Best antivirus protector 2019

Posted 4th Dec
Does anyone know the best way to protect a gaming laptop from virus and malware? Its going to be xmas present but want to download an AV ready for Xmas day and not find out its destroyed due to a virus especially when using for gaming. Someone said Malware but other site said its only 3/5 so I am totally confused. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
Bitdefender total security and malwarebytes both paid for versions IMHO.
Can you run two together? Wont they clash???
Wont that be expensive compared to one?
Guess I dont know much on AV, thanks
A win10 device? The integral MS product is more than adequate.
I run the free versions of Bitdefender and Malwarebytes . Not had any problems on Windows 10.
yorkie1204/12/2019 17:11

I run the free versions of Bitdefender and Malwarebytes . Not had any …I run the free versions of Bitdefender and Malwarebytes . Not had any problems on Windows 10.

I have just downloaded Malwarebytes but its only free for 14 days now.
googley204/12/2019 17:19

You've downloaded the trial version, uninstall then install free one

No they still do the free version , the 14 days is a free trial of the Pro version. Once your trial has finished you can revert to the free version.
i used avast but then someone said that windows defender is fine. i just use windows defender now. the avast slowed the machine down, especially on starting up. haven't been infected with any virus so far.

I have used Malwarebytes free for years & CC cleaner.
I am no expert but I thing they are both anti spyware not anti-virous.
Kaspersky
Justsuperman04/12/2019 18:16

Kaspersky

Kaspersky? Not if you want to access all the quality deals listed on HUKD.
If its a gaming pc the last thing you want to do is install a third party AV, windows defender that comes with windows is fine and doesn't slow things down.
AndyRoyd04/12/2019 16:51

Afraid its not adequate at all, just found 15 Malware files on my laptop - the laptop was always doing things I didnt want and freezing - thanks to the Malware Windows didnt stop.
4Real201604/12/2019 19:07

If its a gaming pc the last thing you want to do is install a third party …If its a gaming pc the last thing you want to do is install a third party AV, windows defender that comes with windows is fine and doesn't slow things down.

Wrong just found 15 malware files - its not fine and I had Kaspersky check it as well.
Justsuperman04/12/2019 18:16

Kaspersky

I have it some months ago and disappointed it didnt find the malware files that I have just discovered.
googley204/12/2019 19:18

Afraid its not adequate at all, just found 15 Malware files on my laptop - …Afraid its not adequate at all, just found 15 Malware files on my laptop - the laptop was always doing things I didnt want and freezing - thanks to the Malware Windows didnt stop.

You'd have to perform a reasonable number of controlled comparisons to be able to credibly substantiate that suggestion, but you are entirely free to make whatever valid or invalid assumption you wish prior to having supporting information available.
Kaspersky
Edited by: "Adam786123" 4th Dec
googley204/12/2019 19:19

Wrong just found 15 malware files - its not fine and I had Kaspersky check …Wrong just found 15 malware files - its not fine and I had Kaspersky check it as well.

Shame you didn't post a log.

Maybe if you go and educate yourself on how you get infected you might worry less, because I honestly can't be bothered to try and educate you myself
Edited by: "4Real2016" 4th Dec
This is slightly off topic, but if you get Norton 360 , it includes a VPN. Next time you're in WHSmiths look through a copy of computer active and there's a link which gives a discount( you'll have to take a pic) . currently £15 for a years worth of VPN/antivirus for 3 units or £25 for two years worth. The anti virus is exactly what you'd expect and there's other stuff thrown in. The VPN is actually ok . That's my halfpenny's worth :-)
Edited by: "ogeran" 4th Dec
AndyRoyd04/12/2019 16:51

NO. IT ISN'T.

When will people learn? Usually after their bank account has been emptied - just as a relative has had happen within the last 2 months. And what did the shop find on the PC? A keystroke logger. PC was W10 1903 build (and that update is catching a lot of PCs out by failing invisibly) fully patched.

Even after using proper protection, one of your easiest defenses is to set up a user account for everyday use without Admin privileges. And password protect the admin account with something useful such as 'am i really sure this is a good idea?' or 'do I really know why this prompt has appeared?'
Edited by: "ccnp" 4th Dec
googley204/12/2019 19:19

Wrong just found 15 malware files - its not fine and I had Kaspersky check …Wrong just found 15 malware files - its not fine and I had Kaspersky check it as well.

What software found them and what were they exactly?

A lot of the software has a rather paranoid definition of what constitutes malware and flags everything you might not want, and not just stuff which is deliberately designed to damage/steal/repurpose your machine.

So the likes of malware bytes will flag bits of data from your browser whose purpose is to tell whether you've seen an advert is not. They're entirely legitimate and part of the normal functioning of the web, they get flagged because they're technically a tracker - it tracks whether you've seen the ad or not.
ccnp04/12/2019 20:54

NO. IT ISN'T. When will people learn? Usually after their bank account …NO. IT ISN'T. When will people learn? Usually after their bank account has been emptied - just as a relative has had happen within the last 2 months. And what did the shop find on the PC? A keystroke logger. PC was W10 1903 build (and that update is catching a lot of PCs out by failing invisibly) fully patched.Even after using proper protection, one of your easiest defenses is to set up a user account for everyday use without Admin privileges. And password protect the admin account with something useful such as 'am i really sure this is a good idea?' or 'do I really know why this prompt has appeared?'

I, and many others, have zero requirement for your no doubt well-intentioned suggestion.
ccnp04/12/2019 20:54

NO. IT ISN'T. When will people learn? Usually after their bank account …NO. IT ISN'T. When will people learn? Usually after their bank account has been emptied - just as a relative has had happen within the last 2 months. And what did the shop find on the PC? A keystroke logger. PC was W10 1903 build (and that update is catching a lot of PCs out by failing invisibly) fully patched.Even after using proper protection, one of your easiest defenses is to set up a user account for everyday use without Admin privileges. And password protect the admin account with something useful such as 'am i really sure this is a good idea?' or 'do I really know why this prompt has appeared?'

You know you have to install viruses, they don't just appear on your pc by magic, unless it's a worm, in other words they actively installed the key logger at some point.

You shouldn't type passwords/usernames anyway especially for banking, put them on an encrypted USB drive then copy and paste them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions