Found 7th Jul 2015
Looking to buy a car from a private seller and looking to do a HPI check on it. I can see plenty of cheap text services, but none seem to mention about outstanding finance. Anyone got any recommendations a bit cheaper than the £20 from HPI direct.

1. Ask
  2. HPI
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. HPI
6 Comments

No one will do as good as a check as hpi direct. Others will tell you about possible previous crashes but hpi will tell you if it still has outstanding hire purchase.

Its £20 well spent if parting with a sizeable lump of cash to a private buyer.

Ive worked for years previously in the motor trade and you hear a lot if horror stories of people not realising there is outstanding finance on the car and having either lost it or paying the outstanding to keep the car.

In my opinion do the hpi check...

RAC is £15 rac.co.uk/buy…ort
And there is £3 quidco cashback.

have used the RAC checks many times in the past and they have been very comprehensive and always cheaper than HPI direct

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Not done any check yet, but the seller of the car I'm interested in has now told me there is finance outstanding on the car, which he aims clear off once I buy the car.
Should I walk away or believe him on face value?

mudddy

Thanks for the replies.Not done any check yet, but the seller of the car … Thanks for the replies.Not done any check yet, but the seller of the car I'm interested in has now told me there is finance outstanding on the car, which he aims clear off once I buy the car.Should I walk away or believe him on face value?

At least they told you upfront there is outstanding finance, so not trying to pull a fast one.

Can be a bit tricky but no means walk away if the car is what you want and the deal is agreeable.

First off establish if it is a hire purchase or personal loan outstanding on the vehicle. If HP it will show on the HPI report and be attached to the vehicle. If its a personal loan then has nothing to do with the vehicle so no comeback on the vehicle itself.

I have known people to pay off the outstanding balance to the HP company whist there collecting the car and any leftover balance to the seller. But you have to be sure you are paying the outstanding balance to the correct place, and honestly I would not be keen on this method.

BUT easiest and safest for you would be if happy with the car leave a small deposit say £50/100 on the basis they settle the finance within a day or so and then when collecting the car both call the finance house to confirm the finance has been settled. And pay balance.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322841
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564105
    3. Add one, leave one game54315402
    4. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine33

See more discussions