Best Builder's Merchants and tips?

Posted 1st May 2022
We have a home extension project coming up and will be sourcing building materials from local builder's merchants (for items not best sourced online/direct). I would really appreciate any tips on the best merchants to use for certain items or how to get the best value for our spend. Many thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Start looking on Facebook marketplace.

Plenty of people sell stuff left over or not required from their own projects.
    Everything is so expensive! I had to go to wicks for ironmongery jewsons for wood and a local outlet for something else for the same project! I think unfortunately as your sourcing yourself you have to do the leg work yourself. If you have anyone with a trade account maybe ask if you can use their accounts for a discounted price!
    When I had a conservatory built souced the materials myself and saved about 8 grand. From the grounds work to the windows! (edited)
    neversay01/05/2022 12:06

North Yorkshire. There's a wide range of Jewsons, Howdens, Wickes, …North Yorkshire. There's a wide range of Jewsons, Howdens, Wickes, Buildbase, James Burrell, MKM, Travis Perkins, Selco, Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix, etc. - most of which would deliver here. I wasn't sure if the pricing is all competitive/similar (or if some have more keen prices in certain areas), access to trade or bulk discounts, etc. Thanks.

I'm in West Yorkshire and my local builders merchants were recently taken over by huws grey. Used them a few times and they have been very good and much cheaper than B&Q and the like. (edited)
    I would suggest you go to you local TP, Jewsons, etc. and speak with manager to see if they can offer discount if you have a big DIY project. Yorkshire timber is good for timber, again speak with branch manager to see if they can offer 10% discount. Selco prices are good but if you can get a trade account with Wickes you can enjoy 10% off. Screwfix /Toolstation also good on plumbing/electricity stuff.
    Author
    Azwipe01/05/2022 11:16

You might want to say were your local builders merchants are located

North Yorkshire. There's a wide range of Jewsons, Howdens, Wickes, Buildbase, James Burrell, MKM, Travis Perkins, Selco, Wickes, B&Q, Screwfix, etc. - most of which would deliver here. I wasn't sure if the pricing is all competitive/similar (or if some have more keen prices in certain areas), access to trade or bulk discounts, etc. Thanks.
    You might want to say were your local builders merchants are located
    Author
    Thanks and - good tips, thanks. Yes prices through the roof so there's a substantial amount to be saved by shopping around. In the best I have found that builders don't care and just pass on the cost to you (or are incentivised by free golfing weekends from certain merchants).
    Author
    Killer01/05/2022 23:45

I would suggest you go to you local TP, Jewsons, etc. and speak with manage …I would suggest you go to you local TP, Jewsons, etc. and speak with manager to see if they can offer discount if you have a big DIY project. Yorkshire timber is good for timber, again speak with branch manager to see if they can offer 10% discount. Selco prices are good but if you can get a trade account with Wickes you can enjoy 10% off. Screwfix /Toolstation also good on plumbing/electricity stuff.

Thanks that's great advice.
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants