Groups

Best antivirus

Ok tell me what is the the best antivirus software available.
    Marks to be given out of 10 (1 very poor - 10 best) and brief reason for your selections

Things to consider
    1) Ease of use
    2) Effect of processing speed - Should not slow down the computer
    3) Free or have to pay for
    4) Effectivness in cleaning viruses, malware and spyware.

15 Comments

Original Poster

Norton Antivirus - 4/10 - (really slows down the computer)
    Microsoft Security - 5/10 - (Free but not virus cleaning not very effective)
    AVG - 5/10 - (Non-user friendly, not very effective)
    ESET (Business edition) - 8/10 - (small, easy to user, good)
    Edited by: "BIKEFREEDOM" 10th Jan 2011

Avast 9
    ME (Don't know)
    Nod 32 (Don't know)
    The rest are pants.

I use a combination of products

1. Avast free version, 9/10, Good detection rate, Nice interface, Easy to use, Never had any problems with it plus it's good on resources.

2. Spybot, 9/10 Great for spyware and removing them.

3. Malwarebytes, 8/10 Great for removing malware, Scan occasionally.

I've tried most the leading products and always reverted back to avast, MSE is a good free alternative, Avoid AVG that's a resource hog and not as reliable as avast or a lot of other products.

ESET 10/10
    Kaspersky 8/10
    Avast 7/10
    MSE 7/10

Original Poster

It can be any antivirus, the 4 mentioned above are the ones i have had experience with.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

software !! best way not to get virus's is common sense

No one wants a virus, you get them.

Avast its free and very good 10/10

BIKEFREEDOM

Not true any more, Norton is now lean and mean.

BIKEFREEDOM

Microsoft Security - 5/10 - (Free but not virus cleaning not very … Microsoft Security - 5/10 - (Free but not virus cleaning not very effective)

Microsoft Security Essential 2 was released just before Xmas and has had very good reviews so far.

microsoft.com/sec…ls/

This is FREE, and looks for viruses AND malware / spyware.

Edited by: "guilbert53" 10th Jan 2011

BIKEFREEDOM

WRONG! this years old myth won't die. just like the one about regassing plasma TVs

Google AV-Comparatives

Banned

whatsThePoint

does it protect you from virus's that haven't been written yet?

why would it need to protect you from a virus that doesnt exist lol

Kaspersky 9/10
    Commodo 8/10
    Avast 7/10
    MSET 7/10
    AVG 0/10
    Edited by: "csiman" 11th Jan 2011

Banned

whatsThePoint

Because new virus's get written everyday and they are the ones that cause … Because new virus's get written everyday and they are the ones that cause the major worldwide problems because virus checkers don't detect themLOL at you thinking you only need cover from virus's that were written years ago

Try reading what you wrote fool & come back when you have a grasp of basic English lol

does it protect you from virus's that haven't been written yet?

Its impossible to be infected by something that hasn't been written yet. Even a complete imbecile can work that one out hence my comment "why would it need to protect you from a virus that doesnt exist" oO No mention of viruses written years ago either. What a plonker!

Edited by: "csiman" 11th Jan 2011

Banned

whatsThePoint

you install the virus checker today and the virus gets written tomorrow, … you install the virus checker today and the virus gets written tomorrow, the following day you get infected, do you really have trouble understanding that

I give up! you really dont understand the difference in tenses. One last go for the muppet:-

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET INFECTED BY A VIRUS THAT HASNT BEEN WRITTEN. TOMORROW IS THE FUTURE SO IT WILL HAVE BEEN WRITTEN.

Man up & grow a pair and admit you're wrong

What a complete idiot this moron is.

Banned

whatsThePoint

LOL don't you get angry when you fail to grasp somethingfirst sign of … LOL don't you get angry when you fail to grasp somethingfirst sign of losing an argument, switch to throwing insults instead as a diversionhope you have a nice day infected by new virus's that hadn't been written yesterday

noy angry - just despair at the level of some people's intelligence levels (e.g. yours). Nice that you now bring yesterday into your lost argument. Fail big time.

Anyway, back on topic; Kaspersky FTW.

You can't get any AV that will predict a "New Virus" will be arriving Tomorrow or whenever.What you get with all AV's is once a new Virus has been detected by the Company that owns the AV you are using will then send you a update to download & the update will have the First Aid nurse who will protect you or even try & delete the Virus if you have picked it up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?29130
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1422
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764196
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846160

See more discussions