Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Best 'budget' 3D printer?

Posted 5th Apr
Hi,

I have been looking at getting a budget 3D printer. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to 3D printers and trying to learn. I have looked at Longer Cube 2, Steadytech Mini, Geeetech E180, MP Select mini, AnyCubic I3 Mega and Ender 3. I can't make my mind up. I know these are quite different in terms of size etc, I wouldnt mind something smaller, but of course bigger gives more flexibility.

Looking for something to make some cheap parts, low running costs, but good quality prints.

Has anyone got any of these 3D printers or would recommend any others?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
The creality Ender 3 and the Pro seem to be the printers of choice. I’ve seen prices from £130-£165 depending on model. Two of my work mates have them and the quality that they can produce is incredible.
40306651-8ofFv.jpg
40306651-Kw6Bp.jpg
DRRP05/04/2020 13:01

[Image] [Image]

Print quality looks great!
Yeah I was impressed by it. I believe the open source software also has pre defined settings for the printer, so once you build up the printer itself a the software side is fairly straight forward. It’s Cura that I’ve used in the past but there are loads of other options.

There are loads of great YouTube videos that talk you through the building/configuration as well.
DRRP05/04/2020 13:27

Yeah I was impressed by it. I believe the open source software also has …Yeah I was impressed by it. I believe the open source software also has pre defined settings for the printer, so once you build up the printer itself a the software side is fairly straight forward. It’s Cura that I’ve used in the past but there are loads of other options.There are loads of great YouTube videos that talk you through the building/configuration as well.

Where do you get your filament from? I just unboxed my HUKD Flashforge finder from a deal last year. it only came with 600g and we are getting through it quite swiftly.
If it’s PLA 1.75mm your best bet is to go through amazon and have a look at their stock. Once you find a colour you like look at the reviews. Normally once someone has found a good filament they will let others know about it. The metallic blue filament in the pictures about was bought from amazon. I think we used SUNLU in the past, with good results.
The Ender 3 is the most popular budget printer out there. You'll also find it has the most community groups compared to the others you have listed. I'd deffo go for one of those!
I've been looking myself recently too. It seems the Ender 3 type is a popular choice and that's what I was looking at but then I went onto the 3d printing forums and it seems they don't talk too highly of them. A friend has a creality ender 3 and I was pretty impressed but I'm looking at spending a little more to get a few extra/better features. I'm currently looking at the sovol sv01 - it had a direct drive extruder, dual motors on the z axis and a 24v decent power supply. Looks like a good quality product. They're about £240 on aliexpress, despatched from Czech Republic and they come up on ebay occasionally.

The biggest drawback is there is not so much of a community as they're relatively new but apparently the Facebook group is good.

I'm not trying to pretend I'm very knowledgeable on them but this is what my thoughts are at the moment. I've been debating whether to order it for the last week so I'll be watching this thread with interest..
dirty_stan05/04/2020 22:52

I've been looking myself recently too. It seems the Ender 3 type is a …I've been looking myself recently too. It seems the Ender 3 type is a popular choice and that's what I was looking at but then I went onto the 3d printing forums and it seems they don't talk too highly of them. A friend has a creality ender 3 and I was pretty impressed but I'm looking at spending a little more to get a few extra/better features. I'm currently looking at the sovol sv01 - it had a direct drive extruder, dual motors on the z axis and a 24v decent power supply. Looks like a good quality product. They're about £240 on aliexpress, despatched from Czech Republic and they come up on ebay occasionally.The biggest drawback is there is not so much of a community as they're relatively new but apparently the Facebook group is good.I'm not trying to pretend I'm very knowledgeable on them but this is what my thoughts are at the moment. I've been debating whether to order it for the last week so I'll be watching this thread with interest..

Available on Amazon

Sovol SV01 3D Printer Direct Drive Extruder Glass Ultrabase Plate Filament End Detector 24V/350W Meanwell Power Supply Printing Size 240x280x300mm amazon.co.uk/dp/…5Z3
DouglasMelvin05/04/2020 22:58

Available on Amazon Sovol SV01 3D Printer Direct Drive Extruder Glass …Available on Amazon Sovol SV01 3D Printer Direct Drive Extruder Glass Ultrabase Plate Filament End Detector 24V/350W Meanwell Power Supply Printing Size 240x280x300mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TNP914D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OqLIEbFB7K5Z3

Yes, I'm undecided between £290 on amazon or £244 on aliexpress (and 5% topcashback). Or a different printer! It's a reasonable saving, aliexpress would deliver fairly quickly but of course amazon should be easier to deal with if there are any issues..

I've just noticed camelcamelcamel have stopped tracking for now so I can't even see if the price differs much.
dirty_stan05/04/2020 22:52

I've been looking myself recently too. It seems the Ender 3 type is a …I've been looking myself recently too. It seems the Ender 3 type is a popular choice and that's what I was looking at but then I went onto the 3d printing forums and it seems they don't talk too highly of them. A friend has a creality ender 3 and I was pretty impressed but I'm looking at spending a little more to get a few extra/better features. I'm currently looking at the sovol sv01 - it had a direct drive extruder, dual motors on the z axis and a 24v decent power supply. Looks like a good quality product. They're about £240 on aliexpress, despatched from Czech Republic and they come up on ebay occasionally.The biggest drawback is there is not so much of a community as they're relatively new but apparently the Facebook group is good.I'm not trying to pretend I'm very knowledgeable on them but this is what my thoughts are at the moment. I've been debating whether to order it for the last week so I'll be watching this thread with interest..

Exact same thoughts as me apart from I havent looked at the Sovol.
Kryptonitee05/04/2020 23:36

Exact same thoughts as me apart from I havent looked at the Sovol.

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Seems to be lots of printers out there.

Like you say, your first few considerations are smaller and the last 2 have larger beds/print area. You wouldn't want a big one gathering dust if you don't use it.. I'm after a bigger bed as I work in manufacturing, I use SolidWorks and I do CNC programming so I reckon I could put it to good use at work and at home. Looking at things a want to print as soon as I get it swayed me towards a larger bed, my fridge handle has broken and that would not print on the smaller models, or would be tight with a slightly different design.

The anycubic i3 mega looks nice though, you can get that for a good price, it looks like anycubic themselves sell on ebay for £169 delivered and you'll have it next weekend. It doesn't have the extras the Sovol has but how essential they are I don't know...

I reckon you'll be happy with any printer as a first printer though..! I really can't decide..
dirty_stan05/04/2020 23:57

Yeah, it's a tough choice. Seems to be lots of printers out there.Like you …Yeah, it's a tough choice. Seems to be lots of printers out there.Like you say, your first few considerations are smaller and the last 2 have larger beds/print area. You wouldn't want a big one gathering dust if you don't use it.. I'm after a bigger bed as I work in manufacturing, I use SolidWorks and I do CNC programming so I reckon I could put it to good use at work and at home. Looking at things a want to print as soon as I get it swayed me towards a larger bed, my fridge handle has broken and that would not print on the smaller models, or would be tight with a slightly different design.The anycubic i3 mega looks nice though, you can get that for a good price, it looks like anycubic themselves sell on ebay for £169 delivered and you'll have it next weekend. It doesn't have the extras the Sovol has but how essential they are I don't know... I reckon you'll be happy with any printer as a first printer though..! I really can't decide..

The AnyCubic I3 does look nice, however I saw on some YouTube videos apparently its prone to some issues, which seems to be the case for a lot of the printers ive seen.
Kryptonitee06/04/2020 09:55

The AnyCubic I3 does look nice, however I saw on some YouTube videos …The AnyCubic I3 does look nice, however I saw on some YouTube videos apparently its prone to some issues, which seems to be the case for a lot of the printers ive seen.

I find the same, you look into a printer and you'll always find a bad review on YouTube. I was swayed towards the Sovol by a couple of threads on a 3d printing forum where they were discussing the issues with the i3 design which most printers are designed around. The Sovol was suggested on there which started me looking into it. I find on YouTube you can type "(one printer) vs (another printer)" and there is often a comparison between the 2. I found this one was interesting, comparing the Ender 3 Pro against the Sovol:
. He doesn't criticise the Ender 3 Pro, he prefers the Sovol not as much as I was thinking he would.
Can anyone point me in the direction to find the best price for the Ender 3 Pro ?
Did you buy a 3d printer in the end? I got the sovol and I must say I'm very impressed, although I've not really got much to compare it to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions