Best boiler cover

Found 8th Mar
Hi there,

looking for boiler cover, can anyone suggest any good companies that are reasonably priced? Would be much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I use a local Worcester Bosch agent on call out and they are excellent. But then that's why I have WB. Very little goes wrong. Just the annual service to do. It's the thermostats etc that go.

I will never ever have anything to do with British Gas again. Someone turns up just like it says in the ad. But it's like being seen by the Nurse 'Receptionist' A&E so they can tick a box. Never any spare parts and often as not, they've subbed the job out to the cheapest plumber they can contract who can just about recognise a boiler and definitely knows the On/Off switch so a real plumber can come on the second visit, days later.

And then there was the scam they pulled on my aged mother. The guy looked at the old fashioned fuse box and told her she wouldn't be allowed it now. Not a lie. Just enough to scare an old lady into paying a fortune to have it swapped out. An utter @*%$££££, probably on an incentive. It was years ago but that kind of deception never leaves you feeling good about a firm.
Your rant doesn't really help the OP
Exposing how British Gas actually works is a rant? Oh dear.
ccnp33 m ago

I use a local Worcester Bosch agent on call out and they are excellent. …I use a local Worcester Bosch agent on call out and they are excellent. But then that's why I have WB. Very little goes wrong. Just the annual service to do. It's the thermostats etc that go.I will never ever have anything to do with British Gas again. Someone turns up just like it says in the ad. But it's like being seen by the Nurse 'Receptionist' A&E so they can tick a box. Never any spare parts and often as not, they've subbed the job out to the cheapest plumber they can contract who can just about recognise a boiler and definitely knows the On/Off switch so a real plumber can come on the second visit, days later. And then there was the scam they pulled on my aged mother. The guy looked at the old fashioned fuse box and told her she wouldn't be allowed it now. Not a lie. Just enough to scare an old lady into paying a fortune to have it swapped out. An utter @*%$££££, probably on an incentive. It was years ago but that kind of deception never leaves you feeling good about a firm.

i have found british gas to be very good as they always fix the boiler, no matter how old it is or how many times it breaks down. i had a vaillant boiler that kept breaking down and it must have cost british gas an arm and a leg to keep on repairing it including buying new parts for it. they eventually gave up when it became dangerous.

they have improved over the years and they are a lot more reliable than they used to be. i have no experience of them subcontracting the job. always british gas, but it may be that you are located in a remote area where it may be cheaper for them to subcontract the job. they don't always get parts quickly but i think it depends on the urgency and i find the waiting time tolerable.
Check your home insurance, some have additional cover included for boilers, pipes each has its own name something like home emergency cover. Esure has offered it free for a few years, yours might as well.
British Gas are reliable and high quality in my experience over the past 10 years.
British Gas was great for us .
Boiler sounded a little dodgy !
They gave it a clean bill of health and service (10 years old ! )
1 month later a major part kicked it .
Fixed the next day with new part which would of cost me £350 for part and labour .
Then 3 months after that the full ignition system packed in and the replaced that which would of cost £280 .
So I stopped paying after that and said next time something goes it’s a new boiler .
That was 4 years ago and it’s still going strong 14 years old ! Touch wood ( famous last words )
So BG saved me over £600 . I would recommend.
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 8th Mar
Another championing British Gas Homecare here.
Sure non of you work for BG directly or indirectly?

BG most definitely do not always fix a boiler '.... no matter how old it is or how many times it breaks down.' Utter tosh. Most of my neighbours had the same boiler fitted by the builder and BG very quickly refused to renew annual contracts in our post code.
ccnp1 h, 28 m ago

Sure non of you work for BG directly or indirectly?BG most definitely do …Sure non of you work for BG directly or indirectly?BG most definitely do not always fix a boiler '.... no matter how old it is or how many times it breaks down.' Utter tosh. Most of my neighbours had the same boiler fitted by the builder and BG very quickly refused to renew annual contracts in our post code.

We own several properties and they are all covered under british gas. I am quoting from my own personal experience and they have repaired very old boilers that we have owned. Sometimes i think they will refuse to insure or to repair as the boiler is ridiculously old, but they havent refused to do so.

i dont work for british gas and neither does my husband. I appreciate your experience of british gas may be different, but my personal experience of them has been good.
Our Ferroli boiler packed up one night, I phoned BG at 01:00 and they came out at 08:00 it was fixed by 09:00, We have since had a new Worcester Boshe boiler that has a 5 year warranty thats due to end next year so we will definitely be returning to BG for our cover.
For the price of British Gas cover you can just self insure and buy a new boiler every ten years with warranty (Worcester don't have enough faith in their products to offer this).

New boiler swap £1500 + 9 services at £50/year = £1950.

British gas homecare £240/year for ten years including an annual wave of the flue analyser in flue = £2400.

Ignores any savings on your gas bill, and still £450 contingency for any problems with the rest of your system.You will then also have a 'relationship' with a local plumber you can trust for other jobs.
themorgatron1 h, 36 m ago

For the price of British Gas cover you can just self insure and buy a new …For the price of British Gas cover you can just self insure and buy a new boiler every ten years with warranty (Worcester don't have enough faith in their products to offer this). New boiler swap £1500 + 9 services at £50/year = £1950.British gas homecare £240/year for ten years including an annual wave of the flue analyser in flue = £2400.Ignores any savings on your gas bill, and still £450 contingency for any problems with the rest of your system.You will then also have a 'relationship' with a local plumber you can trust for other jobs.

don't forget theres a £60 excess for any repairs with BG as well.
Original Poster
I'm in two minds with British Gas at the moment. Anyone have any experience with homeserve?
paulj483 h, 4 m ago

don't forget theres a £60 excess for any repairs with BG as well.

only if you choose that option. there is the option of no excess, which is the one i have gone for.
needmoresleep3 h, 2 m ago

I'm in two minds with British Gas at the moment. Anyone have any …I'm in two minds with British Gas at the moment. Anyone have any experience with homeserve?

discussion here. seems decent, although i have no experience of them myself.

hotukdeals.com/dis…933

edit - sorry, just realised the discussion is in connection with plumbing cover and not boiler.
Edited by: "mutley1" 9th Mar
mutley11 h, 24 m ago

only if you choose that option. there is the option of no excess, which …only if you choose that option. there is the option of no excess, which is the one i have gone for.

The £12 a month one that I quoted and the one that someone used as a 10 year example has got a £60 excess.

Just as a matter of interest home much a month do you pay?
paulj481 h, 17 m ago

The £12 a month one that I quoted and the one that someone used as a 10 …The £12 a month one that I quoted and the one that someone used as a 10 year example has got a £60 excess.Just as a matter of interest home much a month do you pay?

i always choose the no excess as although it costs more, i know that there is no further cost irrespective of how many repairs. the boiler can fail more than once a year, or needs re-pressurising. british gas is not the cheapest but i choose to go with them for their reliability and honesty. my husband did employ a gas safe engineer to maintain all the boilers for an annual fee, but we found that he did not service the boiler properly and would recommend new boilers when the old boiler did not need replacing so he could earn more money replacing the boiler.

i don't actually know how much i am paying british gas for each property as they are all different but it can vary between £300 to £500 a year as some properties also have plumbing and drains cover, whereas some do not.
We use bg only because I used to travel and they have a lot of engineers. Had no issues was able to talk them into discount too as we had a newish boiler
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants