Best Android TV Box

Found 25th Apr 2015
Hi all,

What's the best Android TV Box doing the rounds at the minute ?

Want to have a play with one & install Kodi on it running a premium IPTV server via Ruya & add a few other apps such as Showbox etc.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskAndroidNow TV
33 Comments
minix x8-h had mine a few month now and cant fault it
Thanks mate, the minix x8-h plus looks quite good.

Who is the best supplier - eBay ?
Amazon fire stick.. Only £35 and you can load Kodi etc.... Works far better than my quad core M8 box...
Edited by: "staffs1959" 25th Apr 2015
staffs1959

Amazon fire stick.. Only £35 and you can load Kodi etc.... Works far … Amazon fire stick.. Only £35 and you can load Kodi etc.... Works far better than my quad core M8 box...

What about the likes of Showbox etc ? Want something decent I can play about with
ChrisUK

What about the likes of Showbox etc ? Want something decent I can play … What about the likes of Showbox etc ? Want something decent I can play about with

Should be able to sideload but would want an air remote to use it with ease
is there no phone app to use with the firestick?
MK808B Plus... can be had for £20 via gearbest! really good piece of kit! works great with kodi
If budget is no option then yeah minix x8-h is one of the best followed by x8 & x7
*Sloman*

If budget is no option then yeah minix x8-h is one of the best followed … If budget is no option then yeah minix x8-h is one of the best followed by x8 & x7

I was looking at the x8-h plus, but the Amazon Fire TV has been recommended & around £65 every few weeks.

Not waded in yet as I haven't found a decent IPTV server yet whilst testing on an E2 box
ChrisUK

I was looking at the x8-h plus, but the Amazon Fire TV has been … I was looking at the x8-h plus, but the Amazon Fire TV has been recommended & around £65 every few weeks.Not waded in yet as I haven't found a decent IPTV server yet whilst testing on an E2 box

The FireTV is recommended by people who don't really have any idea what they're talking about. If it's not AMLogic, don't bother.
dcx_badass

The FireTV is recommended by people who don't really have any idea what … The FireTV is recommended by people who don't really have any idea what they're talking about. If it's not AMLogic, don't bother.

Care to elaborate please ? I'm new to Android.....

Thanks
ChrisUK

Care to elaborate please ? I'm new to Android.....Thanks

I had the fire TV and sold it after a month.

The fire box is good, it has a brilliant remote and build quality and the UI is very nice but its a locked down version of android so things can get frustrating very quick!

Examples:
-Amazon removed the VPN service from their version of android so you can't run a VPN on FireTV, this is useful for KODI when trying to access certain streams (or one blocked by UK ISPs) and for peace of mind when streaming etc.
-You can't block software updates without additional equipment eg a router with DD-WRT that you can block certain URLS. This is a problem as Amazon blocked root access and they MAY and i express its only a MAY decide one day to block side loading or apps like KODI for example and you have no way to prevent this.
-Navigating to KODI is a bit long winded, now you can side load an app called Llama so when you select an app on the home screen this will actually open KODI but again its another hassle.
-No expandable storage without root (which is now not possible unless you are good with a soldering iron), having only 5gb of usable space after installing KODI and a few apps you will soon be out of space and you can't plug in a USB/HDD to expand this. You can link to a network drive but again this is an additional cost if you don't already have one.

These are just of the few problems i can think off the top of my head, but i've not had a fire tv for a few months now so there could be more or a few things could of changed.
*Sloman*

I had the fire TV and sold it after a month.The fire box is good, it has … I had the fire TV and sold it after a month.The fire box is good, it has a brilliant remote and build quality and the UI is very nice but its a locked down version of android so things can get frustrating very quick!Examples: -Amazon removed the VPN service from their version of android so you can't run a VPN on FireTV, this is useful for KODI when trying to access certain streams (or one blocked by UK ISPs) and for peace of mind when streaming etc.-You can't block software updates without additional equipment eg a router with DD-WRT that you can block certain URLS. This is a problem as Amazon blocked root access and they MAY and i express its only a MAY decide one day to block side loading or apps like KODI for example and you have no way to prevent this.-Navigating to KODI is a bit long winded, now you can side load an app called Llama so when you select an app on the home screen this will actually open KODI but again its another hassle.-No expandable storage without root (which is now not possible unless you are good with a soldering iron), having only 5gb of usable space after installing KODI and a few apps you will soon be out of space and you can't plug in a USB/HDD to expand this. You can link to a network drive but again this is an additional cost if you don't already have one.These are just of the few problems i can think off the top of my head, but i've not had a fire tv for a few months now so there could be more or a few things could of changed.

I think the fire tv stick was recommended, not the fire tv.

The stick is far superior and I don't really understand what more you would need from an android box that you can't do on the stick (AMLogic or not). If storage is an issue (8gb for the stick). Then get a nas drive for the "backups" ahem, of your films/music
I'm not after a super cheap option, tried that with the raspberry Pi & it failed to deliver spectacularly !

Been reading the forums & think I will go for the X8-h plus with air remote, around £106 delivered (unless anyone knows of a better supplier than eBay/Amazon) ?

Thanks guys
ChrisUK

I'm not after a super cheap option, tried that with the raspberry Pi & it … I'm not after a super cheap option, tried that with the raspberry Pi & it failed to deliver spectacularly !Been reading the forums & think I will go for the X8-h plus with air remote, around £106 delivered (unless anyone knows of a better supplier than eBay/Amazon) ?Thanks guys

If you're looking to get an out and out media centre from your setup, fair enough - the majority on here just want access to free tv streams (_;)
kjcoolcat

If you're looking to get an out and out media centre from your setup, … If you're looking to get an out and out media centre from your setup, fair enough - the majority on here just want access to free tv streams (_;)

I'm going to use it for subscription based IPTV streams which I'm testing out currently on my E2 box, but I want a dedicated box for it.

Also want to replace my Apple TV so I don't need several devices to stream the likes of Moviebox/Showbox, I can just do it within 1 device.

Everything else is a bonus which I will no doubt be exploring, especially being relatively new to android.
Ordered the Minix X8-H Plus with Air Mouse - £103 delivered

Thanks for the input guys, if there are any recommended apps (or Kodi plugins), feel free to post up !

Also, is it worth installing the Kodi plugins separately or use one of the Wizards ?
ChrisUK

Ordered the Minix X8-H Plus with Air Mouse - £103 delivered :)Thanks for … Ordered the Minix X8-H Plus with Air Mouse - £103 delivered :)Thanks for the input guys, if there are any recommended apps (or Kodi plugins), feel free to post up !Also, is it worth installing the Kodi plugins separately or use one of the Wizards ?

what iptv service are you currently using? and how good is it on android box
Tested a few, the streamking one in currently playing work is best, uses a stand alone Ruya apk.

The box itself is brilliant, very good purchase
ChrisUK

Tested a few, the streamking one in currently playing work is best, uses … Tested a few, the streamking one in currently playing work is best, uses a stand alone Ruya apk.The box itself is brilliant, very good purchase

Can you provide link to download the apk and the pricinh please? looked at the Ruya website last night and couldn't find the subscription pricing.
jnrcocobean

Can you provide link to download the apk and the pricinh please? looked … Can you provide link to download the apk and the pricinh please? looked at the Ruya website last night and couldn't find the subscription pricing.

I'll drop you a PM
What about these MX boxes that appear on eBay and Amazon? Any good? I was looking to get one myself (only want to spend between £30-40) but what is the difference between them - MX, MX2, MXQ, etc?
Fellows

What about these MX boxes that appear on eBay and Amazon? Any good? I was … What about these MX boxes that appear on eBay and Amazon? Any good? I was looking to get one myself (only want to spend between £30-40) but what is the difference between them - MX, MX2, MXQ, etc?

I got the Minix X8-H plus in the end, fabulous box, ticks everything for me.
ChrisUK

I got the Minix X8-H plus in the end, fabulous box, ticks everything for … I got the Minix X8-H plus in the end, fabulous box, ticks everything for me.

Looks good but too expensive - just after a cheap box for somebody else, for the likes of Netflix and to run Kodi well, but mainly for plugging in a USB stick for MKV files.
Fellows

What about these MX boxes that appear on eBay and Amazon? Any good? I was … What about these MX boxes that appear on eBay and Amazon? Any good? I was looking to get one myself (only want to spend between £30-40) but what is the difference between them - MX, MX2, MXQ, etc?

If they're all S805 boxes, very little. The differences are usually just ports like optical, USB ports and even bluetooth like the MXQ. I do know the MXQ has good firmware. Supports 24p and comes pre-rooted. Kodi isn't stuck at 1280x720 either on the MXQ.
I've just bought one from Gearbest for £26 delivered from the UK.
Fellows

Looks good but too expensive - just after a cheap box for somebody else, … Looks good but too expensive - just after a cheap box for somebody else, for the likes of Netflix and to run Kodi well, but mainly for plugging in a USB stick for MKV files.

Yeah, too expensive for me too.
rev6

If they're all S805 boxes, very little. The differences are usually just … If they're all S805 boxes, very little. The differences are usually just ports like optical, USB ports and even bluetooth like the MXQ. I do know the MXQ has good firmware. Supports 24p and comes pre-rooted. Kodi isn't stuck at 1280x720 either on the MXQ.I've just bought one from Gearbest for £26 delivered from the UK.

Have you got a link for that one?
Never mind - found them on there. Not sure why they're all different prices though? Even the ones with the same spec have different prices.
It doesn't look like MKV are supported on them either. Well it's not listed on the site, I'm sure I've read it on other sites though?
Edited by: "Fellows" 22nd Jun 2015
Fellows

It doesn't look like MKV are supported on them either. Well it's not … It doesn't look like MKV are supported on them either. Well it's not listed on the site, I'm sure I've read it on other sites though?

MKV is supported by applications so sure.

Fellows

It doesn't look like MKV are supported on them either. Well it's not … It doesn't look like MKV are supported on them either. Well it's not listed on the site, I'm sure I've read it on other sites though?

It's running android, I can't even tell if you're serious...
rev6

MKV is supported by applications so sure.

Cheers.
Fellows

Never mind - found them on there. Not sure why they're all different … Never mind - found them on there. Not sure why they're all different prices though? Even the ones with the same spec have different prices.

OOS now from the UK.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants