Groups

Best backup software to copy HDD contents from one to another?

Could you all please tell me what you think is the best HDD backup software and provide me with your personal/professional reason for this so that I can make a better choice.

Thank you!

17 Comments

Just noticed this free program on Givaway of the Day

giveawayoftheday.com/mul…63/

Seems to do what you want.

Original Poster

Thank you, what is your reason for this being your preferred software?

Sheepdisease;4137143

Thank you, what is your reason for this being your preferred software?

Sorry. I have not used it or any other full disc backup program. Just though it might be worth your while looking into.

I only use Back2Zip for backing up my ducuments. It works without any bother. I don't know if it would work the way you want.

i've always used ghost, never had a problem with it.

Original Poster

Thank you both, what does everyone else think?

Acronis True Image is brilliant, very easy to use & lots of options.

I use Ghost and have for years. But my old version does not support Vista.

Seems Acronis True Image is the latest "top" product to get, and PC Pro magazine has had it on their A list (top products) for ages.

bargainaholic;4137432

Acronis True Image is brilliant, very easy to use & lots of options.

+1! much better that ghost when dealing with NTFS partions

Original Poster

Three people concur so far, interesting!

All Norton products entangle themselves in the Registry & are difficult to remove completely.
    Google 'removing norton' for the frustrations of doing this. I've had this experience & NEVER will use any Norton product EVER again.
    Acronis is simple & easy to use, believe me, I use it to back up 4 pc's to one external USB drive.

Original Poster

Thanks for giving me such a clear picture of the best choice!

I've got Acronis Disk Director installed, what's the difference?

guilbert53;4137548

I use Ghost and have for years. But my old version does not support … I use Ghost and have for years. But my old version does not support Vista.Seems Acronis True Image is the latest "top" product to get, and PC Pro magazine has had it on their A list (top products) for ages.

Their software does get good reviews. However, their support, even the paid for enterprise level stuff, is terrible. Slow isn't the word, icebergs move quicker and if they do finally respond they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

For that reason alone, and given the importance of what the software does (you need to be sure of your backups and that if you do have a problem that you can rely on good support...otherwise what's the point), I'd give any Acronis software a wide berth.

Original Poster

I'm still slightly confused though, I need a side-by-side comparison between the features of both.

Essentialy - if it's not clear or to the non technical
    Director is for disk management - repairing disk errors , adjusting the size of the divisions(partitions) on a drive, recovering faults on these.
    True Image is for Backing Up the disk to another place.
    P.S. PCPro "A" list is a well respected resource for the best equipment/software hence True Image is what you require.

The commercial might of such as Nortons does not always give the best product. Much of the IT world would agree with this comment.

PEC2;4137992

All Norton products entangle themselves in the Registry & are difficult … All Norton products entangle themselves in the Registry & are difficult to remove completely.Google 'removing norton' for the frustrations of doing this. I've had this experience & NEVER will use any Norton product EVER again.Acronis is simple & easy to use, believe me, I use it to back up 4 pc's to one external USB drive.

i have ghost on a memory stick and simly by booting a pc from the stick i can mirror its drive completely. no installing and nothing to leave in the registry. its O/S independent and supports IDE or SATA.

Original Poster

I've now installed Acronis True Image Home, thank you all!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions