Best car reverse camera

Found 1st Jul
Hi all,

I've spent many man hours looking for the best reverse camera in the market to hook up to an android head unit in my car.

I thought I'd put the list out here if anyone else is looking to add one to their car.

The criteria for me was:

- IP69 / IP69K rating
- CCD
- Infrared LED's (night vision)
- 420 TVL or above
- 1/4 or 1/3 sensor

The cameras shortlisted are the ones below, I have them arriving in the next few days, so will test them out and update shortly.

There's a couple of different mounting options, so hopefully one of them sits at a good angle on my car.

Camera 1:
amazon.co.uk/dp/…RS0

Camera 2:
rover.ebay.com/rov…367

Camera 3:
rover.ebay.com/rov…437
Community Updates
10 Comments
Will keep an eye for the reviews. What android head unit did you get?
I wouldn't think you could get the best one on the market for £15-30.
The wife loud to!
Edited by: "wayners" 1st Jul
deeky3 h, 6 m ago

I wouldn't think you could get the best one on the market for £15-30.

Most head units take RCA video input (yellow video cable) for their reverse cameras. The max resolution for RCA is limited to 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL).

So we're far from 1080p or 4K, they still use these resolutions on some new cars coming out of the factory. So that's why they seem cheap, because reverse cameras use outdated interfaces.
StillTheFlyest3 h, 51 m ago

Will keep an eye for the reviews. What android head unit did you get?

The Xtron TE706PL - it's a great head unit, I mainly use Deezer or Spotify for music on it. It has the app store, so you can get any app.

You can add DAB+ at an additional cost, rear headset monitors, dashcam etc. I'm on a stock firmware with just a change of home launcher, but there are custom firmwares available at xdadevelopers forum (malaysk) to really go one step further.

When i use Google Maps, I've set it to launch Tom Tom Speed Cameras app in the background. It's linked to 'OK Google', so you can control it through voice.

It's pretty decent

34206047.jpg
Edited by: "TazH" 1st Jul
All 3 cameras gave great quality, it just comes down to which can fit properly on my own car without looking out of place.

I have a saloon with a flush boot and the licence plate is on the bumper, so there's limited space for where i can mount them. All 3 cameras wouldn't suit my car, but they would suit others.

Camera 1 is very bulky / large and only really looks alright mounted to a licence plate holder on a larger car.

Camera 2 is larger than most reverse cameras, so it looks out of place for where i can fit it, it's more suited to an SUV or a van.

Camera 3 again is quite large and would mean drilling a 35mm hole in the bumper for my car. Would suit a car that has removable black mesh in their bumper, so that you can replace the panel if the camera goes faulty or if you want to remove it.

I need a smaller camera, so most tend to be IP68, so I've decided to drop to IP68 to get a more smaller camera. The next ones I'm looking at are:

Camera 3:
rover.ebay.com/rov…800

Camera 4:
amazon.co.uk/dp/…G7N
Forgot to update this, so in the end I've actually kept a different camera: amazon.co.uk/dp/B073S4K6L6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

The issue i faced with my headunit is that there was no facility to create your own parking lines (some headunits do have the facility).

If i was to use the lines the cameras came with, the wheels would easily end up curbed as they weren't accurate and weren't adjustable. The other cameras couldn't switch off the built in reverse lines on the cameras either (On Xtron headunits, if you root the device, you can edit the image file for the headunit lines on photoshop, but it's a PITA).

So i decided to go with the camera above, it allows you to edit the lines with a wired remote, which is great, the 180 degree view is a true 180 unlike other cameras that make the claim but are actually more like 110 degrees.

The above camera'a night vision isn't great, as there isn't any infrared LED's, however it's good enough to get by. You could always fit some seperate infrared bulbs into the rear of the car, although I've not seen any yet. If there's street lighting nearby then it's ok.

During the day the quality is great, I customised the lines by parking the car at an Asda car park, it's simple then to gauge the angles/ distances needed. It works really well, very accurate and I use it daily. I've just stuck it down with a 3M tape it comes with, however best to screw it down encase it moves slightly from driving. I'm waiting a couple of weeks to ensure it doesn't fail before i screw it down. As it's IP67 it's not recommended to jetwash directly (although some websites say differently, the Amazon listing says to avoid jetwashing it).

The only bad point for me is due to the low location i have to mount it and due to the bulb-like camera lense, when it rains water sticks to it like glue, so you only get around 50% visability. I'm not sure what it's like with manufacturer fitted cameras, however i'd only recommend fitting one if it's sheltered where you'l be mounting it or if you have reverse sensors too ideally.
Edited by: "TazH" 18th Jul
TazH1st Jul

The Xtron TE706PL - it's a great head unit, I mainly use Deezer or Spotify …The Xtron TE706PL - it's a great head unit, I mainly use Deezer or Spotify for music on it. It has the app store, so you can get any app.You can add DAB+ at an additional cost, rear headset monitors, dashcam etc. I'm on a stock firmware with just a change of home launcher, but there are custom firmwares available at xdadevelopers forum (malaysk) to really go one step further.When i use Google Maps, I've set it to launch Tom Tom Speed Cameras app in the background. It's linked to 'OK Google', so you can control it through voice.It's pretty decent [Image]

I wouldn't recommend DAB+ on these. It's crap, Struggle to get signal even with the best antennas. I've now got factory fitted DAB on my current car and can't believe how much better it is ;).

When I had a similar device I bought a licence plate camera like this one
.MUFC.1 h, 11 m ago

I've now got factory fitted DAB on my current car and can't believe how …I've now got factory fitted DAB on my current car and can't believe how much better it is

34405575-lNh0J.jpg
.MUFC.9 h, 33 m ago

I wouldn't recommend DAB+ on these. It's crap, Struggle to get signal even …I wouldn't recommend DAB+ on these. It's crap, Struggle to get signal even with the best antennas. I've now got factory fitted DAB on my current car and can't believe how much better it is ;). When I had a similar device I bought a licence plate camera like this one

The aerials Xtron supplier are weak, the best aerial to get for DAB+ is running an external one, however i don't have any on the roof to replace so rather just stick with the intermittment DAB for now
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions