Best browser for Windows 10?

Posted 17th Oct
I've been one to stick with Microsoft Edge both my gaming rig and my laptop, but it's come to a point now where Edge is really doing my head in...

What's everyone's opinion on the best browser? I used to use Chrome, which was ace, until everyone realised that it was munching into their RAM... a lot...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Firefox i use
I use chrome, find it good, as for eating into ram when your browsing your not doing anything else like gaming so makes no difference...
Chrome for me. Especially as I cast quite a bit to my chromecast also.
Not a good time at the moment for web browsers, but Vivaldi is probably the best of what's available.
None of them are perfect, FireFox, IE & Chrome in that order
They are all not that great. Chrome and Edge are the best two out there IMO. Firefox is third but I find the Firefox UI quite outdated.
Chrome and edge is going over to using the chrome engine anyway
Brave seems popular nowadays due to them blocking ads and tracking which will never really be in Google's interest.

brave.com/
qwales17/10/2019 16:02

None of them are perfect, FireFox, IE & Chrome in that order

IE aka dinosaur explorer is EoL and has been replaced by edge.

Firefox has a really naff UI which on new machines makes it look like your running windows 3.1.

Chrome and edge are the nicest looking functional browsers.
I've been using Opera for years now. In built ad blocker. Firefox always ran too slow and chrome was buggy on so many sites. Chrome always needed too many extensions to run ad/pop up blocker etc.
Epic Privacy Browser. Familiar Chrome interface but with integrated selectable multi-location VPN, integrated adblocker and ruthless in striving for personal privacy. Not to be used for purchases expecting cashback! Also available in (unofficial) portable version if you look hard enough and portability floats your boat. epicbrowser.com/
Guess it shows by the responses that no one browser is 'best'. Probably need to try the different ones and see which one suits you best.
Edge is awful. Been using Firefox for years but it's such a resource hog so switched to Brave browser yesterday. It's far quicker and uses far less cpu / ram. Great for privacy too.

brave.com/fea…es/
Edited by: "chocci" 17th Oct
Mozilla and brave forget the rest...especially Google Chrome and Microsoft browser they are only interested in 1 thing YOUR DATA and selling it.
whatever is default lol
Adam78612317/10/2019 19:48

Mozilla and brave forget the rest...especially Google Chrome and Microsoft …Mozilla and brave forget the rest...especially Google Chrome and Microsoft browser they are only interested in 1 thing YOUR DATA and selling it.

In that case bin Mozilla and Brave and go Epic.
I find chrome has its bad moments. I thereafter use Mozilla and opera. I order them over chrome
AndyRoyd17/10/2019 20:46

In that case bin Mozilla and Brave and go Epic.

Why....would anyone go with an Indian focused browser...go with mozilla and brave that's epic.
Edited by: "Adam786123" 17th Oct
Adam78612317/10/2019 21:15

Why....would anyone go with an Indian focused browser...go with mozilla …Why....would anyone go with an Indian focused browser...go with mozilla and brave that's epic.

because it is acknowledged that the privacy aspects of Epic are far superior to others for protecting (quote) "YOUR DATA", plus other integral features that are only available as add-ons via other browsers. Use whatever browser floats your boat; there is no right or wrong answer to OPs Q, but there are more privacy-orientated browsers than Mozilla and Brave.
If you like EDGE why not try one of the Insider builds?
Based on Chromium so you can have extensions if you want them from the Chrome Store.

microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-…ad/
AndyRoyd17/10/2019 21:26

because it is acknowledged that the privacy aspects of Epic are far …because it is acknowledged that the privacy aspects of Epic are far superior to others for protecting (quote) "YOUR DATA", plus other integral features that are only available as add-ons via other browsers. Use whatever browser floats your boat; there is no right or wrong answer to OPs Q, but there are more privacy-orientated browsers than Mozilla and Brave.

Is epic browser opensource if not why not ask yourself the question why is no one able to examine the source code....you are right there are other good privacy focused browser around much much better than epic browser....
Edited by: "Adam786123" 17th Oct
I use WaterFox.
But I would love to use Netscape , if I could. I miss the colourful comets in the N logo.
I just did a test using firefox, brave and chrome opening 17 tabs in one go and timed how long it took to load them all

firefox - 70 seconds / 1.5GB of memory!

chrome - 48 seconds / 650MB of memory

brave - 28 seconds / 380MB of memory

long term user of firefox but now brave all the way
I use Opera or Chrome
I did some tests of a selection of browsers a year or two back on a puny netbook (which shouldn't really be running Windows 10) and found Slimjet ran best.
chocci18/10/2019 11:08

I just did a test using firefox, brave and chrome opening 17 tabs in one …I just did a test using firefox, brave and chrome opening 17 tabs in one go and timed how long it took to load them allfirefox - 70 seconds / 1.5GB of memory!chrome - 48 seconds / 650MB of memorybrave - 28 seconds / 380MB of memorylong term user of firefox but now brave all the way

Just installed and tried slimjet and just did a test using firefox, brave, slimjet and chrome opening 17 tabs in one go and timed how long it took to load them all

firefox - 70 seconds / 1.5GB of memory!

chrome - 48 seconds / 650MB of memory

brave - 28 seconds / 380MB of memory

slimjet - 238 seconds / 880MB of memory
Fair enough. I didn't do any formal timing measurements on my testing on Slimjet. Given the spec of the notebook I was using I was basing my choice on the speed of the browser startup and loading just one page; that was bottleneck enough I like that Slimjet has a built-in ad blocker (like Brave) so I've continued to use it on my desktop which is an old i5 with 8GB RAM; a very modest machine but not run into any browser induced RAM issues as yet (touch wood). Obviously the 1.5GB that Firefox uses for opening 17 tabs is high compared to the others but given we're talking 17 tabs and the memory of an average spec'ed PC these days is that really a concern (genuinely asking). I'd think my worry would if a browser gobbled up memory and didn't release it properly when appropriate. Hopefully that's not a charge that's been levied against Chrome? Given your finding on Firefox (which many are happy with) vs Chrome does that suggest that the misgivings the OP has received about Chrome's use of RAM are misguided?
chrisjackson19/10/2019 15:29

Fair enough. I didn't do any formal timing measurements on my … Fair enough. I didn't do any formal timing measurements on my testing on Slimjet. Given the spec of the notebook I was using I was basing my choice on the speed of the browser startup and loading just one page; that was bottleneck enough I like that Slimjet has a built-in ad blocker (like Brave) so I've continued to use it on my desktop which is an old i5 with 8GB RAM; a very modest machine but not run into any browser induced RAM issues as yet (touch wood). Obviously the 1.5GB that Firefox uses for opening 17 tabs is high compared to the others but given we're talking 17 tabs and the memory of an average spec'ed PC these days is that really a concern (genuinely asking). I'd think my worry would if a browser gobbled up memory and didn't release it properly when appropriate. Hopefully that's not a charge that's been levied against Chrome? Given your finding on Firefox (which many are happy with) vs Chrome does that suggest that the misgivings the OP has received about Chrome's use of RAM are misguided?

Ram is a concern on my 8 year old pc (4gb).everything still runs perfectly fine though so never felt the need to replace.

Firefox takes ages to clear ram when closed. Chrome is pretty slow too. Brave is nearly instant. Going to install the great suspender extension as that clears tab memory automatically, even when they're still open.
Edited by: "chocci" 19th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants