Groups

best budget desktop gaming pc

Hi. I have been researching for the last few months on the best computer (top end budget of £850) in my price range. I want the computer to be for gaming as well as general computer browsing and Microsoft office (doesn't have to be included) etc. I am not looking to build my own computer. I was looking at this PC on ebuyer, ebuyer.com/752…280 is it good value for money or can anybody recommend a better computer within my budget? Thanks.

10 Comments

"is it good value for money"

Not really.

Better building your own put what you want in it.

Yeah, it's a decent machine for the price. Not an exceptional deal, but not particularly overpriced right now. (relative to other systems, given the brexit vote and the pre-christmas price hike everything's pretty expensive right now).

My experiences with Ebuyer have not been good; as long as it is fine, you are OK; but returns/refunds - even on kit that was DOA, can be a nightmare.

Original Poster

where would be a recommended place to buy one online? I have been looking on eBay as well as they have same specs in same price range but not sure where I'd stand if something went wrong?

Start with Amazon, but if there are any PC fairs still going in your area, they would be your best bet. You can go and talk to the guys, and they will help put together a bundle and build it for you on the spot, - even install the OS if you ask.

Sadly, the last one anywhere near here stopped this Spring.

On line, you could try Novatech, I have heard plenty of good things about them, and their cases are very good (I have one), but I wouldnt touch Ebay personally.

Why not build your own? The only tool needed is a No.2 Phillips screw driver, and once you know how everything goes together, you have the confidence to do your own upgrades and rebuilds.

I have been building my own since Win98 was the hot new release, and never failed to end up with a working PC that was faster and cheaper than anything family or friends bought.

Original Poster

thank you for all your help. there are so many on Amazon it gets confusing, I found this one on there amazon.co.uk/dp/…HE/ but seems too good to be true for the price. as for building my own, my brother keeps saying he will help me but he never gets the time and I would probably mess it up doing it myself so would be more confident buying a pre built one .
    Edited by moderator: "Oct 25, 2016 18:01" 25th Oct 2016

stardust2741

thank you for all your help. there are so many on Amazon it gets … thank you for all your help. there are so many on Amazon it gets confusing, I found this one on there https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DAC76HE/ but seems too good to be true for the price. as for building my own, my brother keeps saying he will help me but he never gets the time and I would probably mess it up doing it myself so would be more confident buying a pre built one .

Hey. I know you're worried about building your own, but dont be. What aspect of the build makes you unconfident?

There are so many videos on youtube and people on these forums, let alone countless others, that the chances of you messing up a build is very slim.

The Amazon link does seem too good to be true. The Mobo (£132), CPU (£220) and graphics card (£270) are coming out at £622 for those parts alone.

The total parts bill - just based on retail prices, comes to about £900 - £950, so it is a plausible price.

The Seagate 1TB drive is **** though, I wouldnt touch another Seagate after the last year; I had FIVE Seagate drives fail in less than 2 months; across three PCs and two sites.
    The 1TB drive was barely used, and still under warranty, but Seagate have never sent me a replacement, even after I went through the whole returns malarky process with them; so they are now on my "Lifetime ****-list", along with BT and British Gas.
    The only other drive I have had fail at less than 10 years old was a Hitachi (which I know for a fact was damaged by someone kicking the case HARD), Hitachi had a replacement drive sent out the same day they received the broken one; that was 7 years ago, and the drive is STILL in my main PC, albeit as 2nd back-up now.
    I still have a working 800MB Western Digital drive I took out of the first PC I built, back in 1998, for the last 10 years it has been used as the back-up drive in a pre-school computer used by 3-4 year olds to play basic games.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Car MOT45
      2. Amazon spend £20 and get £5 extra58
      3. DPD international?56
      4. What laptop?33

See more discussions