Best car for motorway commute of 100 miles

Found 2nd May
Hi,

Looking for a car for motorway commute of 100 miles. Budget is around 10K-12K. Have seen good reviews for VW Passat(2013-15). Any suggestions?

Thank you
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
31 Comments
I drive an 11 plate Lexus CT200h hybrid which has a value of around £8k. Extremely comfortable, well spec'ed and economical.

Prior to that, I used to drive a VERY unfashionable 2ltr diesel Mondeo estate. Had 4 of them and they were all brilliant machines. Hugely comfortable. Well spec'ed. Safe. Reliable and cheap to maintain. Can hold an incredible amount of stuff. But not so good for small parking space in some supermarkets. I would expect 45-50 mpg on a sensible commute
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd May
The trouble with anything german is that it tends to have lots of dark plastics and generally gloomy interiors.

Perhaps a Volvo S80, V70 or XC70?
love my 5 series super comfy on long journeys and pretty much all the gadgets you need and a few you don't need. feels safe in all weather conditions. I'd look at an auris sports estate if you want to go hybrid
At that mileage you are probably looking at a Diesel engine. Best bet is probably Skoda Octavia. Avoid the 2.0 diesel ones that have had the emissions update (or anything VW group that have had it). Also consider the 1.4 petrol version as they appear to have good reviews and give good economy. Do not get the semi auto version of anything.

Another good bet would be a Toyota Auris or Avensis. Very boring but should be reliable.

If you look at premium (BMW, Audi etc) it will probably be a couple of years older and could have high repair bills waiting to happen. Personally I would avoid.
If its mainly Motorway and A roads I would go with something comfy with a slush box and cruise control.

I had a 2013 passat as a company car, it was very competent but dull. Thankfully the engine lunched itself after 5k miles and was written off.

But take one for a decent test drive and see what you think.

Personally I would grab an old A8, & series or similar for 4-6k and save the rest of your budget.
Thank you for the suggestions. But I am even more confused. Googled about a good car and passat seems to be the choice but comments here vary from hybrid to pure petrol ones.
Completely forgot;

send an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk

Look at this web site where he gets as this kind of question quite a bit
Thanks ccnp. Anyone has an idea about Lexus RX450h. Looks like a beast but should be comfortable on motorways. Apparently very thirsty though.
Check honda civic in diesel exceptional economy and white comfy
I drive a Focus titanium, lovely to drive. Previously had a Fiesta which did over 160k till I traded under scrappage for the focus. You may want to look into pcp as I had 0% interest on that for the focus and 6k buyout at the end if I want to keep it. I do 100 miles a day to work (50-50).
pavanto1 h, 56 m ago

Thanks ccnp. Anyone has an idea about Lexus RX450h. Looks like a beast but …Thanks ccnp. Anyone has an idea about Lexus RX450h. Looks like a beast but should be comfortable on motorways. Apparently very thirsty though.

Motor point have 2016 passats from 13k with low mileage.
and Motorpoint is exactly where I would go to buy. No idea about the 450 other than it will be expensive to service
cmdr_elito10 h, 33 m ago

I drive a Focus titanium, lovely to drive. Previously had a Fiesta which …I drive a Focus titanium, lovely to drive. Previously had a Fiesta which did over 160k till I traded under scrappage for the focus. You may want to look into pcp as I had 0% interest on that for the focus and 6k buyout at the end if I want to keep it. I do 100 miles a day to work (50-50).

I'm thinking of getting a focus, is it true that the turbo is a common problem(
For that kind of commute I'd checking if going electric or at least hybrid is viable (charging at work) as fuel costs will soon add up.
omar0208 m ago

I'm thinking of getting a focus, is it true that the turbo is a common …I'm thinking of getting a focus, is it true that the turbo is a common problem(

No, turbo is just as reliable as any other car with a turbo.
I am confused between Diesel or Hybrid. Anyone has experience with carshop.co.uk ?
Stick with diesel, hybrids are usually petrol and electric and have electric motors and batteries. More to go wrong. They hardly achieve much better mpg than a good diesel anyway.
Peugeot 308 65+ mpg if driven correctly
Passat is a good option. E-Class Merc's are brilliant mile eaters and you'll step out like you've not done more than a few miles. Go for an Auto though or you'll be stuck with it forever....no-one wants E-Class with manual gearbox
pavanto1 h, 27 m ago

What do you think of this …What do you think of this onehttps://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/VOLKSWAGEN/PASSAT/RX63BKO (It says MPG of 54)or https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/VOLKSWAGEN/PASSAT/MJ15HWF (It says MPG of 70)

The official MPG figures are complete nonsense for most brands and should be ignored. Subaru are accurate and Honda semi-accurate, everything else you want to look at a user reports site like RealMPG or Spritmonitor.

They're both also highish mileage which probably isn't ideal if you're putting a thousand miles a week onto it.

What about something like this:
autotrader.co.uk/cla…e=1

Well padded seats for long term comfort, nice interior, half the mileage and Volvo's well liked 5 Cylinder engine.
I'll throw in the Mazda 6 - not as common as the Germans or Ford / Vauxhall but very reliable and a breeze to drive. I'm on my third now, switched back to petrol due to lower mileage, but my old 2.2 diesel would return 60 - 70 MPG on a motorway run. £10K will get you a 14 plate with ~30K miles or newer with higher mileage. £12K gets you a 15 plate 2.2D Sport with a HUD.
On that mileage, I would definitely go for diesel. Like a previous reply, I too am on my 3rd Mazda 6 (2.2, 175bhp) and it is very economic (daily 70 mile commute). My OH had a Honda Civic 1.6 diesel and that was extremely economic, especially on motorway trips.
pavanto2 h, 25 m ago

What do you think of this …What do you think of this onehttps://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/VOLKSWAGEN/PASSAT/RX63BKO (It says MPG of 54)or https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/VOLKSWAGEN/PASSAT/MJ15HWF (It says MPG of 70)

They are high mileage which can be ok but there will be plenty lower mileage ones out there. See if you can stretch there are lots of low mileage passats out there as mentioned earlier motor point have 16 plates still with warranty for around your money.

motorpoint.co.uk/veh…169
Low mileage isn't always a good thing, 50k motorway miles are better than 15k town driving where the dpf won't have been doing many regenerations. A well serviced car can go 300k plus with out giving you too many headaches.
.MUFC.8 h, 53 m ago

No, turbo is just as reliable as any other car with a turbo.

Cheers mate thinking about getting a 2007/2010 one
.MUFC.5 h, 56 m ago

Low mileage isn't always a good thing, 50k motorway miles are better than …Low mileage isn't always a good thing, 50k motorway miles are better than 15k town driving where the dpf won't have been doing many regenerations. A well serviced car can go 300k plus with out giving you too many headaches.

agree but if comparing a 5 year old with 90K against a 1.5 year old with 12K, in your budget I know which I would be going for.
omar02010 h, 51 m ago

I'm thinking of getting a focus, is it true that the turbo is a common …I'm thinking of getting a focus, is it true that the turbo is a common problem(

Turbos are common problems on all modern cars, I was told that on my 2009 1.6 turbo diesel fiesta, it did over 160k with no turbo issues or DPF issues, I did change the oil regularly, every 6-9 months (due to mileage) and use cataclean every 6 months so probably why. In my opinion most problems with turbos are caused by poor servicing, it’s also worth understanding what garages do service and don’t service as part of a service. On diesel cars it’s rare for a fuel filter to be looked at for example even though it’s recommended it’s done at certain mileage’s and I was getting about 35k out of mine (replaced them myself as cheaper). Clutch and cam belt were done at 90k (clutch was done as slave went and pedal was extremely heavy), alternator went at 140k and the only other stuff was coil springs, anti roll bar thingys, tie rod ends, exhaust which were replaced once around 120k and as needed brake pads, discs and tyres. Was a good car.

My focus is on 10k since December and no problems so far, still like new.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 3rd May
cmdr_elito35 m ago

Turbos are common problems on all modern cars, I was told that on my 2009 …Turbos are common problems on all modern cars, I was told that on my 2009 1.6 turbo diesel fiesta, it did over 160k with no turbo issues or DPF issues, I did change the oil regularly, every 6-9 months (due to mileage) and use cataclean every 6 months so probably why. In my opinion most problems with turbos are caused by poor servicing, it’s also worth understanding what garages do service and don’t service as part of a service. On diesel cars it’s rare for a fuel filter to be looked at for example even though it’s recommended it’s done at certain mileage’s and I was getting about 35k out of mine (replaced them myself as cheaper). Clutch and cam belt were done at 90k (clutch was done as slave went and pedal was extremely heavy), alternator went at 140k and the only other stuff was coil springs, anti roll bar thingys, tie rod ends, exhaust which were replaced once around 120k and as needed brake pads, discs and tyres. Was a good car. My focus is on 10k since December and no problems so far, still like new.

Cheers for the info will keep on mind
Kia sportage, as it has 7 years warranty, as all kia's do. Good car. Kia also come very high in the J.D. power survey. VW and other top cars were a lot lower. Cheak the 2018 and 2017 survey online.
About Sportage, it's 4 wheel drive so guess fuel economy not that great. Used to have Kia ceed. Very reliable but not so comfortable...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants