Best budget motherboard for Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q6600

Found 21st Jul 2012
My motherboard has started playing up sticking on the Intel logo when booting up.

Don't want to spend much replacing the MoBo as its going to bcome a server for Media etc so whats the best budget replacement ?

Thanks for any advice......

btw the best iIcan find via Google is amazon.co.uk/MSI…1-1
Community Updates
21 Comments
Is it a DDR3 775 M/B you're after?

Edited by: "Discente" 21st Jul 2012
You'd be better off selling the chip and replacing it with a G620 + motherboard + 4GB DDR3 RAM. You'll be able to get about £70 for the CPU and whatever RAM you have right now, so it works out roughly the same in terms of cost, and the big advantage will be that you'll have a far, far more energy efficient system. In real terms, it'll probably knock about £15 a month off your power bill.
Boogie83e

Is it a DDR3 775 M/B you're after?

The Q6600 only supports DDR2

All I want is a cheap motherboard to replace the one I have as I have an i5 laptop anyway.
rpope

The Q6600 only supports DDR2.

huh? what are you talking about?
rpope

The Q6600 only supports DDR2All I want is a cheap motherboard to replace … The Q6600 only supports DDR2All I want is a cheap motherboard to replace the one I have as I have an i5 laptop anyway.

Do you pay for your own electricity bills?
kunyk

He's doesnt know what hes talking about, processors don't support RAM (to a certain extent) motherboards do and Get a G41M-Combo, supports both DDR2 + DDR3 (though not at the same time) not great for OC's though, they can only put out a maximum of 333 FSB meaning you can only OC up to 3.0Ghz. There are tricks to getting it higher such as increasing the PCI-Express rate (by very tiny amounts obiously) or by disabling things like the onboard audio if you have a PCI or external soundcard - you are looking at 3.2Ghz maximum though.

They can be had for around £40

ebuyer.com/231…mbo

+

G620 CPU Passmark -2484
Q6600 CPU Passmark -2972

Thats at stock. Let's not forget the Q6600 is a beast of an overclocker.

The energy consumption figures someone gave up there are quite frankly **** - It's only substantially cheaper and unless you are paying some really ridiculous rate there's no way it will save £15 a month.

Anyone who downgrades from a quadcore cpu like the Q6600 to the dualcore G620 is retarded.

When I switch off my stock Q6600/P35/4GB DDR2/AMD 6780 1GB DDR5...I save £5.79 a month.
Boogie83e

When I switch off my stock Q6600/P35/4GB DDR2/AMD 6780 1GB DDR5...I save … When I switch off my stock Q6600/P35/4GB DDR2/AMD 6780 1GB DDR5...I save £5.79 a month.

That figure is more reasonable though
spookidoodles

He's doesnt know what hes talking about, processors don't support RAM (to … He's doesnt know what hes talking about, processors don't support RAM (to a certain extent) motherboards do and Get a G41M-Combo, supports both DDR2 + DDR3 (though not at the same time) not great for OC's though, they can only put out a maximum of 333 FSB meaning you can only OC up to 3.0Ghz. There are tricks to getting it higher such as increasing the PCI-Express rate (by very tiny amounts obiously) or by disabling things like the onboard audio if you have a PCI or external soundcard - you are looking at 3.2Ghz maximum though.They can be had for around £40 http://www.ebuyer.com/231358-gigabyte-ga-g41m-combo-socket-775-vga-6-channel-audio-matx-motherboard-ga-g41m-combo+ G620 CPU Passmark -2484Q6600 CPU Passmark -2972Thats at stock. Let's not forget the Q6600 is a beast of an overclocker.The energy consumption figures someone gave up there are quite frankly **** - It's only substantially cheaper and unless you are paying some really ridiculous rate there's no way it will save £15 a month.Anyone who downgrades from a quadcore cpu like the Q6600 to the dualcore G620 is retarded.

Oh, I remember you from the Maplin weather station thread. I think the problem with you is that you're an infant. You've experienced what you've experienced of the world, and from your limited experiences of it, you've decided that you know everything about it, and are incapable of seeing things in a different way.

In this instance, passmark means absolutely nothing. With a media server, you're not running anything on the server, you're just streaming data from it. This requires very, very little CPU power, and thus, it's pointless to have an overclocked quad-core Q6600 in there. Your priorities in a file server aren't CPU speed, they're energy efficiency, stability, reliability, low heat production, and quietness. You can run an overclocked Q6600 in a file server if you like, but it's going to use a lot of energy, it's going to crash more often, it's going to make more noise, and the extra heat generated in conjunction with the inflated load on the PSU is only going to encourage hardware failure.

Can you think of any relevant advantages an overclocked Q6600 would have in a simple file server?
I have to agree on that. G620 is a better option for intended use.
kunyk

The Q6600 doesn't have built in DDR3 support, it requires the mobo to supply the support.

Had a look round and can't see g620 plus mobo plus 4 gig ram for anywhere near the £70 quoted above.

The pc will not be on 24/7 only when needed so no point replacing more than I need to, thats why I want budget choice.
rpope

The Q6600 doesn't have built in DDR3 support, it requires the mobo to … The Q6600 doesn't have built in DDR3 support, it requires the mobo to supply the support.Had a look round and can't see g620 plus mobo plus 4 gig ram for anywhere near the £70 quoted above.The pc will not be on 24/7 only when needed so no point replacing more than I need to, thats why I want budget choice.

Q6600 does not support any specific RAM, as it doesn't have integrated memory controller, so your comment is quite pointless.

G620 - £45
Kingston 4GB DDR3 - £17
ASRock H61M-HVS - £34

get £70 for CPU, something for the current RAM and it will cost you probably £10 overall.

you might even get a fiver for the faulty mobo on eBay.

Edited by: "kunyk" 21st Jul 2012
Got a cheap £22 Acer board from pcworld a few weeks back - 775 but needed to replace ram to DDR3 - yes DDR3... works no probs btw lol ;-)

Anyway worked out cheaper to buy DDR3 and sell my old DDR2 exteme on ebay for profit !

As far as Q6600 goes ebay prices seem to be around £55 for the chip now, so dont hold out for £70. To me the Q6600 is still a stonking chip though so worth keeping just for the fun factor of overclocking it very very easily.
I bet it was Asus not Acer...
Yep soz kunyk Asus not Acer ;-)
I am using q6600 right now and have been for years now, never fails to perform.

the ram has nothing to do with the processor looooool

if the motherboard supports ddr3 ram then pretty much any socket 775 motherboard will do.

I am currently using 8GB ddr3 with the q6600.

The ddr3 motherboard shouldn't be more than £40 and ddr3 ram is so cheap now a days anyways.

for a 775 ddr2 motherboard go look on ebay.
ebuyer.com/267…s2p

So many to choose, all new ones now will have DDR3 (as per pcangeldust) support but this is dirt cheap to get. Your second hand DDR2 is probably worth more. I would stick with Gigabyte or Asus in the cheaper range

Edited by: "newbie1001" 21st Jul 2012
pcangeldust

the ram has nothing to do with the processor looooool

Core 2 and older Intel chips had a memory controller on the motherboard, thus the motherboard determines what memory can be used.

Newer Intel chips have a memory controller integrated into the CPU and thus the CPU determines what memory can be used.

AMD switched to CPU memory controllers way back when they released the Athlon 64, circa 2003.
dxx

Oh, I remember you from the Maplin weather station thread. I think the … Oh, I remember you from the Maplin weather station thread. I think the problem with you is that you're an infant. You've experienced what you've experienced of the world, and from your limited experiences of it, you've decided that you know everything about it, and are incapable of seeing things in a different way. In this instance, passmark means absolutely nothing. With a media server, you're not running anything on the server, you're just streaming data from it. This requires very, very little CPU power, and thus, it's pointless to have an overclocked quad-core Q6600 in there. Your priorities in a file server aren't CPU speed, they're energy efficiency, stability, reliability, low heat production, and quietness. You can run an overclocked Q6600 in a file server if you like, but it's going to use a lot of energy, it's going to crash more often, it's going to make more noise, and the extra heat generated in conjunction with the inflated load on the PSU is only going to encourage hardware failure. Can you think of any relevant advantages an overclocked Q6600 would have in a simple file server?

You are missing the point - at what point did I say he should overclock the processor? I was pointing out that with any G41 motherboard there isn't a lot of head room for overclocking. As I gave steps to how to overclock further (search on the net, its unlikely you will run into threads telling you to do that, because I worked it out on my own) I find it rediculous that you can try and insult my knowledge - especially when you bought that POS weather machine.

My main point was that selling a more powerful CPU and RAM to buy a less powerful CPU, new RAM and Processor over just buying a motherboard is a **** stupid idea. As was buying the weather station.

I think the problem with you is that you are an old person with a lot of money to waste that believes they have experienced everything of the world, and because you are older you've decided that you know everything and anyone younger is clearly wrong, and you are incapable of seeing things in a different way.

Thanks for the advice, have gone for the board posted by newbie1001 plus 4GB ddr3 memory, when it comes will ebay the ddr2 memory and old board and use the Q6600 in the new mobo.
^ "when it comes will ebay the ddr2 memory" That's why, I questioned why you were looking at a DDR3 board...amazon.co.uk/MSI…el-2xDDR3-mATX

But there you go...who cares.
Edited by: "Discente" 22nd Jul 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants