Found 28th Jan 2011
Hi All,

I am looking for a DSLR for my wife and wondered what the starting packages out there are. only want to pay around 250-350 if possible, so let me know if at that price you also think that it is not worth the upgrade from our normal camera. She has a very old SLR camera but has been on about going digital for years, so thought this would be a nice surprise for her! Any thoughts. Have seen this one posted on this site:

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…6cc

9 Comments

amazon.co.uk/dp/…743?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=****&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001TOD3YG

You can't go wrong with a canon in that price range

It doesn't have as many pixel's but I can assure you that it will have better pictures and reviews than a sony.

Original Poster

Cheers, that does seem pretty good, I like the extra armor casing you can get for it also! (she is more than just a little clumsy, especially when scrambling over rocks and the like for a good shot!!!)

Any of the three (canon, Sony and NIKON) entry will be much of a muchness. Just remember you're buying into that brand, lenses, filters, shutter releases etc will have to be compatible.

Iirc Sony's used to be able to tale older, non digital lenses, which might be a thought if she already has some. Could be wrong though

Original Poster

sancho1983

Any of the three (canon, Sony and NIKON) entry will be much of a … Any of the three (canon, Sony and NIKON) entry will be much of a muchness. Just remember you're buying into that brand, lenses, filters, shutter releases etc will have to be compatible.Iirc Sony's used to be able to tale older, non digital lenses, which might be a thought if she already has some. Could be wrong though

hmmm.. may be interesting to see (i think her last one was sony), i could take the lens into a shop and see if it fits!

Original Poster

can you put HCSD cards in all of these cameras? I have loads of them and dont really want to pay for sonys duo cards that cost a fortune.

dpreview.com should give you an idea

Original Poster

schizoboy

http://www.dpreview.com should give you an idea

looking soley at the spec (which i know is not always best) it would seem the sony is the better choice, especially given the image stabilisation which seems to be an important factor (reading other reviews).

just to add, i doubt we would use a tripod on a regular basis if at all, but she seems to have incredible skills at not shaking when photographing (unlike me!!!!!)

oh. and also noticed it may be a good camera to hook up to my new bravia set! (i am not a some sort of sony freak honestly!)

Edited by: "manc80" 28th Jan 2011

I Just bought Sony NEX 5 and it is brilliant and with the update you can take 3D pics aswell link to best price below

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…spx

Original Poster

C4Tentpeg

I Just bought Sony NEX 5 and it is brilliant and with the update you can … I Just bought Sony NEX 5 and it is brilliant and with the update you can take 3D pics aswell link to best price below http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000133018/sony-cybershot-nex-5-compact-system-camera-18-55mm.aspx

Seems to get some mixed reviews though. is it actually as good as a DSLR camera? I think the slr will be better in the long run somehow (no facts to base that on).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247671
    2. Netflix - UHD - £3/m33
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769609
    4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1115

See more discussions