Best budget iPhone alternative

Found 27th Mar
While I love the Apple OS, updates have repeatedly killed off the performance of my phones (3, 4s and 5s). I don't really fancy springing for another one that will face forced obsolescence in a couple of years (yeah, I know it's been more than a couple of years for the 5s).

I really only use my phone for calls, emails, music and web browsing so not really tied to Apple.

I've seen some good deals for Mi and Xoami (I think that's the name) phones. But what's a good device / price:

I really want something with vanilla android on it - not a custom OS.
Screen size doesn't really matter, but I don't want visible pixels on a larger screen so happy to pay to upgrade to 1080.

Appreciate any feedback / advice.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Xiaomi.. Any.. Which size screen?
wayners15 m ago

Xiaomi.. Any.. Which size screen?

Doesn't really matter. 4 or 5 inch I guess. I'd get by with either. If there's not much difference in price or battery life I'd go larger.
Yeah.. Some have big batteries. Plenty of threads here. Depends what you want to spend
Xiaomi Mi A1 if you want stock Android.
'forced obsolescence' - are you kidding me?! So you expect a 5 year old phone to work like butter on today's software? You don't know what you're talking about.
Could I just add, you are going to struggle to find a phone particularly a cheap chineese brand that will last even half as long as the 5s you are replacing.

if you want good quality and warranty you will have to pay for it, not singling xaiomi out but they are hardly a pillar of quality and customer service, there is pretty much no comeback if it does go faulty no warranty or returns. These are reasons why they are so cheap.
For your needs literally any phone will do. One of the motos maybe?

But I have to agree with the two above posters. 5 years isn’t planned obsolescence. Name one manufacturer who is still supporting a 5 year old phone?

No phone you buy outside of Apple will be receiving updates in 2/3 years never mind 5.
cossy34 h, 47 m ago

'forced obsolescence' - are you kidding me?! So you expect a 5 year old …'forced obsolescence' - are you kidding me?! So you expect a 5 year old phone to work like butter on today's software? You don't know what you're talking about.

Pretty sure I know what I mean, though I didn't explain it well. I love the support from Apple, but when you're prompted to install a new update constantly, finally install it and find the phone slows down dramatically AND you can't downgrade - I'd say that's forced. I should have stayed on the previous OS - totally my fault.

Thanks for the advice everyone who commented - I think I'm gonna go for the Xiaomi Mi A1.
Edited by: "luciferslux" 27th Mar
luciferslux3 h, 15 m ago

Pretty sure I know what I mean, though I didn't explain it well. I love …Pretty sure I know what I mean, though I didn't explain it well. I love the support from Apple, but when you're prompted to install a new update constantly, finally install it and find the phone slows down dramatically AND you can't downgrade - I'd say that's forced. I should have stayed on the previous OS - totally my fault.Thanks for the advice everyone who commented - I think I'm gonna go for the Xiaomi Mi A1.

I’ve just ordered the Mi A1. If you want to wait till it arrives I’ll be happy to let you know what it’s like compared to an iPhone. My current phone is an iPhone 8. Got the Mi to use as a media device.
Thank you. That’d be really helpful.
luciferslux4 h, 50 m ago

You have to quote the user otherwise how else are they going to know you replied to them - unless they happen to check back on this post...
luciferslux6 h, 13 m ago

No worries. Will let you know how it is once it ar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants