best car insurance for new young driver

9 replies
Found 2nd Jul
Hi just wondering what insurance you found cheapest for new young driver. Had quote from bell in may for £1136 with black box however just tried again and now it's up to £1876 :O

9 Comments

Does Pass Plus make any difference to the quote? My son did pass Plus through our local council, only cost £20.
gov.uk/pas…nts
Edited by: "ellenw" 2nd Jul

Black box is generally how it goes these days.

Try phoning endsleigh they do a student discount.

ellenw43 m ago

Does Pass Plus make any difference to the quote? My son did pass Plus …Does Pass Plus make any difference to the quote? My son did pass Plus through our local council, only cost £20.https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/local-councils-offering-discounts

​wasnt when i passed nearly 4 years ago

Pass plus is either very little difference or no difference on the premium. It's all about how you do the quote that matters. As a new driver get your mum and dad on as named drivers. Definitely go for a telematics policy but choose a company who doesn't increase the price based on your driving. Bell and Admiral are good as you can also get a telematics discount and also get a Multi Car discount if your mum or dad join at their renewal (more cars more discount).

Also put your mileage about 7-8k per annum as that is the best for prices. Always add a bit to the market value of your car in the quote as well, this will help the price. Hope that helps.

Have you ever seen a website called marmalade before? As long as you havent already bought a car and the person youre trying to insure is between 17-24 then you get to pick a new car with 12 months insurance. It might work out better for you. The wesite is wearemarmalade.co.uk/

Edited by: "dbibby1988" 2nd Jul

Original Poster

jimbo001

Black box is generally how it goes these days. Try phoning endsleigh they … Black box is generally how it goes these days. Try phoning endsleigh they do a student discount.

I've gone for mostly black box insurance and still getting sky high quotes as I'm only 21 and been passed 7 months but not student

Original Poster

JohnnyRoller

Pass plus is either very little difference or no difference on the … Pass plus is either very little difference or no difference on the premium. It's all about how you do the quote that matters. As a new driver get your mum and dad on as named drivers. Definitely go for a telematics policy but choose a company who doesn't increase the price based on your driving. Bell and Admiral are good as you can also get a telematics discount and also get a Multi Car discount if your mum or dad join at their renewal (more cars more discount). Also put your mileage about 7-8k per annum as that is the best for prices. Always add a bit to the market value of your car in the quote as well, this will help the price. Hope that helps.

Great thanks for the advice, I've added my partner who has been driving for 11 years no claims as my Mam has just passed herself so no use to me lol. I got cheapest quote from admiral with black box but still really high. I put my mileage as 4000 as don't think I'd use that much but if I increase would that help?

When I was looking for insurance for my 17 y/o son; adding MY name (full NCB, no points), put the already high Premium UP!!

Removing my name and sticking Grandma on there (either 3 or 6 points on her licence, I forget), and the quote dropped by £600.

Go figure.

I have heard that the time of month and time of year can affect the quote amount.
Not sure of the reason why though.

Make sure you add as many older drivers on there as you can (they dont even need to be people who will drive the car - e.g it could be a neighbour) - It is NOT against insurance rules to do this! This does significantly bring down the price.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?32
    2. Driving anxiety.1517
    3. Xbox Newbie34
    4. private number44

See more discussions