Groups

Best bike for a budget of 500 pounds?

I am going to be cycling to my new sixth college for two years everyday there and back. it takes about 25 minutes each way. I will be occasionally travelling on anything apart from road, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting a hybrid bike just in case I do more off-loading than I expect which will be minimal . I don't intend to be cycling off-road, but I'm sure I might do a bit in the future but not a lot. Bear in mind, this would be potentially my first road/hybrid bike. I got a mountain bike before. It would be really kind if you could help suggest the best bikes for my needs. thank you

8 Comments

£239 invest in a better seat and stick some lights on it.. a decent priced bike.

I had the 2015 version of this and it would be fine for commuting and light off-road

evanscycles.com/spe…807

Original Poster

thanks for ASTONEDRAICHU and Sandy1012 for taking the time to research, but I'm looking at a road bike. I'm sure those bikes r good mountain bikes though

Banned

Get a cheap moped instead.

Make sure you spend good money on a chain and lock if your spending that kind of money. Normally adviced you spend 10% to 20% on security so £50 to £100.

I second tallpete33's comment and would go for the Specialized Sirrus Sport. I've had mine since 2008 and it's never let me down - although I look after it pretty well. Even better if your work run the Cycle to Work Scheme as you could potentially get 32% off the sale price.

I use the Ass Saver Extended as my rear mudguard: wiggle.co.uk/ass…ed/
    I also use these lights, which are rechargeable and very bright: amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Best of luck!

joedastudd

Make sure you spend good money on a chain and lock if your spending that … Make sure you spend good money on a chain and lock if your spending that kind of money. Normally adviced you spend 10% to 20% on security so £50 to £100.

To add to the 'bits and bobs' list, a rear rack and a set of paniers are really useful if your course will be needing you to carry around large books, lots of folders etc.

In terms of a bike, I would suggest visiting your local bike store and asking them. It's worth trying a few different styles out to see what you like riding.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944487
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767269
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047112
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32452

See more discussions