knowledgeable and I obviously haven't got a clue. I clicked the link to that libreelec and it was all foreign to me. Which of the two links that you provided for me would you suggest I go for?I saw another post about a Roku 3 HD streaming player - is that much the same thing?Again, thanks for your help.

The first is a difficult question purely as the the price difference between the two suggested items is unusally small at the moment. As you have no interest in tinkering you could err towards the £40 S912-based box to benefit from marginally better spec/performance, or if you are OK to live with marginally lesser spec/performance (but still more than competent) in favour of better future support then consider the £35 S905X-based box.
    The Roku 3 HD streaming player is pretty much as its name suggests: a streaming device; whereas Android boxes are mini PCs that can perform many functions including streaming. An Android box is effectively an Android tablet that uses a TV/monitor as its screen and is the more flexible of the two options. I suspect you will be utlimately looking to exploit the combination of Kodi media player and add-ons on the Android box and that will provide you with a greater range of content than the Roku, although some of the sources for the add-on content will be questionable.

Original Poster

Ok thank you for your help Andy, I'll make a choice between the two suggest this morning.

Ben5k

Ok thank you for your help Andy, I'll make a choice between the two … Ok thank you for your help Andy, I'll make a choice between the two suggest this morning.:D

Too late. Scrub the S912 option as at time of this post it has increased in price by £10 to restore the usual excessive price difference which is not justifiable for your suggested use, and the £35 S905X is now out of stock.

If you can live with total 8GB storage (maybe 5GB usable) and have no interest in bluetooth, dual wifi and gigabit: consider £32 fulfilled Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HP0DPL8/
    There are other HUKD threads for Android boxes at the moment. They may offer better value if you're OK with potential import fees and near-zero support/warranty from a foreign supplier.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. plusnet mobile terrible34
      2. Virgin Media - what is a good price?26
      3. Recommend a free reminder app1314
      4. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??11

See more discussions