Expired

Best companies for help claiming PPI with not much info please?

Found 28th Mar 2016
Hi There

Please help if poss. We would really like to check to see if my wife and I are due any money back from PPI, which would be very useful right now to help me out with debts. The problem is we are both ex Students who moved around many houses and had lots of loans and credit cards over the last 10 years, we are both so busy at the mo and finding all the info regarding card companies, policies and even our old addresses is going to be a nightmare so we were wondering if there are any reliable firms out there that can do a lot (even better most) of the leg work for us? We accept that they will take a chunk of anything they uncover and we are happy to do that up to around 25% so can anyone offer us any advice with who to go with for the best results please?

Any help would be very very much appreciated as as I said our debt problems are worsening so this would be a great start for us.

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Something people don't know is that if you go to your local Citizens Advice Beaur
fonzie2107

Something people don't know is that if you go to your local Citizens … Something people don't know is that if you go to your local Citizens Advice Beaur

Something people don't know is that if you go to your local Citizens Advice ​Bureau, they will help you claim back any PPI.
Most of the other companies will charge for the privilege.
Please don't use a firm. They will only ask the very same info a bank/card/loan company will want, then they will fleece you 30-40% of your payout, plus possibly add a few "admin fees" to snatch some more of your money. They are thieves who prey on lazy or vulnerable people.

If you're really that desperate for this money, YOU will find the time to do it.

Info you need is HERE
Edited by: "artnada" 28th Mar 2016
You can print the forms off from your banks website, its surprisingly easy. Or phone your bank they can do all the leg work for you.
You are better off doing it yourself. All you need is the bank and your names. which you will have to give PPI
anyway. Write a simple letter or can even ring them. They will check and let you know. Thats why the PPI
companies are so desperate to get a cut of your money. You don't even need account details. If you have them, it will help you but banks will check that. Don't give away up to 40% of the money you are due.

Its really easy to do and as you say, already in debt and so this money will help you.

This is what PPI companies do. Write on your behalf. banks check and award you the money.
But then you must pay the PPI their cut. Go direct to banks. Not much involved.
Have much the same question, my parents had a mortgage 20 years ago (93-98) on which they payed PPI. Unfortunately they do not have the paper work, they know which bank and amounts involved but the bank (Woolwhich now barclays) are insisting their records only go back 6 years.

I have heard that the claim companies can help in these type of cases.
Claim compnies will only have the same info you do.
I sent off the standard letter template found on martin Lewis website to no avail.
All my banks said I was due nothing.

At this point I had 100% of nothing.

I signed up to a company (stakeyourclaim) who then contacted all my current and previous banks, nothing to lose...

They got me £7k.

I gained 90% of £7k.

10% fee, no further charges.

All the advice above is good.
It does sound though as if you are likely to have a lot of debt(s) and to your now credit you think this is the right time to get these sorted. PPI is only part of the solution and in the process you may discover debts you had forgotten about. There are a number of charitable organisations that can assist you - one is the Citizens Advice Bureau as already mentioned - so first off read these two pages from their website and then take the next steps along the road of debt free (or limited) lives.
Debt and money >Help with debt >Options for getting out of debt >Checking your options[/b]
[b] Debt and money>Help with debt >Options for getting out of debt> Choosing between options

There are at least 3 credit reference agencies in the UK. You can go to any of them to get a Statutory Credit Report which costs no more than £2. DO NOT PAY any more than this for some fancy other product they may supply. This report will list all the debts that they have on record for you. You may have to ask for a report for each individual.
These are the 3 links:-
experian.co.uk/con…tml
equifax.co.uk/Pro…tml
https://www.callcreditstatreport.co.uk/

tardytortoise

All the advice above is good.It does sound though as if you are likely to … All the advice above is good.It does sound though as if you are likely to have a lot of debt(s) and to your now credit you think this is the right time to get these sorted. PPI is only part of the solution and in the process you may discover debts you had forgotten about. There are a number of charitable organisations that can assist you - one is the Citizens Advice Bureau as already mentioned - so first off read these two pages from their website and then take the next steps along the road of debt free (or limited) lives. Debt and money >Help with debt >Options for getting out of debt >Checking your options[/b][b] Debt and money>Help with debt >Options for getting out of debt> Choosing between optionsThere are at least 3 credit reference agencies in the UK. You can go to any of them to get a Statutory Credit Report which costs no more than £2. DO NOT PAY any more than this for some fancy other product they may supply. This report will list all the debts that they have on record for you. You may have to ask for a report for each individual. These are the 3 links:-http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.htmlhttp://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.htmlhttps://www.callcreditstatreport.co.uk/

noddle.co.uk

clearscore.com

Couple of free options also.
Original Poster
Hi there

Thanks all for the wonderful help, it is all very much appreciated. I am going to spend today looking better into this and sending letters, I will let you know how I get on.
Original Poster
Hi all, so just an update on where we are at. I did mine and my wife's credit record through Noddle, a very useful exercise as it gave us details of lots of credit cards and a couple of loans we knew we had, plus some cards that we had totally forgotten about. The only thing is we only had the insurance policy details for one loan with Citifinancial, so we filled in the full FOS form to send off to them and for all the other cards and loans that we had very little info we have just filled in the template letter from the Martin Lewis website that asks the companies for our account and insurance details for closed accounts.

I will be sending 13 letters off tomorrow via recorded delivery but just wanted to check that we are going the right way about this please? I guess if the above is correct then we wait until we get the account details back from the lender and check whether we paid PPI or not, then fill in the FOS form for any accounts with insurance paid?

Does this sound right? I shall hold off sending the letters until I get some responses to let me know we are going the right way about it.

Many Thanks in advance for all your help, this website and all you HUKD'ers are awesome!
Sounds like you've got it right. Send them off now as there's a cut off time limit for claiming. Check Mse for more info.
Original Poster
Hi all, We have heard back from Capital One to confirm that my wife previously had PPI on her credit card account, she was told she would need to take this out and was very much pushed into doing so, so we will be claiming. Is the next step to just send the FOS form off to them? What is the best wording to use on the claim form to ensure that our claim will be taken seriously and has the best chance of being refunded please? Thanks a lot.
There are templates on the Money saving expert site.
Bootcutboy

Hi all, We have heard back from Capital One to confirm that my wife … Hi all, We have heard back from Capital One to confirm that my wife previously had PPI on her credit card account, she was told she would need to take this out and was very much pushed into doing so, so we will be claiming. Is the next step to just send the FOS form off to them? What is the best wording to use on the claim form to ensure that our claim will be taken seriously and has the best chance of being refunded please? Thanks a lot.

How can your wife remember she was told she must take it out and pushed into doing so if you couldnt remember whether you had PPI with them in the first place? oO
Original Poster
artnada

There are templates on the Money saving expert site.

Many Thanks

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions