Best app to record treadmill runs?

Posted 31st Dec 2019
I’ve got really in to running on a treadmill and this year i have run roughly 20km a week at the gym but haven’t tracked it in any way. I don’t really want to get any sort of sports watch as I already have a traditional watch that I don’t want to demote to a drawer. I was thinking a running armband for my phone and an app that records the treadmill run. Can anybody recommend one? I thought the new year would be a good time to start recording them. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
You really need a heart rate monitor, if you don’t want a watch then get a chest strap monitor. That’s always the best way of tracking distances, calories burned etc
danielbaillie199531/12/2019 20:49

You really need a heart rate monitor, if you don’t want a watch then get a …You really need a heart rate monitor, if you don’t want a watch then get a chest strap monitor. That’s always the best way of tracking distances, calories burned etc

If the device (chest monitor, or a watch, or any kind of device not connected to the treadmill) is using geolocation tracking how will it be able to track the distance the wearer has travelled? The user won't have moved a considerable distance; the treadmill will be in the same location throughout the exercise period.

However, yes, I agree with you that a chest-based monitor is more accurate for heart rate activity than a device on the wrist.

I have used the MYZONE® MZ-3 Physical Activity Belt for the last four years.
I just use my Iphone as the health app records what I need.
Not proffesional way of doing it but at least I have a record and its not far from the data the treadmill shows.
fanpages31/12/2019 20:59

If the device (chest monitor, or a watch, or any kind of device not …If the device (chest monitor, or a watch, or any kind of device not connected to the treadmill) is using geolocation tracking how will it be able to track the distance the wearer has travelled? The user won't have moved a considerable distance; the treadmill will be in the same location throughout the exercise period.However, yes, I agree with you that a chest-based monitor is more accurate for heart rate activity than a device on the wrist.I have used the MYZONE® MZ-3 Physical Activity Belt for the last four years.

Well if the device is connected to a phone it will show distance and calories based on heart rate (once set up height, weight etc), my Apple Watch gives fairly accurate results
If it’s a treadmill in a gym, it might even have its own app. My gym uses Life Fitness equipment. When I use their app I can record all activity by scanning a AR code to login or store afterwards.
You can also use it manually.

MyFitnessPal is an option too.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 1st Jan
I would just get a Garmin to be honest

You really need a heart rate monitor, if you don’t want a watch then get a …You really need a heart rate monitor, if you don’t want a watch then get a chest strap monitor. That’s always the best way of tracking distances, calories burned etc

If the device (chest monitor, or a watch, or any kind of device not …If the device (chest monitor, or a watch, or any kind of device not connected to the treadmill) is using geolocation tracking how will it be able to track the distance the wearer has travelled? The user won't have moved a considerable distance; the treadmill will be in the same location throughout the exercise period.However, yes, I agree with you that a chest-based monitor is more accurate for heart rate activity than a device on the wrist.I have used the MYZONE® MZ-3 Physical Activity Belt for the last four years.

danielbaillie199501/01/2020 08:16

Well if the device is connected to a phone it will show distance and …Well if the device is connected to a phone it will show distance and calories based on heart rate (once set up height, weight etc), my Apple Watch gives fairly accurate results

All caloric expenditure is an estimation (based on generally accepted, though imperfect, physiology principles) & will never be truly accurate no matter how much you spend on a personal training device.

A user's heart rate does not determine the distance they have travelled.
You are clearly here for a debate however I am not, I have used my Apple Watch for running both outdoors and treadmill (same amount of time and roughly the same pace) and from my own experience the distance covered was very similar
Thanks everyone I’ve bought a Fitbit that is a small band rather than a watch.

fanpages01/01/2020 13:00

All caloric expenditure is an estimation (based on generally accepted, …All caloric expenditure is an estimation (based on generally accepted, though imperfect, physiology principles) & will never be truly accurate no matter how much you spend on a personal training device.A user's heart rate does not determine the distance they have travelled.

danielbaillie199501/01/2020 13:33

You are clearly here for a debate however I am not, I have used my Apple …You are clearly here for a debate however I am not, I have used my Apple Watch for running both outdoors and treadmill (same amount of time and roughly the same pace) and from my own experience the distance covered was very similar

I am here to learn how your heart rate indicates the distance you are travelling.

Somebody can be sat watching TV at 60% of their maximum heart rate, or walking for a mile at the same measurement.

If you are using an Apple Watch (although you said "phone" above), then there are other factors involved; not just the beats per minute of the device user's heart.
fanpages01/01/2020 17:34

I am here to learn how your heart rate indicates the distance you are …I am here to learn how your heart rate indicates the distance you are travelling.Somebody can be sat watching TV at 60% of their maximum heart rate, or walking for a mile at the same measurement.If you are using an Apple Watch (although you said "phone" above), then there are other factors involved; not just the beats per minute of the device user's heart.

I’m not a technician for apple so I cannot say full details but when I got my Apple Watch it told me to calibrate it by walking outdoors and then the more you use it the more it understands your steps and resting heart rate etc. Every individual is different but I have had progress in weight change by using my Apple Watch calorie tracking along with calorie counting my intake. So like I said I recommend still getting a watch or chest strap that’s all
danielbaillie199501/01/2020 17:51

I’m not a technician for apple so I cannot say full details but when I got …I’m not a technician for apple so I cannot say full details but when I got my Apple Watch it told me to calibrate it by walking outdoors and then the more you use it the more it understands your steps and resting heart rate etc. Every individual is different but I have had progress in weight change by using my Apple Watch calorie tracking along with calorie counting my intake. So like I said I recommend still getting a watch or chest strap that’s all

OK, that's fine. I understand what it is doing now you have explained the calibration aspect. Thank you.

Sorry if you felt I was being critical of you; I was just concerned that the advice was not accurate & simply using an "app" on a 'phone that measured heart rate was going to be able to provide the additional statistics without other factors having an influence.
fanpages01/01/2020 18:15

OK, that's fine. I understand what it is doing now you have explained the …OK, that's fine. I understand what it is doing now you have explained the calibration aspect. Thank you.Sorry if you felt I was being critical of you; I was just concerned that the advice was not accurate & simply using an "app" on a 'phone that measured heart rate was going to be able to provide the additional statistics without other factors having an influence.

No worries here I get that phone alone won’t do much
pen and paper
"Best running apps 2020: ultimate tracking tech"

[ shortlist.com/lis…493 ]

Look what is ranked at the top

...I have used the MYZONE® MZ-3 Physical Activity Belt for the last four …...I have used the MYZONE® MZ-3 Physical Activity Belt for the last four years.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions