Groups
    EXPIRED

Best Camera for £100 - £150

I don't know too much about digital cameras, I always end up buying duff Samsung ones where the batteries last 3 minutes

Can anyone recommend a decent camera for £100 to £150, I read some good magazine reviews for the Canon IXUS 85 which is £147 on Amazon but have been put off by a few of the reviews on the site.

My only requirements are good picture quality (not fussed about mega pixels) and it must have it's own battery!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as looking to have it asap for the birth of my baby boy which could happen at any time!

15 Comments

for digicam your option would be either Canon, Panasonic, or Casio

they're at the upper end of your price range, but the panasonic lumix tz series is a very very good quality sturdy camera (i have tz1 - latest is tz8 i believe - your money should get you a tz5)

they have great lenses which is the absolute first thing you need to look for in a camera - certainly not how many megapixels it has - that means nowt quite frankly

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;5122626

they have great lenses which is the absolute first thing you need to look … they have great lenses which is the absolute first thing you need to look for in a camera - certainly not how many megapixels it has - that means nowt quite frankly

Couldn't agree more, I was suckered in on the megapixel thing when i got my last camera 2 years back, 10 megapixels but couldn't focus and the colours were awful! even my phone put it to shame!

scrumpypaul;5122626

they're at the upper end of your price range, but the panasonic lumix tz … they're at the upper end of your price range, but the panasonic lumix tz series is a very very good quality sturdy camera (i have tz1 - latest is tz8 i believe - your money should get you a tz5)they have great lenses which is the absolute first thing you need to look for in a camera - certainly not how many megapixels it has - that means nowt quite frankly

TZ5 is a good cmera indeed
    - 10 optical zoom
    - good image quality

but

theyre still over £150 (0n amazon at least) and
    theyre a bit big for pocket camera category

I know you said you did't want Samsung but I have this and it is an excellent camera with a unique touch flo system and a pretty good manual mode if you want to use it. Battery life is great and charges from usb or socket. Removable battery too. Oh it is pink so the Mrs might want to keep it for extra baby pics for when you are out to keep you updated.
    ]http//ww…357
    Here is a link to my Flickr account, you will see some of the pics I have taken using this camera. Obviosly ignore silly ones. ]http//ww…rd/

Original Poster

Soziberry;5122725

I know you said you did't want Samsung but I have this and it is an … I know you said you did't want Samsung but I have this and it is an excellent camera with a unique touch flo system and a pretty good manual mode if you want to use it. Battery life is great and charges from usb or socket. Removable battery too. Oh it is pink so the Mrs might want to keep it for extra baby pics for when you are out to keep you updated.]http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153357Here is a link to my Flickr account, you will see some of the pics I have taken using this camera. Obviosly ignore silly ones. ]http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekybird/

It's not that I don't want a Samsung, more I just keep buying rubbish ones!

Thanks for the info, it definately is the happier side of my budget!

Original Poster

o.k i'm now looking at Canon Powershot SX110 IS

very good reviews on trusted reviews, 189 on jessops minus 5% code minus Cashback = £149.55

Anyone used this model? though it takes AAs

SX110 is indeed TZ series heaviest competitor, good choice...their weak point against TZ series (esp TZ7) is their movie feature

as for AAs... the good think about them is, unlike the dedicated Li-Ion batteries, they are available everywhere in the world.

SO get your self say 4 good high capacity NIMH, a small rapid chargers and off you go. even in the case all of them out of power, alkaline is everywhere

Original Poster

nuabdi;5123501

SX110 is indeed TZ series heaviest competitor, good choice...their weak … SX110 is indeed TZ series heaviest competitor, good choice...their weak point against TZ series (esp TZ7) is their movie feature as for AAs... the good think about them is, unlike the dedicated Li-Ion batteries, they are available everywhere in the world. SO get your self say 4 good high capacity NIMH, a small rapid chargers and off you go. even in the case all of them out of power, alkaline is everywhere

From looking all morning the TZ5 looks to be nearest in price/reviews (like you said it has advantages). Cheapest i can see is a refurb on amazon For 170 incl postage, slightly above 'can explain to the wife territory'!

As for Video we have a cheap 720p camcorder thing which does ok footage but truely awful stills

I really should invest in some good batteries anyway so this will push me in that direction, unless anyone has any better suggestions in the next few hours

if dedicated batteries is your main concern, have a look on other competitors for TZ/SX110 i.e.

Ricoh caplio R10 : testfreaks.co.uk/dig…10/
    or
    Olympus Mju 9000 testfreaks.co.uk/dig…00/

think they have lower score in terms of review though

anyway... goodluck with your new camera and congrats for the new baby!

i'm sure comet and currys were doing the tz4 (maybe tz5) for around 150

please, please, please try it

my mates at work took my advice and they're thrilled with quality and sturdiness of camera

movie function spot on, image stabilisation is great

KILLER feature is 10x optical zoom - i will never, ever go back to a smaller zoom - it just makes a crap long distance pic into something so much better - great for candid or wildlife pics

plus it has it's own tiny (less than matchbox sized) proprietory battery which is good for 4-500 pics between charges

you will not be disappointed

Original Poster

nuabdi;5123710

if dedicated batteries is your main concern, have a look on other … if dedicated batteries is your main concern, have a look on other competitors for TZ/SX110 i.e.Ricoh caplio R10 : http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/digital-cameras/ricoh-r10/or Olympus Mju 9000 http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/digital-cameras/olympus-mju-9000/think they have lower score in terms of review thoughanyway... goodluck with your new camera and congrats for the new baby!

Many thanks for your help, i opted for the Canon, picked it up from Jessops at lunch and loving the quality so far

Price after 5% voucher was £179.55, cashback £30, quidco already validated at £9.36 = grand total of £140.19 which was happilly in my budget

sorry - checked currys, comet, argos - no cheap tz series

Original Poster

scrumpypaul;5124947

i'm sure comet and currys were doing the tz4 (maybe tz5) for around … i'm sure comet and currys were doing the tz4 (maybe tz5) for around 150please, please, please try itmy mates at work took my advice and they're thrilled with quality and sturdiness of cameramovie function spot on, image stabilisation is greatKILLER feature is 10x optical zoom - i will never, ever go back to a smaller zoom - it just makes a crap long distance pic into something so much better - great for candid or wildlife picsplus it has it's own tiny (less than matchbox sized) proprietory battery which is good for 4-500 pics between chargesyou will not be disappointed

Sadly too late althought I was very impressed by the pictures online TZ series and will pointing anyone that asks me in that direction
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927352
      2. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…67
      3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710946
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767240

See more discussions